Author Topic: DO U know how 2 drive "stick-shift"?  (Read 7209 times)

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
Re: DO U know how 2 drive "stick-shift"?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 09:31:53 AM »
I learned to drive my dads 79 Toyota p/u (manual) and every car I have owned (even my 06 Tacoma) has been a manual transmission. I prefer them, so does Mrs. Marz.

I spent about a year or so driving a 54 Chevy truck with a 3 speed column shift, that was nice to learn too.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 11:46:40 AM »
after all the years of shifting through 10+ gears I don't ever see myself getting another stick, automatic all the way baby

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »
I learned to drive in my mom's Austin Healy--stick.  I had a VW Beetle--stick, and a couple of others.  When I got the current Mini Cooper I wanted stick, but that would have been a wait and I didn't want to wait.  Driving stick is really driving, driving automatic is just sitting there.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »
Yes I can. City driving with a stick is the pits.

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 01:21:47 PM »
Here in dear old Blighty an automatic transmission is less common than a good old manual box.  If you take your driving test in an automatic you aren't licenced to drive a manual, but do it in a manual and the world is your oyster.
My dad was a driving instructor so I learnt to drive with him in a manual.  Never owner anything with an auto-transmission.
Although I prefer to use my left foot to change gear and keep the throttle in my hand.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »
When I was 12 my buddy and I took his Dad's 1960 something pick up truck out for a ride. It had a column shifter. That's how I learned..... somebody had to get the damn thing back in the driveway before his dad got home!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Jim80

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »
I was taught on an auto but I'm currently driving a manual, The Mrs's doesnt know yet, plan on teaching her though  "wish me luck"   :Xo!  :Xo!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
Good luck to you and your transmission.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »
Here in dear old Blighty an automatic transmission is less common than a good old manual box. If you take your driving test in an automatic you aren't licenced to drive a manual, but do it in a manual and the world is your oyster.
My dad was a driving instructor so I learnt to drive with him in a manual.  Never owner anything with an auto-transmission.
Although I prefer to use my left foot to change gear and keep the throttle in my hand.

Dave I didnt know that about UK licensing,that is interesting indeed.

JohnMont

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »

I drive a stick; though I was a late learner.   My dad tried to teach me in high school (yep; lots of yelling) ; but I never really caught on.  Then; in 1983 i got my first teaching job and needed a car.  It looked like I had to buy a stick shift; so my new boss took me out and taught me.  It went much better than in the earlier years.   But it turned out I could by an automatic after all; so ; ...  at least I had learned a new skill.   Then; a few years later I needed a car and a relative  gave me his -- a VW Rabbit (cute, robin's egg blue ) but a standard.   So; my new landlord helped me get the kinks out of my driving skills.  Drove that for a few years; then ; automatics up till a few years ago;   There was an excellent lease deal on honda civics ;  if you got basics, bare bones; no A.C.; no CD player; roll up windows; and .... Standard transmission.   Very affordable way to get a new car.  So now I'm purchasing it after the lease has run out; and am very happy with driving a 'stick.'    You feel like you are actuall working the machine; not just sitting there .

John

Offline Jdogs Better Half

• Super Sly
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 04:28:25 PM »
Here in dear old Blighty an automatic transmission is less common than a good old manual box. If you take your driving test in an automatic you aren't licenced to drive a manual, but do it in a manual and the world is your oyster.

Dave I didnt know that about UK licensing,that is interesting indeed.

Its the same in Australia J Dizzle!!!!

StogieStang

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »
My dad taught me on his 1990 Isuzu pickup 5 speed, when I was 12.      We lived out in the country and I would drive consistantly from age 13 on.

Offline flattop peterbilt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »
well i learned on a old 67 Auto Car...with a 350 BIgCam...then i bought my first truck...it had a 3 on the tree...I bought it with a bad clutch..never fixed got used to drivin with out a clutch...lol but i can drive 18 speed,15,13,10,9,6,5,4,3..the only one i have yet to try is a old doubler in some old winch trucks....there is still time for that.....and yes standard is the only way to go in a sports car or 4x4....
Life hands you four Aces bet high...life hands you four duces...call

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 10:25:01 AM »

old station wagon we had that had the stick on the COLUMN. 

My first car--'63 Ford Galaxy Coupe--was a "3-on-the-tree" .... converted it to the floor with a Hurst shifter.

Funny thing is, that was in '78 when I was 16.

That would be like a 16 year old now getting a 1993 vehicle as his/her first.....

Offline dog20

• Super Sly
  • Hello
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 10:26:59 AM »
Nope