Author Topic: Time for a change?  (Read 5654 times)

Offline Big Jon

• Sly Jr.
    • Myspace
Time for a change?
« on: July 26, 2008, 12:37:57 AM »
Hey guys!

I'm Jon, from NY, and I just turned 24 this past Tuesday. How's it going?

Hear's my story. Back in my freshman year of college I had a big afro. I got my hair braided in cornrows and got it done off and on for a few months. When getting your hair braided it's pulled tight and it's not unusual that hair comes out when you're unbraiding it. Sometimes that hair doesn't grow back which leads to alopecia. I realized this when prior to starting my sophomore year I cut my hair short and there were a few small bald patches. I tried all sorts of different shampoos and creams to get it to grow back. Weeks, months, and years went by. But recently it finally sunk in that the hair will never grow back. I was a little sad.

My mother suggested I shave my head. I never liked the thought of a shaved head but over the past few days it's been on my mind. I think I'm actually warming up to the idea. Maybe it's time for a change. As I said I just turned 24 and I'm going back to school for my master's degree. Maybe this change is something I need.

So I want to know: When and why did you guys start shaving your heads? Does anyone else here have alopecia? What advice can you give me?

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
Re: Time for a change?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:56:07 AM »
Hey there Jon, welcome to the forum  :)
if it's advice you need, this is the place to get it  O0
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

GASlick

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 12:56:45 AM »
Welcome Jon!

Don't have alopecia.  I started shaving my head just because I wanted a change.  I had long hair down to my shoulder at one point.  Sometimes, I just want something new.  The best way to start is to buzz it down to no guard and shave from there.

I use HeadSlick or Nivea for Men Xtreme Comfort gel and a Fusion.  I also have a Mach3.  DO NOT use a disposable or cheap razor.  It will get you every time.

There are a couple of guys on here that do have alpecia and they can give you a lot of input.  Welcome to the gang!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 12:30:24 PM »
Jon, welcome to SBG!  I shaved my head for the first time when I was 24 and haven't gone back.  I'd say give it a shot.  Your hair will grow back to the way it is now, so there really isn't any risk.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »
Hey Jon...

Former big fro guy and cornrow dude?...

BALD is a great alternative...trust me, you wanna "edge"..

shave your head slick bald...and you'll have your edge back bro!

Started shaving my head completely bald when I was about 24-25 but because I like the bald look.. I have a full head of hair ..

Go for it! O0

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 01:00:26 PM »
You've got nothing to lose, but perhaps much to gain. There is no down side.

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 04:24:19 PM »
Hey Big John, first welcome to the forum. If you consider MPB alopecia then I'm one of those guys. Though I try not to catagorize myself in anyway. I started loosing my hair when I turned 30 and shaved my head for the first time when I was 34. I've been a SLY guy now since April. It is the best thing I've ever done regarding my hair loss.

My best advice is to just go for it! Take the SBG 30 day challenge. Shave it off for 30 days and see how you like it. Chances are you'll never go back.  O:O

Most important of all is to stay active here on this forum and soak up all of the great wisdom and advice of my SBG family. O0

Let us know what you decide and we'll do all we can to help you along the way.
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 04:37:52 PM »
Welcome to the club John.

Offline Big Jon

• Sly Jr.
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 11:33:59 PM »
Hey guys! I have an update!

First I want to thank you for your support.

Second, this past week I notice more bald guys at my job than usual. (I work at Wal-Mart.)

But anyway, guys, I WENT ALL THE WAY TONIGHT!!!! Using a Conair trimmer I buzzed off my hair. I look pretty darn good. I took some pictures and you'll get to see them soon. Since it's late (1:30 AM) I'm going to wait until tomorrow to use my razor. This is so awesome.

I guess this means I'm a sly. ;D

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 11:50:25 PM »
Awesome Big Jon.
Yep you sound pretty sly!  O0
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 01:31:02 AM »
That's great!  Yes, you are now Sly.

Now, if you want to be really Sly, tell them to start stalking the shaving section with more head shaving gear!

Just kidding bro!  Well, sort of...
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 03:54:14 AM »
Hey Jon, Welcome to SlyBaldGuys.  Post up those pics soon so we can see you in all your Slyness.

SimplyRed
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 04:39:14 AM »
Welcome to SBG Jon!!

Way to make the decision quickly and then carry it out.

I've been SLY for just over a year.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline BJ

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 05:15:09 AM »
Hey guys!

I'm Jon, from NY, and I just turned 24 this past Tuesday. How's it going?

So I want to know: When and why did you guys start shaving your heads? Does anyone else here have alopecia? What advice can you give me?

Big Jon,

BJ here (aka Buzzed John). What a coincidence another BJ coming on board. Never had an afro or cornrows. I had my hair buzzed throughout high school and college. So it was no big deal when I decided to shave my skull free of hair. Give it a try Jon. You'll probably adjust to the new SLY you in no time.

John 

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 05:23:15 AM »
Congratulations on entering the world of the sly Jon and welcome.   Need any help or advice on the shaving routine, don't be afraid to ask anyone here.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Enter your email address: