Author Topic: how to cut hair very short ?  (Read 21626 times)

Offline iCyborg

• Sly Guy in Training
how to cut hair very short ?
« on: August 12, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »
Hi guys,a noobie here  :) just saw the forum in google search and thought of registering and posting here.

I am 25 and balding and feels I am better off having very short hair. Now I am looking for a recommendation about which hair shaver to use ? and what kind of setting and features will I have in it ?

Thanks

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: how to cut hair very short ?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:44:45 PM »
Any set of barber clippers should do. Walmart or Target will have an assortment to choose from.

Offline iCyborg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 05:48:44 PM »
Hi bootedbear, thanks for quick reply

well I am not in USA and is planning to order the kit online (will go with Panasonic most likely) to save time.

Do you have some recommendations ? I am sure such questions must have been answered in the past so I will search in the forum too when I had time

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 06:55:53 PM »
Mach3 or Fusion from Gillette.  Go all the way!  :)

Any hair clippers should do.  If you are looking for multiple attachments for beard, moustache, nose, ears, et al, Norelco and Panasonic have several with multiple attachments to do just that.  I used a Norelco like this with no comb attachment to finish off mine before shaving it completely.  If you are looking specifically for hair clippers, all of them should be fairly standard and come with variable length combs.  A number 2 comb will leave your hair about 6mm in length.

Hope this helps!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 07:15:28 PM »
Welcome iCyborg.  As the others have said, any clippers with a setting that goes to zero will be fine.  I'll second Antimidas' vote for the Mach3.  Does a great smooth job.   Be sure to check out the various posts in Head Shaving section for shave creams/oils to use as well as ideas on post shaving techniques.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 01:23:12 AM »
1)  WELCOME!  You should post up in the Intro section to let your entrance be announced. 
2)  I don't buzz the hair anymore, but go to any general store, or where hair accessories are sold.  And then remove the guard and buzz it down!  Be careful.  I don't know what country you are in and where to get such supplies, so I don't know where specifically you should go.  I just bought a cheap one and it worked fine. 
3)  If you like that consider going "all the way" with a razor. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 01:23:36 AM »
4) Cool name!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 05:20:06 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Borg!!!! You will be assimilated....resistance is futile!!! :*))
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline iCyborg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 08:22:09 AM »
Thanks for the warm reply guys  :)

I probbaly won't be going "all the way" right now but will keep crop cut (8 mm length) though I am slightly worried as I have never used clippers and trial and error probably is not a good idea with them   ;)

I will go through the forum poss and may be watch some youtube videos to understand how exactly a person can cut his hair close, specially of the back without hurting himself

Edit - one more thing, are these rotors effective ? Remington Classic R9410 Titanium Rotary are compared to these Remington HC600 Cordless Hair Clipper

I am seeing a huge difference in prices from $20 to $200 for clippers  :Xo!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:38:22 AM by Tyler »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:41:29 AM »
Well, the two razors that you are looking at are for completely different purposes.  The Rotary is going to shave you to a complete 0 and will get you a shave similar to using a regular blade.  The Hair Clipper is going to help you take it down to different levels with the attachments.  This is probably the one you want if you want to just buzz your hair right now. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline iCyborg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 08:54:42 AM »
aha great, so the second one it is  :)

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
You won't have to worry about screwing it up if you put the comb attachment on right.  Just turn it on and use it like a comb.  It will take care of the rest.  Against the grain is best because it will lift the hair and cut it evenly instead of laying it down and passing over it.  Generally, go from the neck or forehead toward the top back (crown) and towards the part in your hair.  Depending on your crown, you might have to go at that spot a couple different directions to get all of the hair even.

Look at the guide that comes with it for examples on how to hold it though.  If you hold it upside down, you are going to get it closer than you want.   :)

MikeInPdx

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
You might want to see if the Remington Shortcut is available online. Basically, it's a clipper that's designed to be held like a hair brush and works in both directions.

It comes with a balding blade (the one I tried) attached, so change it to the other comb before you try it.

It wasn't for me, but they're pretty neat and very hard to screw up a haircut with.

http://www.remingtonshortcut.com

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 03:12:31 PM »
If I might ask, why was it not for you Mike.?

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »
You might want to see if the Remington Shortcut is available online. Basically, it's a clipper that's designed to be held like a hair brush and works in both directions.

It comes with a balding blade (the one I tried) attached, so change it to the other comb before you try it.

It wasn't for me, but they're pretty neat and very hard to screw up a haircut with.

http://www.remingtonshortcut.com
WOW!  It's like a hairbrush that buzzes your hair!  I LOVE THAT GADGET!  Seriously, this comes close to making me want to grow hair just so I can use that thing.

You don't know me, but I know you.