Author Topic: controlling high blood pressure??  (Read 5125 times)

HoodooMan

controlling high blood pressure??
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »
hi fellas,
   i was wondering if anyone has been able to control their high blood pressure without using drugs? i'm not obese whatsoever, actually really skinny, but i do enjoy salt and beer to a pretty high extent. i'm 165lbs, and 5'10''.  i work out alot, and i'm only 23 and in college. my doctor says my pressure is really high and he wants to put me on medication for it. it's been ranging from anywhere between 140/90 to 165/95, so i definately have hypertension. dealing with hairloss and hypertension sucks. i also have mild asthma, and eczema on the palms of my hands which sucks because i'm a semi-professional guitar player. i have a bad feeling about dealing with  these health problems since i'm so young. i'm greatful that i don't have anything too serious (although hypertension causes stroke and heart attacks, so it's pretty serious i guess) but i'm having a hard time dealing with all these things at once. anyone dealt with issues like these with any success or have any advice for a fellow sly brother?

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: controlling high blood pressure??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »
Lose the salt.

Offline ShavedDave

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:34:43 PM »
Beer makes it high..........
Rolling out the red carpet,
Best Regards,
Shaveddave

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 07:36:21 PM »
You didn't say if you smoke. If you do stop.

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 07:43:30 PM »
Beer makes it high..........
Is that a statement or a question?  ???

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

HoodooMan

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:46:24 PM »
i actually did just quit smoking a few months ago. and also, anyone have any suggestions on diets low in salt? i've looked at everything in my cabinets/refrigerator, and it seems that everything that is processed contains SOOO much salt in it. what can you eat that isn't so salty?!?!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 07:19:39 AM »
It's a bummer at first, then the medication becomes routine, like everything else.  It may take a month or two for you and your doctor to find the best meds for you.  Get a home meter, check it twice a day, morning before leaving for work, and evening before bed and take the record w/ you to the Dr., the readings are more important than the ones taken at the Dr's.  Beer is loaded w/ salt, so it's not a food anymore, it's a treat once you get it under control.  Uncontrolled bp is the only bad thing--strokes, heart damage, etc.  Controlled, it's just life.  You'll get through this, and you're lucky to have found out before the damage it can cause let you know you had it!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:28:19 AM »
Hey Hoodoo, it's interesting that you work out often, yet your diastolic reading is 90 to 95. It my understanding that the systolic (first #) is the more critical one when it comes to assessing high blood pressure, so I'd be curious about your 2nd #.

Reducing your salt intake is definitely a good move. One thing that I use a lot of is low sodium soy sauce. Team Schro loves soy, and you don't miss out much with the flavor by going to a low sodium version. Also, we eat a lot of salsa. Yes it does have some salt, but the fact it is mostly vegetable is a definite plus. Plus (to no one's surprise), drinking a lot of water is always a good thing.

Good luck.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline no1birdman

• No Jokes
  • Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 07:41:17 AM »
Hi, it is the 2nd 1 that is important, it used to be anything under 100 was ok but now they like it under 80. I take 2 garlic cloves a day, crush in mouth before swallowing then drink a bit af milk.Garlic thins the blood and reduses blood pressure and also cholesteral,Everyone i know who has tried it has gotten below 80.It is not the nicest to eat but it is better than poisining your system with drugs.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:23:57 AM »
Hypertension runs in my family and I have had to be on meds for years.  That diastolic is getting up there and needs to be controlled.  Your top number, the systolic is the pressure of the blood leaving the heart and so is always higher.   THe diastolic is the pressure returning to the heart and like birdman said when that is past 80 or so doctors generally recommend meds to get it down.  Exercise with docs approval is great for getting the bp down, reducing stress and reducing body fluids (since hypertension is controlled by the kidneys).  As the other bros have said reduce the sodium intake to control fluid and perhaps change your beer to red wine.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »
The alcohol and carbs cause your blood pressure to spike.  To keep salt out, try to cut out all processed foods that you can.  Stick to fresh meats, vegetables, etc.  Cold cuts contain A TON of salts, so stay away from those and instead bbq or roast turkey or chicken for your sandwiches. 

Like Schro said, drink LOTS of water.  This should all help, but it could be hereditary and you may need to go on drugs still.  But, try to get it down on your own.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
i actually did just quit smoking a few months ago. and also, anyone have any suggestions on diets low in salt? i've looked at everything in my cabinets/refrigerator, and it seems that everything that is processed contains SOOO much salt in it. what can you eat that isn't so salty?!?!

You'll find a lot of stuff marked "no salt added" at the supermarket. Let me forewarn you though. BIG difference in taste.

GASlick

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 06:06:14 AM »
My BP stays around 140/90 but that's just my normal.  Meds make me crazy.  If I cut back on the beer, it would definitely help.  I took some BP meds for about 6 months and it disrupted my digestive system.