Author Topic: Sunburnt head...  (Read 13666 times)

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Sunburnt head...
« on: May 19, 2008, 06:50:16 AM »
So Saturday it was sunny and 26'C and naturally I slept most of the day since I always work nights and stay on that schedule.  That day though I woke up early and headed to my buddies tattoo parlor to get some ink done.  I leave there at 5:30 and head to another friends cause we're having a long weekend bbq/bonfire.  I sit down with a beer in the sun at 6pm, but still get burnt so bad I was turning away head rubs later that night.

I couldn't believe that I got burnt that bad in the early spring with an evening sun.  This may be a rough summer for me.  Anyone else here as pasty white and burns as fast as I do?  What do you do when you get a bad burn?

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
Re: Sunburnt head...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:34:39 AM »
I guess I'm kind of lucky. My paternal grandmother was Apache and I guess those genes help because I tend to tan pretty quickly. I still wear sunscreen on my noggin when I know I'll be out in the sun for any length of time.

Better safe than sorry.

There are some very good after sun products available to help ease the burn and moisturize your scalp. Look for products that contain aloe. They work quite well and many also contain something to help numb the pain.
Mason

Linux: because a pc is a terrible thing to waste.

What do you mean guys don't knit????

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 07:44:09 AM »
Aloe good... make the bad burn go away!

I just try to avoid using any aloe or anything else on my head before I go to sleep.

If my head has anything on it at night with a sunburn - I sleep like crap as my head gets so hot.
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

www.myspace.com/hascoline

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 07:59:51 AM »
I put aloe on my head every night, whether I am sunburned or not.  It is a great moisturizer.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:14:55 AM »
Took the dog to the dog park at the local marina on Saturday... 1st real hot day here and no shade at the park so I wore my boonie hat!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 10:50:29 AM »
You gotta' "season" that head for a while.... and get some good sunscreen and carry it with you!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »
I think the best thing for ANY sunburn is Aloe Vera. No matter where it is.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 12:20:49 PM »
I agree with the aloe thing, it will heal a sunburn overnight.

You have to start packin sunscreen man. Very important.

I was swimming all day in Maui a few years back and didnt have sunscreen on and I burnt my head something terrible. Had blisters on top and it was very painful. Besides the obvious pain, skin cancer is a very real posiblity.

I have a cream that has spf15 that I usually apply daily. I also have a spf 30 and 50 that I will put on if I am going to be out in it without a hat.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
When you buy sunscreen just make sure it's a "sport" type that won't sweat off.
Mason

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 12:24:53 PM »
For my son's 2nd grade science fair project, he did a study on sunscreen effeicacy and found little difference between spf30 & spf50. Then again, it was done on hot dogs and plastic beads, and sun exposure for only an hour or two.

Oh, I also love the Aloe thing. Feels nice, even if you're not sunburned.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »
I dont know if it is true or not but a friend told me recently that the SPF rating was in reference to how long you could stay in the sun before reapplying...

anyone know?
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
I dont know if it is true or not but a friend told me recently that the SPF rating was in reference to how long you could stay in the sun before reapplying...

anyone know?

No, it's supposed to reflect the amount of UV it blocks or absorbs.  Where your friend gets that from is that an spf rating of 30 means that you can stay out in the sun 30  times as long as without sunscreen before getting the same level of UV exposure and sunburn. It has nothing to do with reapplying.

This page explains it pretty well.  http://www.coolibar.com/spf-ratings.html

You'll note that the spf rating has nothing to do with UVA protection. One needs to read the label to make sure the product contains UVA blockers. It will usually either say UVA by name or say "broad spectrum".
Mason

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 01:52:50 PM »
Cool, thanks for clearing that up The Trucker

Offline baldking

• Brian
  • Sly
  • "The time is now"
    • bald head shine
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
I have a sunscreen for bald heads with a moisturizer and shine with maximum protection.  55spf.  Give it a try www.cuesheild.com bald king

So Saturday it was sunny and 26'C and naturally I slept most of the day since I always work nights and stay on that schedule.  That day though I woke up early and headed to my buddies tattoo parlor to get some ink done.  I leave there at 5:30 and head to another friends cause we're having a long weekend bbq/bonfire.  I sit down with a beer in the sun at 6pm, but still get burnt so bad I was turning away head rubs later that night.

I couldn't believe that I got burnt that bad in the early spring with an evening sun.  This may be a rough summer for me.  Anyone else here as pasty white and burns as fast as I do?  What do you do when you get a bad burn?
http://www.baldheadshine.com
slimgoodbody@hotmail.com

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 06:11:42 AM »
I have a sunscreen for bald heads with a moisturizer and shine with maximum protection.  55spf.  Give it a try www.cuesheild.com bald king

http://www.cueshield.com/
 ;) -> Fixed the spelling for you.
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

www.myspace.com/hascoline