Author Topic: touchy subject?  (Read 10710 times)

BALDANDRE

Re: touchy subject?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 11:26:54 PM »
its odd, everyone here says that going sly was a non issue for their family, friends, and co workers. but i've gotten NOTHING but flack from everyone i know. i've only met one person that said they liked the look on me. everyone else has been very negative, even more so than when i was just balding. but i like not having to deal with my MPB hair, so now this is me! whether they like it or not.

Sorry bro...I think that is sad...the peeps around you should be supportive and know that you feel better having the buzzed sly head...and you look GREAT bro...you REALLY do...

don't they see any other buzzed cut or buzzed bald dudes...anywhere on TV on the internet or anywhere in ads?

I just find it weird when there are so many sly and buzzed guys runnin' round (and lots of ages) that you and Ghost should have it so hard with the people around you...

it's just weird? :/O

and sorry you have to deal with it...life's too short not to do what makes YOU happy!

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 07:12:04 AM »
Andre, funny you should say that.  I've been dealing with the same issue; what makes me happy.  My wife even sent me to a blogsite about it, find my happiness, which is sly, and she absolutely hates me being sly.  But, you're absolutely right, a person has to figure out what makes them happy, and go for it! Life is too short.  Carpe' Diem, seize the day!  Enjoy the moment!  It's my life baby; not yours! :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:52:24 PM by Nonick »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 07:39:40 AM »
Since I was always into outdoor sports, I always wore a baseball style hat. That was mainly for sun protection but, now that I'm sly, it apparently was for being a bit self-conscious about my MPB. I draw that conclusion because now that I am sly, I love being outdoors without a hat (but definitely use sunscreen).

The most grief I got about my MPB was in college. There were a couple of guys that gave me s**t about it. But the funny thing was, I dated some pretty hot gals in college and they were struggling on Friday nights! 

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »
Hoodoo, just wait, some of your friends will be in the same boat some day as MPB hits a lot of men.  You're ahead of the curve on the best way to deal with it, and your friends/family will just have to get used to it.  Just keep strong with that attitude that this is the new you!
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 09:01:01 AM »
when i said it was a non-event, I meant for me rather than those around me.  Even so, very few people made major comments: most just accepted it.  My mom wasnt that keen, but after three years she has just accepted it.  My dad said nothing, my sister said it suited me and that now she can't imagine me with hair.  I'm in an amateur musical society, and most people there said nothing, though a few producers have asked that i grow my hair or wear a wig for certain shows, which I found annoying but understandable.

Apart from that, and the odd comment like 'when you gonna get your hair cut?! :D'
It really was a non-event. 8)

Offline kenrh

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 07:01:18 PM »
There are some good points here.  My hair had been receeding slowly over the years (I'm 67 now) and starting abou 10 years ago I started having it cut shorter and shorter, not so much because of the redeeding but I simply liked it that way and my dear wife seemed to also like it.  As it became shorter and shorter I decided it was time for a buzz and the reaction of the hairdresser was really strange.  I remember asking for a #2 all over and she replied that that was too short she would make it #3 on top and #2 at sides.  It was only when I went to a new hairdresser and the young stylise simply sais I think it should be #1 -and I said go for it.  I gues my point is that apart from that last example I never had a hair dresser say "say, you're getting a bit thin on top let's buzz it right down".  Anyway, now my Fusion gets the noggin nice and smooth, and it has never felt better, and it costs me a lot less than going to the hairdresser.

WAY TO GO!!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 08:09:41 PM »
Huh, what is it about hairdressers?

Way back in the ice ages when I had enough hair to cut, I'd always get the "I don't like to cut it too short" crap. I finally found a barber who gave a mean flat-top (at about 1/4 the price of the hairdresser).

That only lasted a few years before I started thinning out and just started buzzing it with no guard in the bath tub.

HoodooMan

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 12:51:27 AM »
i appreciate all the good comments, baldandre, stu, as well as the rest of the fellas. i hope some more guys have some good comments/stories to tell as well. i believe especially us young guys can benefit from the things the experienced sly guys have to say! thanks again, and keep them coming!

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 08:27:29 PM »
My hair had been receeding slowly over the years (I'm 67 now) and starting about 10 years ago I started having it cut shorter and shorter ....I decided it was time for a buzz and the reaction of the hairdresser was really strange.  I remember asking for a #2 all over and she replied that that was too short she would make it #3 on top and #2 at sides.  It was only when I went to a new hairdresser and the young stylise simply sais I think it should be #1 -and I said go for it.  I guess my point is that apart from that last example I never had a hair dresser say "say, you're getting a bit thin on top let's buzz it right down". 

I had experiences similar to kenrh, but a bit different. I am 57. At 52, I started getting shorter.  The barber suggested a buzz a few time, but I was not hearing him.  Guess I wasn't ready.  Then my wife suggested a buzz.  Looking back, I wish the barber had been more direct sooner.  Eventually, he did give me a 2-3-2 that I really did not ask for.  I loved it.  Two months later, I got a #1 for a vacation, but then went back to #2 for a while. When I asked for a #1, he said let's try #1.5 and see how that looks.  Then I went to #1.5 on s&b#2 on top; then #1 on s&b#1.5 on top; you get the idea.  Along the way, he occassionally went shorter than I asked.  It was like I was a fish on the line that he was reeling into the tight buzz.  He made me want it.  Once, on a whim, I asked him to cut the top shorter than #1.  He said, "take it all off?" I said yes, and he did (top only) without hesitation, which surprised me at the time...not even an "are you sure?"  Now I am #0A on s&b & edger on top.  Once he realized I was Ok with the tight buzz, he pushed me along, but at my own speed.  He doesn't do shaves, but sites like this got me to go ever shorter, so that now I am occassionally self buzzing.  Would like to be #1 or less all the time, but I really enjoy the old time barbershop experience.  So, I agree with kenrh, more barbers should be more direct about the benefits of the tight buzz for us balding, thinning guys.  If barbers and stylists were more proactive about the buzz, hairloss would not be viewed so negatively. 

Offline prodigy1290

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 01:22:36 AM »
I went wearing a hat all day, the only time i took it off was when i was sleeping, i still do this today. My family and friends are un-suppsortive of the fact that i trim my hair so short. My mom thinks i need to let my hair grow out, and that ill look fine, and my hairline will grow back, same with my dad..hes been rocking the comb-over for a long time,but it suits him. So all this sort of shot me down, and now i have no confidence when taking my hat off. I quit my varstiy basketball team becasue of my hair. During baseball i would always hold my hat when it was windy, and i woud wear a hat undernath my helmet at all times. This summer i have to attend a wedding ( cant wear hats there). So im trying my best to avoid it, even tho i want to be there. I just cant see myself wlaking around bald, and letting my friends from when i was little see me. lol. My friends in at my uni. really dont care, they just ask me why i do it. so yea, just wanted to tell you guys my experince.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 12:05:51 AM »
I started doing the messy, spiky look and then one day the lady that cut my hair said, "I think you're starting to thin, let's dye it blonde."  I said OK and went with it for a couple of months.  Then it came hunting time and I shaved my head.  Been shaving ever since.  I guess that was the only time I thought I was covering it up.  But, if I look at pictures before then, I was going bald for a couple of years before.  I just never noticed.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 07:26:17 AM »
the lady that cut my hair said, "I think you're starting to thin, let's dye it blonde." 

Dyeing it blond.  That's one remedy I haven't heard before.  Thinning never really bothered me. and I never obsessed about it, or covering my thinning hair.   My barber did suggest shorter styles, and as I, and others here have said before, I wish he had been more direct, in suggesting the buzz sooner.  I got to the buzz when I could see through my hair and it looked like it was heading to a combover.  I did however have hesitation about embracing the clipper shaved look. I thought it would make me look older, but my barber said it would make me look younger. I still  wrestle with the concept, but he was right, it makes me look younger... just bald & younger.  But looking younger, (or maybe it's just difficult for people to guess my age) is not a bad outcome. I'll take a clipper shaved bald head in exchange for looking younger any day.   For all you younger bald guys that obsess with your situation, I think many of you look more mature or older, which can be an advantage, workwise or socially.

One other comment on "dyeing it blond".  I doubt a real old fashioned trained barber would suggest that.  Brings up another issue... the take-over of barbering by beauticians.  It's sad. I realize many men dye their hair to cover gray, but that's not for me.   Might work for some people, but for me that's no different the rugs, plugs and drugs.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »
I went back in you post history since your profile doesn't say where you are geographically.  People are funny in different areas, from different backgrounds, and different social situations.  But, I digress, because I found in your posts a statement that really got me relating to a serious problem.  You said that you had high blood pressure, and that the doctor wanted you to take medication.  Putting aside your relative minor problem w/ mpb, I hope you've made the decision to work on the blood pressure.  Being told that you need to take a medication that is "old folks" medicine is a shocker--I've been there, done that.  Hopefully you've followed the dr's prescription and started working on getting the BP under control--it is serious, but a pill in most cases resolves the issue.  Generally there 's no effect, just the little machine has good rather than disturbing news.  If you've got that under control, mpb is a walk in the park.

You and the people around you are going to accept it, and while you're sly mpb continues its work--but you don't have to watch and your friends won't see.  Within a year, possibly two the people you know now won't remember you w/ the remnants of your hair and your new friends and acquaintances won't know you any other way.  It's your minor issue. 

Recommendation--take the meds, shave daily or at least every other day and get on with life, and to quote that great line from Auntie Mame, "Life's a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"  Get your plate and get in line for the banquet.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 02:47:14 PM »
Thankfully, I never tried to conceal my balding head.  My stepmom did suggest that maybe I eventually get a toupee, transplant or rogaine!  Instead, I went sly!!!  She is not crazy about that, but she still loves me and give me no more flack about it!

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »
Huh, what is it about hairdressers?

Way back in the ice ages when I had enough hair to cut, I'd always get the "I don't like to cut it too short" crap. I finally found a barber who gave a mean flat-top (at about 1/4 the price of the hairdresser).

That only lasted a few years before I started thinning out and just started buzzing it with no guard in the bath tub.

Haha how did you not electrocute yourself clipping in the tub bear?? LOL
==SLY SERGEANT==