Author Topic: A really cool ball player!!  (Read 2298 times)

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
A really cool ball player!!
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:18:32 AM »
Just wanted to share this with you guys. I was at a t-ball game last night for my girlfriend's daughter. the other team has a little guy that made me smile like i haven't smiled in a very long time. this little guy is mentally handiccaped. but he is part of the team. right at the end of the game, this little fellow got his chance to bat. the coach helped a little, but he got a hit. then the fun started. as he was running the bases, the smile on his face was priceless. this little guy stopped at every base and bent down to put his hands on it. all the while smiling ear to ear. everyone in the stands was cheering for this baserunner. funny thing was, when he decided to take a break, he just stopped. then he would take off again. it was the funniest thing i have seen in awhile. it was very touching to see all these kids and parents from both teams cheering this little guy on. too many times people just don't want to deal with making these kids feel special. these coaches were awesome. i left the park with a warm feeling in my heart. i know this may seem cheesy to some of you guys but i just had to share this. thanks for reading.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: A really cool ball player!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:21:22 AM »
Thats Awesome Paulie.  Glad you got the chance to witness something like that.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:28:28 AM »
Makes me smile just thinking about it -- we need more of that in this world.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 07:40:30 AM »
As a Special Ed teacher, you know these types of stories are close to my hear Paulie.  Thanks bro for sharing that great experience with us.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 07:54:14 AM »
Great story Paulie! I had a similar thing happen in agame I was coaching a few years back. Still one of the greatest moments in six years of coaching Little League.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 08:03:11 AM »
Experienced something similar out here. My daughter just got her black belt in tae kwon do last month (son was last year). A boy with autism went through tae kwon do with Nicole. His determination and perseverence through all the training was something that the Lovely Mrs. Schro and I really enjoyed watching. When he got his black belt, my wife teared up (I choked up a bit when I saw Jake's mom's eyes watering).

Cool stuff.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:33:32 AM »
no matter what ails this world, there are still glimmers of hope. awesome stories guys.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
About a week ago I was umpiring my daughter's softball game. The opposing team had a precious little girl who was mentally handicapped just a bit. In rookie softball, they use a pitching machine. Every time this little girl came up to bat, the fans in their stands cheered her on enthusiastically and it put a huge smile on her face. Finally in her third at bat, she got a hit. This put a much bigger grin on her face and everyone in both stands cheered heartily for her. The coach from the other team who was feeding the balls into the machine got very excited and later apologized because he thought he had gone overboard. Told him not to worry about it because I knew it was pretty special for her to get that hit. That brightened everyone's day and the game was a very pleasant experience for us all.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 11:25:30 AM »
That's a great story, really touches me because I have a little cousin who is handicapped. Thank you for sharing PBurke.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »
cheesy NO awesome story YES. there are never enough stories of this nature in the world today.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 01:40:56 PM »
That's a great story, really touches me because I have a little cousin who is handicapped. Thank you for sharing PBurke.

me too bro. my cousin is older than me but is awesome. just a joy to be around.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 02:06:12 PM »
i absolutely love hearing those type of stories & 2 experience it is even priceless.  thanks 4 sharing. O0 O0 O0 O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 12:17:34 AM »

me too bro. my cousin is older than me but is awesome. just a joy to be around.

Oh yea, definitely man, I know the feeling. It's always great to be around him.