Author Topic: Matt Hughes KOd by Thiago Alves?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Matt Hughes KOd by Thiago Alves?
« on: June 11, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »
Did anybody see UFC 85? I just read that Alves KOd Matt Hughes with a knee strike to the noggin over in London. Some of the writers are saying that maybe Hughes is over the hill. Couture has 10 years on him, though, and is still in the hunt. I'm thinking that it has to do with him leaving Milletich and starting his own camp. I think it's called "Hit Squad" or something similar. It would make sense that running a camp and trying to get ready for a fight might be too much at one time. Milletich has a reputation for getting people READY for big fights.
I hear that Hughes wants to fight Serra next. Them two boys just don't like each other.
Did anbody see that fight?

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline jhickman

• Sly Jr.
Re: Matt Hughes KOd by Thiago Alves?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:53:01 PM »
I saw it.  Alves was huge that fight!!! He really can cut some weight.  At the weigh-ins he was commensurate to Hughes in size, but when they entered the octagon, the difference was obvious.  I heard Alves cut 20lbs.  Hughes ended up ditching his bread and butter, wrestling, and went to his jiujitsu by pulling guard.  Alves was just too much for him to handle.

Unfortunately, Hughes is over the hill.  He has one fight left on his contract and called out Serra after that fight.  As for Couture, he's got legal problems with fighting contracts.  He has 2 fights left in the UFC, but does not want to honor that from what I understand.  I read recently that if he can't fight outside of the UFC, he's ok with not fighting at all.

UFC 85 was criticized for not having a good card, but I thought the fighters put on a great show.

Enter your email address: