Author Topic: Kinexium Shaving Oil with Silicon Technology (A King of Shaves Product)  (Read 9830 times)

BaldRob

I received some samples the other day from KoS.  Of the four that I received, this is the only one that I haven't used before.

Here's the review:

I shave in the shower, so sink results may be different.  I also started with a new blade on the HeadBlade and Fusion.  I also used HeadShed before applying the oil.  The shave occured at approximately 7:30 pm while getting ready to head out for the evening.

Appearance:
(sorry for the bad pic... camera phone sucks!)

Cool little bottle with a pump on top.  It also has a snap closeable lid which makes it great for traveling.

First Impression:

Following the directions, I doubled the amount of pumps to six since it was for a full head and face shave.  The first thing I noticed was the smell... it's a nice light fragrance, but I can't quite place it.  The oil is clear.

Six drops was just the right amount for my head and face.  As with any shaving oil, a little goes a long way.  I let it sit on my head and face for about 45 seconds before starting to shave.

The Shave:

With oil, one key is to keep your skin wet.  Shaving in the shower helps immensely with this.  After slapping some water on the side of my head, I took my first pass with the headblade.  VERY smooth and slick.  After rinsing the blade, I continued with the rest of my head, making sure to keep the skin wet.  Each pass was as smooth as the first... I always shave against the grain and with this product, I had no irritation at all.

Switching to the Fusion for the face, the shave was one of the most comfortable and close shaves that I have had.

The Aftermath:

Some oils will dry my skin out, but I did not experience any dryness at all with Kinexium Shaving Oil.  When I woke up the next morning, my scalp and face were still very smooth with a minimum of stubble.

I shaved the next evening also (approximately 24 hours later) and the results were the same... another great shave with no irritation or razor burn.

The Pros:

Small bottle (ease of traveling)  O0
Nice light fragrance  O0
A little goes a long way  O0
Can feel after each pass without wiping the oil off  O0
Ability to shave every day with no irritation (for me)  O0
Seems like a longer "smooth" time  O0
The head feels very nice after shaving (had three head rubs that first evening with lots of ooooo's and wow's)  O0

The Cons:

Very hard to rinse the blade clean :(
Availability (not sure where to buy in the states or if it can only be ordered online)  :(
Not really a con, but the shave experience was enjoyable, it took a few extra minutes

As with any product, each person will have different opinions.  Kinexium Shaving Oil in my eyes is a top notch product that will become part of my normal shave gear.

A big  O0

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:05:09 PM by BaldRob »

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
Re: Kinexium Shaving Oil with Silicon Technology (A King of Shaves Product)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 08:56:03 AM »
I use the KOS shaving oil for my electric razor on my face. It works really well, but have not tried it yet on the noggin. I'll have to give it a whirl.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 11:01:51 AM »
Thanks for the review Rob!  I'll have to try some of that out.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tgparker

• Sly Guy in Training
Good review. I'd like to try some.

Yesterday, I started using the KOS Alpha Shaving Oil in combination with HB HeadSlick Shaving Cream and it works great! I can get KOS Alpha at local stores (Rite-Aid).

I would like to try to get a sample or buy some Kinexium ST but haven't been able to locate any KOS Kinexium ST at any of my local stores.

Any suggestions which US retail drug (CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc.) chains carry it?

Can you suggest any on-line sources?

Also, KOS Kinexium ST is twice the price of KOS Alpha. $11.00-$12.00. I can live with that...if it means a superior shave!

I'm contemplating turning in my Mach 3 for a Str8 Edge Razor for the face...so I know the the KOS Kinexium ST will be a must have then...

Funny a I've noticed that lot of the Str8 Edge Razor crowd say that HB HeadSlick Shaving Cream give an AWESOME Str8 Egde Shave....

I betcha a combo of Kinexium ST & HB HeadSlick would make for an AWSOME Str8 Edge Shave....

All the best,

Tony
Gotta HB S4 for sale?  I'm looking to buy one.  If you got a nice one 4-Sale, please PM me. TIA.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 10:48:40 PM »
Ok people, I know that BaldRob already did a review on this, but I felt I should get my own word in also. Unlike BaldRob, I'm a shower shaver. So, I'll give you my perspective as it relates to shower shaving.

I was a little nervous as I squirted the 3 drops of oil into my head; I mean, this little amount is supposed to protect my precious dome from the razor blade? So, I added a 4th drop for good luck. I then rubbed the oil all over my head and grabbed my blade. In the first couple of strokes I was very impressed with how slick the shave was. I kept Rob's tip in mind of keeping the skin and blade very wet while shaving - this really helped. As I got done with my first pass from front to back, I noticed that my head was still very lubricated and went for the back to front pass without adding any extra oil. My head was still as slick in that pass as well. After shaving my head, I moved onto my face. I have to say, that I enjoyed the experience with my face even more.

So, what are the pros?

- Very small container (.68 oz) which makes it great if you are a traveler as myself.
- You get up to 100 shaves per bottle!!!
- The oil provides a great coat to protect your head - which seemed to cause less irritation to my dome.
- The price - at only $6.99 at Drugstore.com, you can't beat that for 100 shaves!
- Great face shave!

Any cons? Yep...

- Unlike BaldRob, I wasn't a big fan of the smell. I found it to be a strong menthol smell.
- Though the oil was slick and provided a great coat, I didn't get as close of a shave as I do with other gels and creams. This may have to do with the fact that it clogs up the blades pretty good. The oil is deceiving though. Right after your shave your head feels very smooth, but once you wash most of the oil off, you can feel the stubble.

Overall, this is a great value for the shave as it relates to price per cost.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 10:26:55 AM »
Thanks a lot for the review of this KOS product my sly bros. I have only ever used Somersets shaving oil,will give this product a whirl.

I have been using the KOS alpha gel for about 1 month now and get a great smooth shave with  it. I usually shave in the shower with a HB classic and do touch ups with the Fusion.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 02:54:32 PM »
Thanks a lot for the review of this KOS product my sly bros. I have only ever used Somersets shaving oil,will give this product a whirl.

I have been using the KOS alpha gel for about 1 month now and get a great smooth shave with  it. I usually shave in the shower with a HB classic and do touch ups with the Fusion.

You're welcome bro.  I'm going to try to get a couple more KOS reviews out in the next couple of days.  Stay tuned...

Offline gardner179

• Sly
  • uk sly
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 05:53:43 PM »
this is the best oil on the market. been using it since it was released

Offline rward086

• Sly
    • Myspace

You're welcome bro.  I'm going to try to get a couple more KOS reviews out in the next couple of days.  Stay tuned...

I've been thinking of picking up some KOS, so I'm looking forward to it!  O0
"God only blessed a handful of people with perfect heads - The rest he covered with hair."

W3!ght

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
Ward, I highly recommend the KOS shaving oil. Works great under HeadSlick, or any other cream or gel for that matter. 

Enter your email address: