Author Topic: Layoffs  (Read 4819 times)

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Layoffs
« on: November 14, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
Whats up domers.  As you all know, times are hard and poeple are losing jobs.  I heard rumors that my company would be doing layoffs, and yesterday I found out it's true.  I'm a contractor at my current company, and they just renewed a new contract, saying that they could only keep 3 guys from our team.  I was blessed to be one of those 3, but in turn I've lost two of my friends, who no longer have jobs.  I feel horrible seeing them go, and I will miss them.  Doesn't help that it's happening at this time of the year, either.
Just looking back at buck's thread, I know a lot of you guys have gone through getting laid off, and your replies give me hope for my buddies.  But given these economic times, it's been a struggle for people to find jobs lately.

Any news or rumors at your company?  I don't know if there is much you can do to avoid a layoff, but is there anything you're paying closer attention to these days?

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Layoffs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:57:46 PM »
Trev-

For my company things are very good currently. the group I work in has hired 6 new contractors recently.
I have been laid off in the past and it's horrible for many reasons.

I will say this though........... I personally know a lot of people taht have been laid off over the years........ and I don't know one that wasn't better off for it in the long run.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:10:28 PM »
I am the warehouse manager at a carpet store.  I am also in charge of planning the company Christmas party.  My boss told me that there would not be a party this year because of the economy.  But it is not because he can't spend the money.  He was concerned about the message that it would send since he is going to have to lay off a salesman.  Plus I believe it will be at my store as the other stores have lost people because they quit or got fired for cause.  Those people have not been replaced.  But I think I know who may be laid off as I am putting pieces together.  I am sad about this.  But it is nice that my boss trusts me.  It has not been announced yet.  But still it is a bummer.

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:18:58 AM »
I work in the pest control business and we stay pretty busy although our Saturday work for vacation rental properties is pretty much over for the year. The only part of our business that took a hit was new construction treatments and inspections for home sales. My wife works for a builder and they are down to 11 people.

That being said there are jobs out there. Yesterday I picked up a book by Larry Winget. It's called "Your Broke Because You Want to Be." He talked about doing what you had to do to make ends meet and pay down debt.  There are positions open but alot of people think part-time jobs or non-professional jobs are beneath them. As he said.."A job is a job...PERIOD." It may not be what you want or like but it will pay bills and put food on the table. I've often thought of my wifes grandfather who for well over 40 years held two jobs, raised 5 children and lived well into his 80's. Times like these we do what we have to do.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

PE#1

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 08:03:15 AM »
Not really a layoff here but I have been out of work for over 2 years taking care of my son.  Just had an interview with a night time job a few days ago and got hired.  Whew!  Couldn't have came at a better time either with Christmas right around the corner.  The past 2 years have been crazy stressful.  I could have gotten back to work sooner but my mother-in-law had a few health problems and we just couldn't trust her to watch our son.  Passed up a lot of good opportunities but it was well worth it. 

SlyHigh

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 09:08:33 AM »
I work for a private defense contractor.  We're largely unaffected by the economy, but there is some fear that the next government administration may cut defense spending and hurt us.  All in all I don't think we have anything to worry about.

We did have a fairly large commercial division making propellants for car airbags.  We have been getting out of that business over the last couple of years.  It's been a slow transition, so no one has been layed off.  I do almost no commercial work now, it's all defense related projects, so I have no job worries.

At this point we could stand to gain more engineers, so there would be no reason to lay any of us off.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »
I work in a very busy supermarket so I think thankfully, I will be ok.

My thoughts and prayers are with those not so fortunate.

If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Wil87

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Low Lie The Fields of Athenry
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 10:29:41 AM »
I got laid off, and now trying to find a job is a bloody nightmare!! Every is tightening their wallets because the media tells them too, if people spent money, the economy would balance itself out, but because everyone is scared to hire new staff I can't get a new job!! Nightmare!!

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »
I got laid off, and now trying to find a job is a bloody nightmare!! Every is tightening their wallets because the media tells them too, if people spent money, the economy would balance itself out, but because everyone is scared to hire new staff I can't get a new job!! Nightmare!!

:( that you are having such a bad time
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Tor

• Ride the World!
  • Sly
  • Bald Rider
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 12:50:04 PM »
Work in healthcare, me and my wife both. We work at the same hospital, which might not be a good thing it they decide to lay off. She works in direct healthcare, I work in information systems. The numbers didnt look bad here a couple of weeks ago. Nevertheless, we spend quite a bit less than we used to. To those of you that lost your job lately, please don't give up, and while you are hunting for a new, take anything you can get your hands on,,,,,,don't let your pride win, take something that pays less in the meantime. At least you have an income. And believe me, doing something beats the hell out of sitting at home being depressed.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:59:07 PM by Tor »
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

GASlick

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »
I work in direct healthcare also.  Pretty recession proof.

cargoguy

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 12:00:48 AM »
Layoffs suck. I have been there a few times. I work in aviation and it is a tough business to be in due to it not being so recession proof. I have learned to always have a second job to absorb any problems with shortage of work. I had the most recession proof job at one time as a correctional officer but that was not safe and paid crap for the danger involved. I now inspect aircraft parts (was a structures tech for years) and work loading cargo (on aircraft) in the evenings. I always think about going into a different field to make more money and have more job security but at 44 it seems tougher to start over. Right now I am happy to be working because many are not and the possibility of layoffs is always there.

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 01:17:53 AM »
I've got alot of retail management experience and people don't understand why I work at a grocery store, but to be honest it's pretty simple - humans have to eat and in a tightening or worsening economy, the first thing most families do is cut back on how often they eat out which affects servers and kitchen workers in restaurants the most.  If you're out of a job and need an income, I would suggest looking into openings at grocery stores.  It might not pay much but once you get in there and show what you can do, you'll typically get all the hours you want.  I recently had 5 different people approach me and ask if i'd be willing to help them get on saying they'd do anything.  They all worked in some aspect of the auto industry - 1 guy worked at the local Ford plant and was making great money but had been laid off and didn't have an education beyond high school.  They hired him and although he didn't make nearly what he was, he proved himself, and got promoted to the asst groc mgr which paid alot more.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 11:21:02 PM »
This climate sucks, i work a full time job, and do online classes so i can get my school teachers certification, plus iam looking at getting a part time job so i can pay for travel expenese and pay off my credit cards, i did read the Larry Wingnet Book Youre Broke because you want to be last week, since ive read the book i plan on getting another part time job so i can have my credit cards paid off.

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »
I am a California school teacher...nuff said!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]