Author Topic: Hi from New Member  (Read 5556 times)

Offline Randy471

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Jan. 22, 2007
    • MySpace
Hi from New Member
« on: December 19, 2006, 05:41:27 PM »
Hello from New Orleans!  I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts and profiles.

I buzzed my head for the first time about 6 years ago after some friends encouraged me to do so saying that I would "look hot."  I had grown frustrated with my widow's peak rising and rising.  For the next few years I went back and forth letting my hair grow out and then buzzing it again.  After being disgusted from seeing pictures of myself with thin hair, I finally accepted that it wasn't just bad lighting and I made the decision to keep it buzzed for good.

Until this weekend, I never went "all the way"...I only used the clippers at it's shortest setting (like in my profile pic).  I've continued to have this view of myself as having hair, while everyone around me has seen me as being bald.  This Saturday I finally did it and put a razor to my head.  The shaving part wasn't so bad, but I wish someone would have warned me that my fresh-shaved scalp would feel like sushi!  I liked how it looks though, and I'm going to keep shaving.

Now I'm playing around with facial hair.  I usually have a goatee and mustache, but i like the Mr. Clean look as well.  Any suggestions?

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
Re: Hi from New Member
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 05:46:44 PM »
Hey, welcome to the best site on the net, at least for bald guys anyway.

I've been contemplating the facial hair thing as well, but for the time being, I'll be as clean shavin' as the top of my head.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 05:57:56 PM »
hi Randy - startting to look slick bro!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 05:59:40 PM »
Welcome, Randy!!

Don't be fooled by my profile pic...as the caption reads, it's a "rendering."  I almost feel like a charlatain with all these genuine slyguys here.   I'm still in buzz mode.  Background: have a deal with my wife to lose 15 lbs before I shave slick.

Look forward to interacting with ya
robmeister

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 06:00:21 PM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys Randy.  To answer your questions, I would say to go with a look YOU feel most comfortable wearing and have the most confidence with.  So, if that's with facial hair, then go with the facial hair.  If you're having a hard time deciding, post up some pics with the options and we'll tell you what we think.

What do think guys, am I right or wrong?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 06:07:28 PM »
Tyler's right.

Hi Randy, and welcome!

I'm glad you tried out the "genuine" bald look. A short buzz cut and a smooth shaven head are
worlds apart, both in feel and look. Your head's real smooth and shiny when you shave all the way.

But as Tyler said, go with what you feel most comfortable with. Whether you'll keep the buzz cut or
you start shaving regularly, know that you'll always be welcome at SlyBaldGuys.

Harry
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 06:54:52 PM »
Now I'm playing around with facial hair.  I usually have a goatee and mustache, but i like the Mr. Clean look as well.  Any suggestions?

Welcome and congrats on becoming a sly bald guy!

As far as facial hair. Leave that up to the lay-days. I find that they know best with that. I used to have a landing strip from my lip to my chin and a lay-day suggested I try a go-t. She was right and I've had it for 6 years.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 08:10:27 PM »
Welcome, dude.    The most common look for the bald guy is the moustache/goatee combo, or just a goatee.    Myself, I am growing a full beard with mine that is 6 weeks in tommorrow.   If I don't like it, i'll go down to the goatee.

Again, welcome.
bald for life

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 06:27:34 AM »
Randy, welcome to slybaldguys.com and congrats a great decision!  I'm in synch with several of the other guys here, do what you feel best with.  Do what gives you the best results.  I personally change my facial hair to frequently to say shave it off, keep it, have goatee or just a mustache.  Do what make that guy in the mirror look best (for the day).
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 06:30:24 AM »
Facial Hair?

My goatee was my wife's idea.....and a good one, I think

Offline MC HammerHead

• "..I shouldn't have to tell you who I am...because who I am should be speaking for itself.."
  • Sly
  • Future's So Bright, Got To Wear Shades..and SPF 45
    • Downhillbillies
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 10:01:29 AM »
Welcome Randy.  Glad to see you joining this crew!  You'll find a great deal of good info on here, humor, and some other stuff, and heck, its cool to hang out with this many Sly Bald Dudes anyway!!!

The facial hair thing for me comes and goes.  I am usually cleaned shaven but I always start growing some facial hair before a big race.  I guess it's my mojo or something...just superstitious is more like it.   If you see pictures of me with facial hair it most likely was taken right before I am getting ready to go to a race or at the event itself.  I shave it the day I get back.  This year at the last race of the season I actually shaved it the night before the last day of the the 3 day event....and I SUCKED ON THE THIRD DAY!!!  I will NEVER do that again!  (...actually, I don't think it was the lack of goattee but the fact I had not slept but 5 hours in 3 days that caused the lack of performance but...got to blame it on something!)

MC HammerHead
Downhillbillies Skateboarding Organization
Woody's Halfpipe Board Shop Team
Pavel Skates Flow Team
Axe Army
Headblade Street Team
www.myspace.com/mchammerhead

chadoweasel

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 05:05:37 PM »
Welcome Randy

I wish I could have a goatee. I cant due to my job regulations, but Im giving serious thought to doing the ole Fu-Manchu. It seems mustaches are allowed and there is no specifics on how far down it can go. They say that as long as our SCBA mask makes and holds a seal, we're fine. I'll push the limit here as soon as I have some time off to grow it in before going back to work.

Offline Randy471

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Jan. 22, 2007
    • MySpace
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 05:56:39 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the great feedback! ;D

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 06:53:07 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the great feedback! ;D
That is why we are here, bro!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

BaldRob

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 09:25:39 PM »
Hi and welcome Randy!!

I completely forgot about the newly shaved head feeling like sushi!  Don't worry... it'll feel normal in a few days!

On the facial hair... I've had some type of facial hair since I got out of the Navy 5 years ago.  Goatee, Chin curtain, soul patch, etc...  Big thing is to try different ones out and then keep the one that you like the best!