Author Topic: Hard hat woes...  (Read 20492 times)

Offline jimtriz

• Sly Guy in Training
Hard hat woes...
« on: July 06, 2009, 07:49:09 PM »
I have to wear a hard hat at work.  I work at a paper mill with large overhead cranes so the helmets are mandatory.  I work a 12 hour shift and here in New England the summers can be very humid.  I am having a problem with acne break outs on the top of my scalp from sweating all day.  The helmet traps in heat which causes the acne, then the acne makes it very uncomfortable to wear the helmet for 12 hours.  The next time I shave, ouch, there go the zits!!  it sets up a kinda vicious cycle.  I am trying to wash my face and scalp a few times during my shift, but I seem to be losing the battle.  Are there any other sly brothers out there who have to deal with such things?  Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.  BTW, I have been sly for over a month now and am loving it!!!  I know, I need to post some pics...they will be coming soon...  Thanks for the help guys.  Jim.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Hard hat woes...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 08:04:47 PM »
Have you tried any headwipes?  I personally prefer the wipes made by HeadBlade. They will do much more to clean up your head, sweat, oils etc. I'd say it's worth giving them a try.
It's all about attitude!

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:30:42 PM »
I work in construction and wear a hat also >>cause i bump my head alot crawling through attics everyday<<   and im usually hot and sweaty too.......I dont have time for creams and lotions and they probably wouldnt last long doing what i do.........So i just soak a do-rag or any small towel in cold water a few times a day--put it between head and hat--and i have a nice cool feeling on my head all day........i know it sounds stupid but it gets me through the day........ b@b~

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 06:12:01 AM »
The straps are great, great for holding on to bacteria and other crud that cause the skin to break out.  It's even worse if you have to use "generic" hats at a site, like I do for site visits.  Solution, get a scull cap, I think the brand is Body Armor at a sporting goods store, you can wash it every night so the dirt and grime that build up on the support strap or bands inside the hard hat never are in direct contact with your skin. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 12:37:43 PM »
Have you ever tried wearing a skull cap under your helmet?

Here's an example of one you can get at Amazon.com

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
Have you ever tried wearing a skull cap under your helmet?

Here's an example of one you can get at Amazon.com

That's what I got O0, and it works wonders--they come in several colors--I got white and it provides some protection from the sun in and of itself. 

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:02:57 PM »
You could also try 'Headsweats' -- www.headsweats.com
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline jimtriz

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »
thanks for all the great ideas guys.  I will have to pick up some of the wipes, and I think I will try the skull cap also.  I like the idea from Aarrggh too, the cold towel under the helmet.  Good ideas all...thanks again.  Jim.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 07:10:24 PM »
I've seen hard hats specifically designed to provide some airflow in and under your helmet. For the love of me I can't remember where.

Offline BuzzKC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 07:52:39 AM »
I'll bet the skull cap would probably help.  I do that under my motorcycle helmet for the same reason.

Enter your email address: