Author Topic: Man, I look fat in that picture....  (Read 15885 times)

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
Man, I look fat in that picture....
« on: May 06, 2008, 06:52:47 AM »
Last night I found this forum, and have already posted in the boards on a different topic...

After I posted I needed to put up a pic of the new sly look. While thumbing through 100's of pics on my pc I saw one of myself from the side and GOOD LORD - I've gotten huge!! ???

Funny how when I look in the mirror I see myself for all the good (I'm really not conceited -  I promise :/O) but when I look at pictures taken when I'm not ready ( and by ready I mean sucking the gut in) I look huge.

Well, big motivation for me to start losing weight.

Mind over matter.... so I am going to start a new thread here to track my weight loss.

No shame in my game so I will make sure to include my weigh in's once a week.

If anyone wants to join me - come along - it's going to be a fun ride!

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

www.myspace.com/hascoline

StogieStang

Re: Man, I look fat in that picture....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 07:14:11 AM »
I started eating better and exercising more myself.  I lost 10 lbs in the last 15 days (I've been real aggressive).  I've been getting encouragement and accountability from my good friend that I check in with once a week like you are planning.  It helps to have someone to answer to, to keep you on track. 

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 08:26:33 AM »
Welcome Baldbiker. Posting things like this in the Fitness/Diet section is a good way to hold yourself accountable.
Back in October 2007, I weighed in at 211. I know that's not fat for a 6' tall man, but it was the heaviest I've ever been. Well, even through the holidays I lost weight. Holding yourself accountable is a good thing, no matter what the endeavor is.

FYI, although I haven't updated the Schro Fitness thread, I'm hanging tough at 200 lbs, and that was after an insane birthday celebration / golfing / drinking & dining weekend.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »
Awesome bro...what ever gets you in shape...btw from the pic you don't look real over weight.

Anyways if you really want to monitor results in a good way, shave off the goat and you can totally see how the weight loss is affecting your appearance...I find the goat helps too much in hiding weight or any facial hair for that matter..

until you reach "your goal" shave off the goat and go "Mr. Clean" till you reach it!

GOOD motivation...

especially if you LOVE your goat! ;)

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 07:25:47 PM »
until you reach "your goal" shave off the goat and go "Mr. Clean" till you reach it!

GOOD motivation...

Ohhhh, I really like having my facial hair.  I just trimmed my full beard down to a goatee and moustache.  But if it would help you to lose weight, it might be helpful.  But I have been losing weight even with my facial hair.  But I will now post my update on my site!

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 07:31:23 PM »
Weight loss is like a stealthy Special Forces soldier in the jungle..You dont even see it coming until one day BAM you see how big you have gotten. I gained 25lbs in 1 year and thanks in part to this forum,my wife and my own desire to lose weight, I've managed to shed all of those lbs in the last 3 months.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 07:58:18 PM »

GOOD motivation...

Ohhhh, I really like having my facial hair.  I just trimmed my full beard down to a goatee and moustache.  But if it would help you to lose weight, it might be helpful.  But I have been losing weight even with my facial hair.  But I will now post my update on my site!

No you dont HAVE to go "Mr. Clean"...just helps motivate with weight issues and "hiding"....

I did it and never went back to the facial hair...STILL workin' those last few pounds though!

Do it if you need a push?!

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:33:17 AM »
Update...

So far I'm three days in to this - and I'm doing pretty good controlling what I eat.

When I hopped on the scale this morning, I had lost 6 pounds! I'm sure a lot of that is water weight - but it's still weight in the right direction!

Also - I found a great recipe for fish taco's with mango salsa - my new favorite food!

In case anyone is interested - here is the recipe.

Tacos:
1 pound white flaky fish, such as mahi mahi or orata
1/4 cup canola oil
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
8 flour tortillas
Garnish with:
Shredded white cabbage
Hot sauce

Mango salsa:
1 cup diced fresh mango
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, drained & diced
1/3 cup diced red onion
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Combine all ingredients and chill. Serve over the fish taco.
Makes 1 1/2 cups of mango salsa.

I take the cabbage and put it in the taco shell, then fish, then mango salsa...

This stuff rocks!
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 12:03:32 PM »
Update...

So far I'm three days in to this - and I'm doing pretty good controlling what I eat.

When I hopped on the scale this morning, I had lost 6 pounds! I'm sure a lot of that is water weight - but it's still weight in the right direction!

Also - I found a great recipe for fish taco's with mango salsa - my new favorite food!

In case anyone is interested - here is the recipe.

Tacos:
1 pound white flaky fish, such as mahi mahi or orata
1/4 cup canola oil
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
8 flour tortillas
Garnish with:
Shredded white cabbage
Hot sauce

Mango salsa:
1 cup diced fresh mango
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, drained & diced
1/3 cup diced red onion
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Combine all ingredients and chill. Serve over the fish taco.
Makes 1 1/2 cups of mango salsa.

I take the cabbage and put it in the taco shell, then fish, then mango salsa...

This stuff rocks!

YUM! Thanks for the recipe Biker, I bet Hallibut would work well for that too.. I am going to give this a shot.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 01:02:31 PM »
Hmmm, fish tacos. I'm gonna have to think that one over.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 01:14:24 PM »
Baldbiker:
Do you grill, poach or fry the mahi mahi?

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 01:37:39 PM »
Baldbiker:
Do you grill, poach or fry the mahi mahi?

The way I made it was by baking... It dried the fish slightly - which made it have a great texture to put in the taco - but I suppose you could do all of the above!

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 06:14:59 PM »
Fish tacos those are killer...I enjoy mine on coarse corn soft tortillas!

JWShaw89

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
I'm aiming to trim down a little bit too...not major weight loss, but just a bit of fat off from here and there.
'Tone up' if you will.
I've noticed that I've gotten slimmer with age anyway without particularly trying to lose weight.
However, I realise that it tends to pile back on in the late teens and early 20's due to alcohol consumption and whatnot.
I think I'm just gonna start doing a bit more jogging/cycling and maybe cut down on junk foods. Easy does it.

JW

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 07:11:20 AM »
Hmmm, fish tacos. I'm gonna have to think that one over.

Don't sell those short, man. A few years ago I was visiting my stepson in Aliso Viejo, CA. Not far from the ocean and pretty near one of the ocean towns that is famous but the name escapes me right now (welcome to the Golden Years!). Anyway, he took us to a Latino restaurant on the ocean that specialized in fish tacos and they were GREAT! Easily as good, and better than most chicken or beef restaurant tacos I've had.

After I retired in '98 I stopped working out for about 3 years. One day I was walking past mirror with no shirt on and saw myself in profile and almost puked. Got on the scale and saw that my weight was 255. All belly fat. Talk about a wake-up! My wife talked me into starting Weight Watchers and I started working out like a fiend. A lot of cardio including treadmill and road running and a TaeBo program called impact which uses a pedestal bag for full contact striking. Over the course of 3-4 months I lost 50 pounds and got to where I could see the outline of abs. First time for that.
I really came to respect the Weight Watchers concept. No special foods that cost extra. Just good recipes using healthy foods and self-monitoring based on a point system, no calorie counting. That was too math challenging for me. Depending on the intensity of the workout I earned extra points that I could use for snacks. And I never felt limited as to what I could eat, that was the part that felt less like being on a "diet".
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.