Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 620080 times)

Offline B.Dangerous

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2009, 10:47:34 AM »
My head started breaking out over the last 4 - 7 days.  I'm guessing for the most part ingrown hairs that have not been able to push themselves out due to my regular shaving.  I don't know.  I've been rubbing down with antibacterial wipes after every shave.  Still definitely have hair falling out.  Was hoping it would all fall out a little closer together.  In a perfect world I guess.  Has anybody else had any issues like this?  Thanks guys.

marty22

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2009, 11:44:14 AM »
it happens. You need up to 21 days to fully heal.

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »
I just had a test run done on the island on the front of my head using a different laser that my derm uses just for hair removal. Is this what your scalp looked like a couple of days after having your treatment? I can't really see, other than the color and that it is rough, that there is any change from before.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

marty22

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2009, 06:12:50 PM »
sort of.

Offline B.Dangerous

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2009, 10:40:46 AM »
A couple days after my treatment my head was still slightly swollen.  The only difference I could tell at that point was that the hair growing had a stiffer texture to it.  Deep fried I guess.  Around day 9 my hair started falling out rapidly for 2-3 days.  At that point when I shaved my head it looked pretty damn smooth, but not all the hairs fell out.  At about the three week point I started breaking out a little and some hair was still falling out.  My bumps are starting to go away now, but all hair is still not gone.  My nurse, without ever doing the head before, had told me that all my hair would fall out and be gone for about 5 weeks.  At that point we were supposed to schedule our next session.  I still have patches of hair and it's almost been a month.  Maybe that's how it works with hair on other parts of the body and that is what she was assuming would happen up top.  I did a simple google search and found out through wikepedia that the growth cycle on your head is not the same.  If I know that, than why don't dermatologists?  It seems as if a solid handful of people on here have had this done now, or started the process, and all seem to be having or have had varied results.  Very interesting.  I guess as long as the end result is the same, the road traveled will matter less as time goes on.

Offline chadimus

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2009, 01:56:54 PM »
I had some professional photography taken a few weeks ago that really brought home how visible my hair halo is and I've decided to take the plunge and start laser removal procedures.  I live in Southern California and I wanted to ask how much I should expect each treatment to cost?  I'm not entirely cost sensitive, but I want to make sure I'm not over-paying since I expect it will take many, many treatments. 

I've read $150 a visit up to $500, so I wanted to get a better understanding of the cost so I can make sure to budget enough to follow through for up to 12 treatments if that's what it takes.

Thanks guys and I really appreciate this forum, it's been very helpful.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2009, 01:47:50 PM »
Save yourself a load of money chadimus, and just keep shaving it.     :/O

Offline BuzzKC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2009, 02:04:01 PM »
I gave it a try and didn't get any result. I know that isn't typical. Some guys here have great results after a dozen sessions.  I'm just not committed to looking like a patchy radiation victim during the process.

Offline Some Guy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2009, 02:29:46 PM »
I let my hair grow in for nearly a week to see where I was at after the two laser treatments I had over 2 months ago.  There are some small dark spots, but the rest of the remaining hair is fine and white.   When shaved the spots are barely noticeable.  I'm planning on scheduling another visit but am in no hurry as funds are low. As we've discovered, results will vary.  At this point shaving is a breeze and now a fusion blade is good for about 3 weeks.
The hairier pic is from this time last year. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:38:18 PM by Some Guy »

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2009, 05:25:39 PM »
Some Guy...do you feel stubble every day and do you shave it or do/can you go days in between shaves?
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline Some Guy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »
just a little after a day on the back, it's slight.  The sides are pretty much stubble free for 2 days.  Because the hair is white there's not much shadow unless I let it grow in for a few days.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:38:50 PM by Some Guy »

Offline chadimus

« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2009, 08:57:42 AM »
Since I spend up to five bucks a week on razors I don't see how skipping the laser treatments is cost effective in the long run.  I'm spending 5 minutes a day and $250 a year on razors and still not happy with the look.  And I think the entire concept of continuing to shave just to "keep it real" is rather lame.

SO....  I went in for a consultation today and ended up getting my first treatment.  $800 for five treatments and I decided to take the plunge on the spot.

It took about an hour and at some points the pain was excruciating.  Since the doctor would have preferred to use a higher setting on the laser to achieve a better result, the next treatment in a month will include applying a topical numbing agent an hour prior to the treatment.

It's hard to see much of an effect the day after but I've already committed to another four sessions.  He seemed confident it would take 5 sessions and at the extreme, possibly one or two more. 

If I can achieve the smooth look that requires little to no shaving for the rest of my life, then its all worth it.

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2009, 09:46:38 AM »
Good for you chadimus.  Keep us informed on how it's going and post up some pics if you dont mind.

Offline B.Dangerous

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2009, 11:55:55 AM »
Congrads Chadimus!  My new question I've developed this morning is "what happens to the white hairs?".  To my knowledge white hairs are not effected by laser and I'm having some white hairs grow back.  I'm just going to have to shave those off occasionally?  Anyone?  . . . . . . . . On another note, this is not timing itself the way it was planned so I'm a little confused on when to go back.  I know, I know, call your doc right?  The plan was all the hair was supposed to fall out and then when it started to come back I would reschedule.  Some of the hair still seems to be falling out along with some white and thin hairs growing back in inplace of some of the hairs that had previously fallen out. 

Offline chadimus

« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2009, 03:01:15 PM »
Maybe I didn't ask enough questions or enough homework....

Are hairs supposed to fall out between treatments?  I was assuming that after a zap and a shower, what you see is basically what you've accomplished for that treatment.

Also, very important, the doc recommended not shaving my head for five days afterward, but I'm really wanting to shave over the weekend.  I should have just asked him the dumb question of why I can't shave, but didn't.  Anyone know what the issues are with shaving two days after laser treatment.

Wishing I could fast forward a few months to see where this is going...