Author Topic: 17 and losing my hair. Should I shave?  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Kyle

• Learning the way of Sly
  • All the world will bury you.
17 and losing my hair. Should I shave?
« on: June 07, 2009, 02:31:50 PM »
Hi, I recently found this community in a search for answers to my questions about going bald. I didn't want to have to shave my head at first but with every strand of hair that I lose when i take a shower it becomes more of a reality. If I am going to lose all of my hair... I am going to do it on MY terms.

The only real problem I have with it at this time is that I have a high forehead and I am worried that it make me look bad.

I cannot shave my head for 6 months because I'm still 17 and my parents have control of my life at this time. But when I turn 18 that decision is mine.

The links below are to what my hair looks like now where it has already receded. As a whole, all my hair is thinning, even the sides.

Thanks for your opinions in advance, I hope to hang around here for a while... and maybe in 6 months become sly like all you guys :)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/painsofme/0607091449a.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/painsofme/0607091449b.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/painsofme/0607091449.jpg

This is usually how I wear my hair:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/painsofme/0504090725.jpg

Looking forward to hearing back from some of you guys =) and remember to be honest =)

I called you up, to meet at the bluff. Did you hear what you wanted to hear?

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: 17 and losing my hair. Should I shave?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 02:52:27 PM »
Well, really the choice is entirely up to you and no one here will discourage you from doing it.  Pretty much anyone here will tell you to do the 30 day trial because after all, if you don't like it, you can grow back what you had.

High forehead?  Don't worry about it...  My forehead foes all the way to the back of my neck!!!

Offline Kyle

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:03:27 PM »
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when it comes time that I can actually do it. :)

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »
Welcome Kyle! I know the Mom and Dad thing can seem pretty frustrating but you'll  be 18 soon. There is no doubt that you are growing more forehead, my problem also. So don't do anything that's going to make trouble for you at home or school. You'll be there soon enough!

As for honesty, I don't think you look bad the way you are. If nothing else could you talk your parents into getting a buzz cut. That's assuming that YOU would want one. From there you'll get a better idea of what you'll really look like.

So, it's up to you dude. Hang out and get all the infomation you can glean from this place so  you'll be already to go on your next birthday.

Best of luck to ya and keep us posted on how things are going.
It's all about attitude!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 07:03:59 PM »
A high forehead is much less noticeable on a completely shaved head.  Give it a try when you can.  In the meantime, try a buzzcut if your parents will allow it.

Offline MadMatty

• Sly Guy in Training
  • against the grain, thats insane!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 07:26:55 PM »
Mate the choice is up to you, i have just started doing it & im 19, you'll just have to remember it takes some getting used to & prepare for all sorts of reactions form your old folks, friends & work mates, some will like it others won't. Just giving them a few weeks to get used to it. good luck

Offline Kyle

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 09:18:26 PM »
Thanks guys. Come December I might try it out even if my hair starts to grow back =)

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:45:01 AM »
Razor is right.  People who have high foreheads usually see an improvement because suddenly it just becomes 'head' vs. high forehead and receding hairline.  While you are waiting to 'do the deed,' concentrate on other ways to improve yourself, like hitting the gym, etc.  Feel free to stay in touch and ask plenty of questions.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 02:29:57 PM »
Kyle, welcome to Sly Bald Guys.  These guys have given you some great advice.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Kyle

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »
Funny you should mention the gym. Been going quiet often lately and have lost 30 pounds  :)

I'm fitting in cloths I couldn't when I was in 6th grade and I just graduated back in May  :)

Thanks for the welcome Mr.Tyler O0

marty22

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 06:11:58 PM »
Let your hair stay for the time being. Give it another year and then decide.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 08:09:14 PM »
Stick with what your parents say until you are on your own.  They provide with you a number of things ... and parents are more often right than wrong.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Kyle

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 09:12:19 AM »
Stick with what your parents say until you are on your own.  They provide with you a number of things ... and parents are more often right than wrong.

I am. Thats the reason my hair is just a soft red (originaly blonde) and not purple.

Offline Big Boss

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 12:42:41 PM »
I started losing my hair when I was about 15-16 (yes really) I'm nineteen now, and I started shaving my head about a year ago, best thing I did, believe me it'll make you feel much better about yourself.

Just do what all bald guys do, shave it off and grow a beard.  ;)

flatdave

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 02:22:39 PM »
I think that I have a high forehead as well but every time I look in the mirror, I think to myself that it looks a little bit better than the time before.  I'm at day 24 and don't have any plans to let it grow back when day 30 approaches.  Give it the 30 day trial, you'll be so glad you did!

Dave