Author Topic: Im really confused....  (Read 2933 times)

Offline andy.

• Sly Guy in Training
Im really confused....
« on: July 17, 2009, 06:31:45 AM »
I have been trying got get in shape etc for about 6 months and iv been reading about different things and its all just a bit confusing.

I know what my goals are to be fit and health long term, to bulk up and drop my body fat content.

My problem is that I cant seem to gain any bulk. I have been doing weights for 6 months and while i have gotten stronger I am not any bigger even tho I eat all the time.  I have been eating loads of protien and still nothing.  Im also not sure what cardio I should be doing.  I read they if you are trying to bulk up you shouldnt do more than 20mins a day.  How is that going to help me get fit and drop my body fat?

Im just about confused about what to do... :S

Any tips?

Andy,

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Im really confused....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:48:17 AM »
goals are to be fit and health long term, to bulk up and drop my body fat content.

My problem is that I cant seem to gain any bulk. I have been doing weights for 6 months and while i have gotten stronger I am not any bigger even tho I eat all the time.  I have been eating loads of protien and still nothing.  shouldnt do more than 20mins a day.

Any tips?
Andy,

I have been at this for more years than I care to remember.  From what you say I can derive that you are carrying more fat than you want, you want to replace fat w/ muscle and have a long term health approach.
First observation:  You've only been at this 6 months.  In reality it does take time.  You say you are stronger--that means you muscle mass is increasing, but that muscle is hidden under the fat.  You say you "eat a lot of protein", just remember that you're body can't absorb more than a certain amount of protein at a time, and if it's not converted to another form to fuel your body, it will  be stored as fat.  Eat smart, not "lots."  As you increase your strength, the muscles will expand to their genetic limits--not many of us have Arnie's genetic development and if you've seen any pictures of the Austrian Oak lately you iwll note that his intake has remeined high and that pushing the legislative program doesn't take as many calories as pushing iron resulting in a soft, pillowy look now. 
Finally, cardio--believe me there is nothing, absolutely nothing that will take the fat off like cardio--right now that is your immediate goal.  That can mean anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes of intensive cardio 4-6 times a week until its really under control--that is no more Dunlop's disease--your belly shouldn't "done lop" over the belt! 
Once your fat is under control, muscles will show and you can make a determination of which muscle groups to work to achieve the best "beach body" your genes will allow.  But first the fat has to go, and that means cardio, vigorous sweat generating cardio.  Keep well hydrated too.
It will begin to show, but another six months is a realistic target--don't get depressed, get to the gym.  Those that cheat the gym, cheat in life.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
Saintc has given you some excellent advice.  I can only add that if you want to bulk up, you have to keep increasing the amount of weight you're lifting.  Maybe you need to bump the weight up a little bit?   Remember that more weight = more mass, less weight and more reps = more definition.

I just discovered today that one of my favorite Hawaiian shirts is too tight in the chest to wear anymore.     :-\

(|8-)

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 12:49:47 AM »
You are born with a certain percentage of fast-twitch vs. slow-twitch muscle fibers though you can train both.  Fast-twitch gives you explosive power, like a sprinter.  Fast-twitch fibers bulk up when trained (though differently in different people) and make lactic acid when working.  That gives you that burning feeling.  Slow-twitch doesn't bulk up as much, but it also doesn't make so much lactic acid, so you can do endurance sports.  People can have almost any balance, but very few people are an extreme like world-class sprinters or world-class marathon runners. 

Having no fast-twitch myself, I like cycling and swimming.  I did weight training this winter, and not even my cycling friends who notice the slightest changes in my appearance and weight have noticed.  I'm clearly stronger, but not any bigger.  On the other hand, I had a teammate who bulked up his shoulders and chest just from swimming to train for a triathlon (no weights) and he was frustrated he couldn't lose the bulk for hilly bike races.

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 06:09:05 AM »
Curse genetics!
I blame it on the parents.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 08:09:29 AM »
I just discovered today that one of my favorite Hawaiian shirts is too tight in the chest to wear anymore.     :-\

Sounds like you're making some real progress--expensive to rebuy clothes, but progress. O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 09:04:36 AM »

Sounds like you're making some real progress--expensive to rebuy clothes, but progress. O0

Slowly but surely.  Getting the body fat down a bit further is the hardest part.  Making some progress there by increasing the cardio and trying to watch my diet, but it sure isn't easy.  I need to build up my shoulders more.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 09:37:57 AM »
  Getting the body fat down a bit further is the hardest part.  Making some progress there by increasing the cardio and trying to watch my diet, but it sure isn't easy.  I need to build up my shoulders more.

Those last pounds are stubborn b_stards.  >:( Shoulders, IMO, can really do a great deal for the arms as a whole--they finish off the look.  It's worth it to push that bc you get so much for it in terms of overall appearance.

Offline Shikantaza

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 07:52:05 PM »
I agree with saintc and some of the other comments. Now, I don't know how old you are or what kind of body type you have but hitting the cardio is going to increase your overall metabolic rate which will burn fat even when you are not exercising.

You ask which exercises are best? Well, running, biking, hill climbers, rowing machines, stair climbers, aerobics classes, and super setting are all viable workouts that will add to your total fitness. Be aware that if you currently live a sedentary lifestyle, jump starting your cardiovascular fitness gradually will stave off injury. But if you are ready to plunge in start running at a medium pace, something you can sustain for 25-30 minutes. from there increase the time (not necessarily the distance) by about 10-15 % every week or two (depending on what your body is telling you). So 30 minute to 35 minute to 40 minutes. You want to bulk up you say, but consider increasing endurance and lactic threshold.

You can also super set workouts and give yourself an added cardio workout while lifting:

Something like after finishing one set of your preferred chest work you immediately do 25 situps and 10 jumping squats. I warn you this may feel like sh*t at first, don't kill yourself. Just gradually build that endurance. You are just forcing your body to adapt, and it will adapt, to these new stresses.

Lastly, mix it up. Your body will get used to your work out very quickly. It will "know" how to conserve energy and short cut the exertion. Smart organism the body. So one day you do a muscle workout next day join a spinning class followed by treading water for 25 minutes, the following day jump rope followed by curls and shadow boxing. My point is you continually surprise your body into greater adaptation- keeping it al natural. You will get fit quicker this way my friend.

Don't forget to rest and drink water.