Author Topic: Evening from Antimidas!  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
Evening from Antimidas!
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:13:18 PM »
Good evening folks!  Just joined the forum today.  Started shaving my head Monday evening.  I had that nice bald patch on the crown that just kept growing to the point when I got a buzz cut this past sunday, the only hair you could readily see was about a two inch stripe across the front of my head.  Did not like the view from the rear so much, so I decided to take it all off.  As an excuse, I let everyone know that I was donating $5 per person to a friend's breast cancer walk this weekend who just had the irresistible urge to touch my head. (Limit $100) of course.

So I have been doing a lot of reading the past three days and think I have a pretty good procedure down.  But I am still experimenting.  At the end of the hottest shower I can stand using exfoliating body wash, I lube up and strip it all down.  The Fusion Gel and Fusion blade worked great.  I figure it works well on my face, so it should be the best for my scalp.  No complaints, but after using the Headslick and Headblade this evening, there is no comparison - except for the tricky part over the ears when going against the growth.  After shaving, I wash it all off again with soap and then with the coldest water I can.  Made the mistake of doing this in the shower the first time and could not catch a breath for about 2 minutes.  Now I just stick it in the sink under and hit it with the cold water there.  Finish with any type of aftershave lotion with SPF15 at least.

I am still trying to get used to the feel.  My head seems to be a bit numb and feels a bit tight like I am wearing a winter hat.  I don't know what I was expecting it to feel like, but that was not it.  I guess the nerve endings just are not yet used to direct contact and most of the sensation of touch previously came from the follicles being manipulated?  Maybe?  But I sure can feel the breeze when I drive to work in the morning with the windows down.

Trying the Jergens Natural Glow Face to see if that reduces the whiteness.  I am very light skinned as it is and the white is just shocking!  I felt like I was walking into work naked and am getting mostly positive yet mixed opinions.  Maybe color will sway the doubters.

Well, thanks for having me here.  I look forward to lots of reading.

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
Re: Evening from Antimidas!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:28:31 PM »
First off Antimidas,

Let me start off by welcoming you to the SBG Family, we are all glad that you decided to go SLY and that you've joined us. As for washing your head with soap before or after a shave is not a good idea, soap can dry out the skin, instead I highly recomend one of two products, either Bald Guyz Wash and Shampoo ( www.baldguyz.com ) or HeadBlade's Head Wash ( www.headblade.com ), both are spacificly made for the bald head.

The numbing feeling will go away as you get used to shaving your head so don't worry as for the Jergens Natural Glow, I myself have never usedit, but I've heard it works well. Also did you know that HeadBlade now makes a HeadLube moistureizing cream with an SPF30, and Bald Guyz makes a Sun Block also with SPF30.

Lastly I hope that you did not realy take any monie from anyone for your (excuse) or if you have, you actually do donate it.

Keep posting!!
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »
Welcome Antimidas
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline OzPete

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 08:40:24 PM »
Welcome Antimidas!

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 08:48:35 PM »
Welcome brother! I hope you find all that this site has to offer and that you post often and enjoy yourself here!!
It's all about attitude!

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:04:54 PM »
Clarification.  I am not collecting money to donate.  I am donating from my own pocket.  The fact that I am doing it is a secret to everyone at work.  i don't want to be seen as soliciting head rubs.  If someone comes over and rubs my head, I increase the amount of money coming out of my paycheck.  That is why I capped it at $100.  Gotta be able to afford all the shaving gear.   :)

Duly noted on the supplies Tom.  This evening, I switched to the Nivea for men Razor Defense facial products because I had them on hand.  I also switched from the Fusion Gel to the Headslick and that stuff is the best thing EVER.  I have been to a half a dozen drug stores and am surprised at the lack of products available in Minnesota.  Besides, ordering on the net will most often avoid the 7.125% sales tax.

I have not seen any of the SPF30 stuff.  Everything I have seen is a 15.  I thought a 30 would keep the color from coming in, but I read from people here that is not the case.  If I can get my hands on it, I will definitely switch.  I have had the burnt receding area nearly every summer and do not look forward to ever having that any further up.  Now instead of a little virgin scalp, it is all virgin.  And I saw the skin cancer picture on here.  'Nuff said.

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 12:34:48 AM »
I am still trying to get used to the feel.  My head seems to be a bit numb and feels a bit tight like I am wearing a winter hat.  I don't know what I was expecting it to feel like, but that was not it.  I guess the nerve endings just are not yet used to direct contact and most of the sensation of touch previously came from the follicles being manipulated?  Maybe?  But I sure can feel the breeze when I drive to work in the morning with the windows down.

Welcome here, Antimidas!

The numb feeling is a normal experience for the first days. Try to keep it in mind.

Enjoy your new sly head O0

J

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 05:26:19 AM »
Welcome.   And as for the experiementing, continue to do your reading and checking out the variety of techniques in the shaving section and don't be afraid to ask away with any questions.  All the folks here are awesome and ready to help.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

slyatlast

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 06:02:47 AM »
Welcome Antimidas

I remember experiencing the same observations when I first went sly.  Makes me realize how natural the feeling of being sly has become after 10 months.  Just enjoy the "newness" of it all while it lasts.

adam_r_todd

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 06:44:38 AM »
Welcome!  That numb feeling is weird, isn't it?  Kind of fun though.  When the numbness is just a memory, you'll wish you had it back.  :)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys and congrats on your new look!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 09:22:50 AM »
Welcome to SBG AntiMidas! Nice intro....so now join the fun!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 09:24:44 AM »
Welcome Antimidas, so glad you decided to join in on the fun and information.  Visit often and chat to your hearts content.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 09:40:20 AM »
Feels really different.  I really have to get used to air conditioning though.  Keep getting chills running down my spine every time the condenser kicks in over my desk.  *shiver*

People at work and people I have not seen since I decided to shave are still mixed 50/50.  One female co-worker said "did you shave it again?  There is no stubble." and then tried to criticize me when I said yes.  "You really should grow it back."  "I told her to get used to it.  I don't have to look at it all day every day, so it does not bother me at all.  And I kinda like the feel.

The tone will eventually even out.  I do look a bit like a criminal when I don the shades.  But I am single and the ladies love the bad boys.  Been working to my advantage so far even if it is perpetuating the stereotype.

Now I just need to start the P90 program and drop from 260 to 200 pounds and everything will be golden.  Hmm.  Maybe darken the gray hair in the goatee.  My own mother won't even recognize me.  :)

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 12:29:38 PM »
 WELCOME 2 the site..........Looks like minnesotans will soon have a majority rule here...... b*n!