Author Topic: Mountain biking  (Read 1679 times)

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
Mountain biking
« on: June 08, 2009, 06:51:57 AM »
As part of my fitness plan I cycle around 14 miles every Sunday morning.  We don't have too many mountain in Lincolnshire so it isn't a really hard cross country circuit, but it gets my heart pumping and I get out into the countryside with my thoughts for a while.

Yesterday morning it rained.  Lots.
Really, really lots.

I still went out.
One stretch is a narrow, downhill path alongside a field.  I really got up some speed on that, even though the ground was very slippery and I was a bit of a passenger a couple of times.  At the end of this stretch is a very narrow bridge (~ 1m) onto a dirt track.  I attacked this with my usual level of enthusiasm and then thought about how I was going to manage the hard left turn onto the track.

After that things went a little bit fuzzy for a while, and then I remember getting up and thinking "I hope nobody saw that".  Closely followed by "Ouch". 
I remounted and felt more that a little wobbly so decided to cut my ride short and headed the shortest way home.  It rained a bit more while I was cruising home just to brighten my mood.

I've got a good graze on my arm and a big hole in my knee.  I also discovered a scrape on the side of my helmet which explains the wobbly feeling.  By the time I got home my left leg and shoe were distincly red in colour.  Doesn't a little bit of blood go a long way?

Anyway, the long short of this:
1   If you go out cycling, wear a suitable helmet that fits properly
2   At my age I really should know better
3   Don't expect any sympathy from your wife when you drip blood on the kitchen floor

SlyHigh

Re: Mountain biking
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:14:24 AM »
Ouch.  How it all heals quickly!

I never had any nasty mountain biking injuries.  The worst was when I tried to bike a very steep rocky incline.  I shouldn't have even tried.  The ground was loose and I tumbled.  My knee hit a rock right on that spot that makes it hurt really bad.  I laid on the ground and dragged my bike out of the trail.  I layed there for a good ten minutes.  Luckily I was only a few hundred yards from the end of the trail.  It never really bruised, but it hurt for at least a week.

When I bike I'm overly cautious until I know the trail really well.

I haven't mountain biked in years.  There aren't any trails around here.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »
Brutal!  I had a few of those crashes in my mountain biking days.  The best one was on my dad's brand new bike. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline basikbiker

• Sly Jr.
  • put your man boots on
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:53:57 PM »
if your mountain biking chances are you will fall sometime. i race downhill mountain bikes regularlly, ranked 7th nationally last year for my class/age group. worst injury broke my jaw completely in half and in both joints, chipped four teeth(caps) and had 4 root canals, 28 stitches in my chin and a broken pinkie all at once. so take it easy man wear a helmet and gloves at least.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:26:06 AM »
My only biking days -------    when I was in Bermuda  - - -one of those moped bikes