Author Topic: How I'm coping with my baldness  (Read 5367 times)

Offline baldconfidence

• Learning the way of Sly
How I'm coping with my baldness
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:49:31 PM »
Hey guys. I've been reading the forums on SBG for quite some time now and I have to say that reading all of your thoughts and experiences has really helped me a lot.

A little about myself and my hair loss: I first realized i was losing my hair just over 2 years ago (when i was 19). I had fairly thick hair and over time I noticed that when I wake up in the morning, there would be an excessive amount of hair on my pillow. At first I thought nothing of it, my dad has a full head of hair and it never occurred to me that I would ever lose my hair. Anyway, within a month, I was sitting on the couch and my cousin was talking to me from upstairs, looking over the banister and he said "hey man, i think you're balding". I brushed it off and said no its probably the gel that makes my scalp visible. Within the next 2-3 months my hair was getting considerably thinner and all of my family members were making comments about it. I very quickly lost all of my confidence and even stopped attending social gatherings because of the fear that someone will notice my scalp. Up until today, I avoid going into bright corners of rooms and always tilt my head a little back when taking pictures, to the point where its become second nature. I have been taking propecia for the last year and rogaine for a few months and then stopped. I dont like the idea of taking medication to sustain something I don't need, not to mention its very costly. I HATE that I do this, and I am slowly accepting the fact that I will lose all of my hair. It's been very hard to look at myself in the mirror, but I am gradually accepting the new look.

Anyway, 2 months ago I decided that enough was enough and I took a buzzer and trimmed my hair down to a #3. All my family and friends were shocked for the first week or so, but after that no-one seemed to pay attention to it, and I get a lot of compliments about the shape of my head and that I should keep it this way. I am still a bit uncomfortable with it and at the end of August 2009 I am going to shave it all off! I have trimmed it down to a #2, then a #1 in the next 2-3 weeks, and gradually take it all off!

I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for making me realise that its OKAY to be bald, and most men look better with no hair anyway. I look forward to interacting with all of you and I will keep you posted on going sly!

BaldRob

Re: How I'm coping with my baldness
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »
Great story!  Glad we could be of help... that's what we are here for!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 04:42:41 PM »
Rock on, BC!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

marty22

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 04:42:52 PM »
welcome baldconfidence!

slyatlast

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »
Your ID name says it all. 

Welcome!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »
Great decision - be sure to post up a before and after pic.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 06:57:36 PM »
welcome baldconfidence,
Just like you, hearing the guys here say over and over it's ok to be bald, it's no big deal, you will love
the shaved head, etc.  helped me a lot.   That's why I am sly today.  It's an honour! O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:09:01 PM »
Welcome, good decisions.

Note to Forum:
SBG is rather like the Ever Ready Bunny, it just keeps working and working and working--baldconfidence is yet another success story.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »
Most men look better with a shaved head?  Most?

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:39:11 PM »
Welcome baldconfidence!! Sounds like a great story.. I hope you enjoy the forum and that you ask questions, enjoy the brotherhood and have lots of fun enjoying the place!!
It's all about attitude!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 05:02:47 AM »
Welcome to ythe Forum BC! Excellent intro!

Good for you for realizing that there is NO need to COPE with baldness. Take charge and change it! Way to get off those damn drugs....that's money and health saved in my book.

Keep us posted oon your progress and post up some photos for us.

Peace.......
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 07:18:48 AM »
Welcome Bro O0 Good story for guys who are still on the fence.
Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline baldconfidence

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Antimidas: Let me rephrase that, a lot of men WITH hair look ridiculous because they dont know what to do with it haha.

Anyway, once again thanks for all the positive comments. Its very refreshing to hear this side of the issue after being fed negative comments not just from friends and family, but even things like hair loss commercials that make it seem like a disease or something.

I will post some pictures soon for everyone.

Regards

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 01:16:07 PM »
hair loss commercials that make it seem like a disease or something.

Horse pucky--it is not a disease, disability or disadvantage.  It's just an issue about appearance that we, the guys at SBG, think is best treated w/ a good lather and a sharp blade.   O0 O0  That's an important concept to really put into your mind.  Admittedly there are those who profit, and immense profits at that, off the anxiety that it can produce, but they are truly snake oil salesman.  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:28:48 PM by saintc »

Offline baldconfidence

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »
hair loss commercials that make it seem like a disease or something.

Horse pucky--it is not a disease, disability or disadvantage.  It's just an issue about appearance that we, the guys at SBG, thinks is best treated w/ a good lather and a sharp blade.   O0 O0  That's an important concept to really put into your mind.  Admittedly there are those who profit, and immense profits at that, off the anxiety that it can produce, but they are truly snake oil salesman. 

Definately agree with you on this one. Some people are so emotionally distressed by the change in physical appearance that they will dish out thousands of dollars on something that probably wont make any difference. I guess we are the lucky few that realize you just need to adapt.