Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Car Insurance
« on: March 28, 2009, 10:47:06 PM »
We recently decided to switch our car insurance from AIG to Farmers because we could save money.  Since we have Farmer's for our house, we were able to get it cheaper.

Who does everyone use for car insurance?  Do you like them?  Hate them?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:06:51 PM »
We recently decided to switch our car insurance from AIG to Farmers because we could save money.  Since we have Farmer's for our house, we were able to get it cheaper.

Who does everyone use for car insurance?  Do you like them?  Hate them?

I was with Allstate from 1994 until 2008.  They paid fairly (but poorly IMHO) on the Jeep - of course it was a 1995.  I will still recommend them.  My only gripe was they paid a claim for a lady to have her car painted because flying debris from the Jeep scratched her car. They painted a ding she claimed a piece of debris flying from the wreck caused, then she claimed the paint did not match.  She got a free paint job out of the deal.  My opinion - based on the distance of the tree the Jeep hit from the highway, she was just looking for a freebie. My agent said it was to avoid a lawsuit (and protect them and me - cheaper than fighting it).

My family currently has a great deal going with Cincinnati on the farm.  They handle 4 cars (the parents two, the truck, grandmother's) along with both houses and the liability for injury on the property.  We've never had trouble with them - and they were much cheaper than the Hartford, who we used previously. 
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 11:24:21 PM »
I have GEICO and I'll let you know next week. My car got nailed, badly, by a hail-storm on Wednesday. My appointment with the adjuster is Tuesday.

(|8-)

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 11:57:07 PM »
I've had State Farm since my second year of driving (first year I had to go with my parents' company).  In those 22 years, my car has been stolen, rear-ended, and totaled (which by then was so old it only took $2600 of damage).  They were reasonably efficient and always very professional.  They've been really easy to work with--I've moved out of the country a couple times which gave me a couple of year-long periods without insurance, but when I bought a car after not having one it was insured the next day and they even restored my good driver status.  I think a lot of that depends on the agent (they knew I was a long-time customer returning to the US), and State Farm has a good agent network.  Whenever I have to call them, it's my agent's office or cell phone, not someone in a faraway call center.

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 03:28:06 AM »
Funny you should start this thread!  I've been having a hell of a time with insurance lately.

A month and a half ago I sold my '98 Ranger that had 282,000km on it and picked up a '96 F-150.  I couldn't beat the deal as it's the 4.9L straight 6 with the 300 engine.  Those are bulletproof engines and it only has 130,000km.  So like it's an older truck, there is some very minor rust over the rear wheel wells (from the winter salt they use on the roads here in Canada).

My insurance transferred everything over fine then a week later I got an e-mail saying I had to go for a visual inspection.  I figured it was no big deal cause it's in great shape.  The guy at the garage where I was sent looked it over, took some pics and said the same thing, that I got a hell of a deal cause there's nothing wrong with it.  So I let  the insurance agency know the inspection was done and they thank me and say it's all good now.

Yet another week passes and I get an e-mail saying that  my insurance is "suspended until the severe rust damage has been repaired at a certified body shop."  I call up the company as ask what that's about and they tell me that I have to get the body repaired so they can insure me.  I start questioning them and get passed to a senior agent there who explains to me that the visual inspection is a requirement for young males who drive certain types of vehicles that are easily modified for street racing.  He goes on to tell me they had to ensure it wasn't modified as I "will be street racing" with the truck.  I asked if they still had on file what I do for a living, and that if I get charged with anything that I'd loose my job and he tells me that it doesn't matter and that I'm higher risk because of that.

So then started shopping around and all companies I called said they couldn't beat the rates I'd be getting with who I was with.  I explained the whole situation to the 3 places I went to and at each place the reaction was the same, shock.  I'm now getting the same rates as before and everywhere I went also said that under the circumstances the suspension of my insurance would have no ill effects on my premiums.

I'm now with a small company that pretty much everyone where I'm living is with and has a good reputation.  Small, locally owned and managed and they've been around serving the community for some 30 odd years or so.  It's a very close tight knit farm community so it's great.

I was with Bel Air Direct, but now I am a strong supporter of the small home grown businesses and I'll be staying away from the big corporations for good!

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 06:10:22 AM »
I have been with Safeco for about 5 -6 years for both my auto and homeowners.  I have received good service and I have looked around several times and can't match there rates anywhere else.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 06:41:57 AM »
I've got American Family.  Like you I get a cheaper rate since they have both the house and the car, not to mention the motorcycle.  I have no problems with them at all. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 06:47:48 AM »
I have USAA for home, car, and our cabin. Been with them since I married the Lovely Mrs. Schro. No complaints (other than the fact my rates went up $198 because I caused an accident late last year...first one in 27 years.....$3k in combined damage to both cars....thought I'd get a "freebie").
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:00:27 AM by schro »

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 07:05:14 AM »
Been with State Farm as far back as I can recall on our autos and on our home but we are going to shop our homeowners policy with other companies due to the cost.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 07:19:04 AM »
I have USAA for home, car, and our cabin. Been with them since I married the Lovely Mrs. Schro. No complaints (other than the fact my rates went up $198 because I caused an accident late last year...first one in 27 years.....$3k in combined damage to both cars....thought I'd get a "freebie").
I shudder to think what my rates will do when I replace the Jeep
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 07:58:38 AM »
State Farm for 32 years. I've never had a problem with them. They've actually paid for two totalled vehicles (one in a snowstorm and the other when my Aztek flipped over a couple years ago).

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 10:30:51 AM »
State Farm for home, cars, rental property.  They've been pretty good, and although they have a high named storm deductible, that's part of living in Hurricane Alley.  They also picked up my daughter when she bought a house after Katrina when finding insurance was as hard or harder than a dead man getting a loan. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
I had Kemper for a long time and really liked them.  But once I got married, it was cheaper to go with other providers.  They did settle a claim for me when my car got broken into. 

It's funny how you don't know how good your insurance company is until you have to file a claim.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 10:39:49 AM »
Have State Farm for the cars and the house. Got a Multi Car Discount and a discount for the house too. My mom has used them for years, and we've been with them for about 5 or 6 years
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

BaldRob

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 11:09:56 AM »

I've been with USAA for over 20 years... Love them!  They are always very easy to deal with for all services.  My rates did go up after an accident, but then went back down within the next year.

Enter your email address: