Author Topic: Should there be a politics forum?  (Read 16437 times)

Offline ShavedForNow

• Incomparable Sly Guy
  • Sly Jr.
  • Testing out the sly side of life
Should there be a politics forum?
« on: July 06, 2009, 11:11:10 AM »
I understand why the rules are currently set up the way they are, but there seem to be a lot of members here who are interested in these kinds of issues.

If there were to be such a forum, I think there should be an understanding that the participants are allowed to get a little mud on one another - without getting TOO extreme - and then go back and play nice on the rest of the site. Most of the guys around here seem to be mature enough to handle that.

There would also have to be a rule against insulting any group of people or any individual other than a public figure.
Just my $0.02.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Should there be a politics forum?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:43:48 AM »
It has been tried before and we've found that it drives wedges in the brotherhood and takes away from the real purpose of this site.  If you're looking or a good political discussion, try out the forum at http://www.treesandthings.com.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ShavedForNow

• Incomparable Sly Guy
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 03:19:32 PM »
It has been tried before and we've found that it drives wedges in the brotherhood and takes away from the real purpose of this site.
That's a shame. I would have thought the bro's knew how to respect different opinions.

On another note, thanks for recommending Trees & Things. I like their member-moderation approach: it's rare (if not unique) among political forums.

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:42:31 PM »
I agree with Tyler. While I do respect the feelings and opinions of my liberal SBG brothers ( I am for the most part conservative) it seems that anytime the a political discussion comes up things get nasty. So there are definantely other websites more well suited for discussions like that.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline stoic1975

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »
thank goodness!  The LAST thing this great board needs is politics.  So few boards transcend our political opinions.  Let's leave this one as it is...:)

Thanks,
Brett

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 04:36:01 PM »
I agree !  THANK GOODNESS--- you don`t want me too get started on my new clown senator out here in minnesota--------OH MY       :x!   Im outta here   #**p

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 05:15:57 PM »
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ShavedForNow

• Incomparable Sly Guy
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »
I agree !  THANK GOODNESS--- you don`t want me too get started on my new clown senator out here in minnesota--------
I sympathize: here in California in the 60s and 70s we had to put up with a clown governor who made his money playing poombah to Bonzo the chimpanzee in Hollywood.  ;D

I see the tribe has spoken, so I'll shut up about the idea now.  B3M3

slyatlast

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
I deal with enough politics at work, so no...also no religion forums.   There have been threads started about religion and it only leads to problems.  Everything has its place and time.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:22:00 PM by slyatlast »

benmcd

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 06:23:46 PM »
Aaaahhhh . . . the shining domes of wisdom.  ;) 

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 06:31:17 PM »
Politics and religon are two of the most dangerous topics to have on a forum.  Tyler knew, in his youthful but infinite wisdom, what he was doing when he established guidelines regarding those issues. 

I deal with enough politics at work, so no...also no religion forums.   There have been threads started about religion and it only leads to problems.  Everything has its place and time.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 07:07:11 PM »
I sympathize: here in California in the 60s and 70s we had to put up with a clown governor who made his money playing poombah to Bonzo the chimpanzee in Hollywood.  ;D

I see the tribe has spoken, so I'll shut up about the idea now.  B3M3

Too bad you had to insert your parting shot at Reagan... I thought you understood that politics was off limits, but obviously you couldn't resist.  This is exactly why politics are banned.  And yes, I have had things removed too, but from the opposite end of your political spectrum.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline ShavedForNow

• Incomparable Sly Guy
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »
Too bad you had to insert your parting shot at Reagan... I thought you understood that politics was off limits, but obviously you couldn't resist.  This is exactly why politics are banned.  And yes, I have had things removed too, but from the opposite end of your political spectrum.
No, Stu, the point of my last remark was not to take a parting shot at Reagan, but to mimic aarrggh's parting shot at Franken. (Gee, I wonder why you didn't chastise him?)

It should be obvious from this thread that I'm not interested in unilaterally violating the rule against political discussion. I simply made an honest, straightforward, lobbying effort for a part of the forum where that rule wouldn't apply. Apparently several other members don't want such an area, so I backed off.

Personally, I can throw wicked punches in the boxing ring and later behave like a perfect gentleman at the dinner table with all my sparring partners. Unfortunately, not everyone can make that clean separation. If they could, arguments on political or religious forums wouldn't spill over into the rest of a site.

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 07:49:25 AM »
As a politically active person on the web and beyond I have more than enough places to post and to vent .

Nobody changes the mindset of others who feel differently and trying to usually creates problems.

It's good politics is left to a minimum here. Everyone here gets along that way. I say hail to the Mods! They are Sly & Smart.

^^*d
"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 09:29:27 AM »
I think even this short forum makes it CRYSTAL clear that Tyler's rule need not be changed. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]