Author Topic: Barber Shop Shave  (Read 7442 times)

benmcd

Barber Shop Shave
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:49:05 AM »
A few years ago I was in Perth, Western Australia and had a particularly rough Velcro going on. I walked past a barber shop and noticed that they did head shaves. I went in and waited for a while. The barber knew exactly what I was in for, as there was not enough Velcro "to style" on my noggin.
It was a very enjoyable experience to have your head shaved and get the whole hot towel, shaving cream brush and straight razor shave, but I have to say the end result was not as good as I had expected, or get at home with a Gillette Mach III or a comparable razor. There were the kinda rough patches that you can only deal with yourself, you know the ones that you go over a few more times after you have finished shaving. All in all it was a good experience, but I am not sure that I would pay another $25 for.  :-\

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Barber Shop Shave
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:23:43 AM »
I would do it once for the experience. I don't think there is anywhere local to me where they do that.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »
Your right!  The barber shop shave is never as close as you can do yourself.  The pampering is worth the money though.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 05:32:32 PM »
Hopefully they used a disposable straight razor, the old fashioned types can carry across blood borne pathogens.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 08:32:16 AM »
Geez....There is a place locally that does it and I've been thinking about it for quite a while, just for the experience but now I'm thinking not after some of these comments. Trouble is I know they do not use any disposible blades. I've had a face shave done with a straight blade just like they use, but never considered the point that shdwlk mentioned!!
It's all about attitude!

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 09:06:37 AM »
As a kid, I always thought it was cool in the western movies how the grizzled cowboy went into the barber shop and got a shave with a straight. Always thought you would have to totally trust your barber with that thing at your throat.   O0
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »
You said it Steve!! It's pretty scary when they start rubbing that thing off with a strap, or what ever it's called!
It's all about attitude!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 12:12:21 PM »
Many years ago after graduating from school, my Father gave me an extended tour of Europe.  By some twist of fate, I lost my razor before I went to Barcelona the first time.  Franco was in his last days, and his government had really high tariffs on "foreign" goods, so I decided to wait until I was back in France or Germany to buy a replacement.  I decided to go down the street from my hotel to a barber shop for a shave--what a pleasant experience.  Although not bald at the time--just the hole in the back of the head, I had a straight razor shave from heaven.  Literally, I didn't have to shave for 3 days!  So, I got another before heading back to France.  I went to Barcelona at least five times during my stay--it was in the old Eurorail pass days--and every time I went, I went to MY BARBER for a shave.  Never since have I ever had such a shave.  If, no I have to say when I get back I'm going to look up the barbershop and have another, but this time the full monty.

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 02:28:36 PM »
Sounds like fun, SaintC.   O0
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Sounds like fun, SaintC.   O0

It really was, a major event in my life.  I recently finished a book set in Barcelona, and boy does that get the juices running to go back--fantastic place.  I'm playing w/ some dates if we don't go over budget on a little work at the house.  To be on the Ramblas, eating tapas, life! O0

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 09:00:16 PM »
You said it Steve!! It's pretty scary when they start rubbing that thing off with a strap, or what ever it's called!
Down here, it's called a "strop"
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »
i love barbershop shaves.

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 07:34:49 PM »
Always thought you would have to totally trust your barber with that thing at your throat.   O0

And, Ya don't want to go to the barber for a shave right after seeing Sweeny Todd...

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 07:40:09 PM »
Ech!  Don't know what is worse - The idea of a mass murdering barber, Helena Bonham Carter singing, or Johnny Depp doing anything.  You're right.  I would be too busy hurling for the barber to get anywhere near my throat.   :*))