Author Topic: new member, no hair, what razor  (Read 5193 times)

Offline skyman

• Learning the way of Sly
new member, no hair, what razor
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:27:12 AM »
Hi all, I am new member, shaved my noggin for the first time the other day, now my question....
I have read a lot of posts and decided to get a head blade, i saw them before at local drugstore, but they not have it any more so i bought a shick extreme 3 disposable razors, how long are the darn things supposed to last? I barely got my head half done and the first one was dull already.( I shave my face with an electric) 

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090810/sampa18beef3a5030e09.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: new member, no hair, what razor
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 01:12:50 AM »
Most blades should last about 5 to 7 days, though I'm not sure about disposables.  How long was your hair when you started?  What shaving cream where you using? 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 04:09:44 AM »
Sky,

I use the HeadBlade, however, on mine I use Sensor Excell (two blade) razors.  They fit the Headblade with the black adaptor (included with the HeadBlade Sport).  The double blades work best on my dome.  For me, I only get four to five shaves before I chunk the blade.  Check out the many posts on this site for tips and suggestions.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 05:00:50 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Sky!

I am a Headblade user. Before you use it PLEASE look on this Forum about the proper way to use it. The HeadBlade web site also has a video on proper use. Go nice and slow with it initially or you can gouge yourself pretty good.
Also, get some quality shaving products. Many of the guys on here use Head Slick or Bald Guyz Shave Gel. I use both and they are both great products.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 05:36:24 AM »
Welcome Sky.  I too am a Headblade user and love it, though I also augment it with the Mach 3 which does a great job as well.  You should really NEVER use disposable razors as they do a poor job and may give you nicks and cuts.  Invest in a good razor that will stand up to the daily shave and you will be much happier with the results.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

slyatlast

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 05:56:55 AM »
Welcome Sky

I use Paul's method of the HeadBlade/Mach 3 combo.  I also find shaving immediately after a shower which seems to make a big difference-as does the type of creme.  Shave Secret oil followed by HeadSlick shave creme works well for me.

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:42:31 AM »
Welcome to the SBG Family skyman,

My first question is,,,,,, what's a,,, Head,,,Blade??   Just kidding, anyway I to am an avid, die hard, dedicated HeadBlader. I us the Sensor Excell blades with mine (note to Mac, I'd use the HeadBlade Tripple Blades, but they are not sold here in Canada!), and I can get a full 7 days out of mine, and that's shaving everyday, sometimes (rarely) twice in a day.

But no matter what brand of blade you use, I hope that you are not going by the "indacater" strip found on most blades. If I went by them I'd have to use two blades per shave!!!
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

sluggo

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »
I use the Mach3 although the other day I picked up a Fusion to try it out. While the Fusion is nice for large smooth areas and produced no irritiation for me, I prefer the Mach3 for the nooks and crannys of my noggin.

I haven't completely decided if I'll switch permanently to the Fusion, stick with the Mach3, or switch back and forth as the mood grabs me. All in all they are both great razors.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 12:48:02 PM »
Welcome Sky! As for me it's Fusion all the way! I've used the HeadBlade and the Mach III but the Fusion gives me a MUCH closer shave. I also go along with the comments made about a good shave cream. There are too many to list but read up on here and you'll get tons of ideas! The fun has only begun!!
It's all about attitude!

Offline skyman

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 12:12:14 AM »
Thanks for all the welcomes,

My hair was clipped off with the electric clippers as short as they would allow (basically just wiskers) and I used Gillette Foamy for sensitive skin ......the selection in the small town where I live is very limited so most of the stuff you guys mention I have never heard of before , in fact the store owners here never even heard of it

I will have to look for the good stuff on my next trip into the "big city" hopefully it will be on sale.

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090810/sampa18beef3a5030e09.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Stevo

• Agile, Mobile, Audiophile
  • Sly
    • Country Road of Life
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »
I've found that Walgreen's has the best selection of bald guy headcare products.  They carry HeadBlades, HeadSlick, and a lot of other of the major bald brands.

As for the "HB or not" debate, it depends on how good you are at shaving, and what kind of learning curve you're willing to undertake.  If you're a pro at shaving by feel, and don't mind nicking yourself the first few times, then you can skip the HB and use a good quality razor.  I can tell you that I spent a few years trying with a regular razor, then one day I bought an HB and I've never looked back.  Either way, I reccomend using something other than "foamy" creams.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best on this new and exciting adventure.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 02:55:48 PM »
In nearly two years, no slices, no major bleeds, and just good clean baby butt shaves w/ Fusion.  I travel so it's also easier w/ just one tool.  Tried the HB, not close enough, difficult to change all the time--a new skill I didn't care to work w/--and there are more than enough stories where a brother lost his concentration, was rushed, etc. and wound up w/ a cut or slice.  It is a fine looking thing, but for me, it is and will be Fusion until something better comes on the market.  Different strokes for different folks--

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
Sorry for being late to the party Skyman.  Welcome to the best place on the net!

In the past two weeks, I have already tried a variety of products.  My bathroom counter is covered with them.  First thing was a Gilette Fusion razor and Gilette Fusion Gel shave cream.  Did not do a bad job, but I have since moved to the Headslick shave cream.  It is much less friction and allows whatever blade you choose to glide across your head with the greatest of ease.

I have a friend who has shaved his head for years and he recommended the Headblade to me.  It works great and I still use it from time to time.  It is small and easy to travel with.  But when I am being lazy in the shower shaving my face with the Fusion, I just use it to go ahead and take care of the head.  I now use the Headslick for all shaving needs.

At work, I have a Mach3 and Bald Guys Shave Gel in my desk.  Being in IT, I can easily pull an all nighter and it has come in handy on more than one occassion.  And co-workers don't look at you weird when shaving in the bathroom.  In fact, it prompts more curiosity.  We will see how many converts it creates.  :)

Really, there is no one plade that works any better for all people.  Find out what works for you.  Just make sure that you replace the blades when they start to get rough or you might be taking more risks than you need.

Offline skyman

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 02:13:05 PM »
ok, well i shaved twice now with a razor, still cant get it very smooth, need more practice i guess. Its probably the third time I have ever used a razor in my life.(only 1 nick .on my head...knock on wood, face was a whole different story though )
I just got a head blade hopefully that will make things easier.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 02:15:27 PM »
You're just beginning this journey, it does get easier and a lot more interesting.  Patience--a really smooth one, no matter how you get there--will make all the effort worth while. 

Enter your email address: