Author Topic: Martial Arts?  (Read 13177 times)

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
Re: Martial Arts?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 02:39:48 AM »
not to repost old info, on the boards, but I am well versed in multi arts and am also a Defensive Tactics Instructor. I am a retired Amateur NHB Fighter, undefeated. Been around. My 8 year old son just started Tae Kwon Do, in Sept 06, and is working on his Orange Belt now, very proud of my lil Yeti Prince. hehe I am always expanding the things/places I have learned in life, not only that, as stated before, I am a Certified Instructor, dealing with Pressure Point Control Tactics, Come-a-longs, take-downs, knife fighting, weapon retention, ground fighting, disarming knive/gun wielders, basically ways to use the Use of Force Continum to it's full potential. Instruced by International Instructors myself, BIG NAMES. Yeti is a big cuddly type, and not a machismo type either, as my new Birthday Pics will show (on my MySpace page), but the Indominable Spirit lies beneath.   :)   I am very much respected for my demeanor, poise, and skills. Makes like easier, especially when I love being the lets all have fun kinda Yeti I am hehe
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:43:06 AM by Yeti »
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 11:46:41 AM »
training aside yeti, you don't look like someone to f%&k with. glad you are a bald bro.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline MississippiRed

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 10:55:50 AM »
not to repost old info, on the boards, but I am well versed in multi arts and am also a Defensive Tactics Instructor. I am a retired Amateur NHB Fighter, undefeated. Been around. My 8 year old son just started Tae Kwon Do, in Sept 06, and is working on his Orange Belt now, very proud of my lil Yeti Prince. hehe I am always expanding the things/places I have learned in life, not only that, as stated before, I am a Certified Instructor, dealing with Pressure Point Control Tactics, Come-a-longs, take-downs, knife fighting, weapon retention, ground fighting, disarming knive/gun wielders, basically ways to use the Use of Force Continum to it's full potential. Instruced by International Instructors myself, BIG NAMES.

That's cool, when you say ground fighting I'm thinking you mean grappling, was it submission grappling or BJJ or some derivative. Who was your instructor? I'm interested in talking to other cats that grapple and the like as that's my love .

You fought NHB too, man that's a real commitment. Where all did you fight? Were you one of them cats that handed some well known fighter an early loss before they became known. Thanks , Oh congrats on you son's progress.

Red

Offline Tha_Dave

• The Modern Day Druid
  • Sly Guy in Training
    • my myspace
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »
I have a pretty extensive martial arts history since i was a little kid my mom put me in to it and i got addictive and everytime i got a black belt i move on to another style.

Twaekwondo- 2nd degree black- Sensei Mike Jones
Shotokhan first- degree black- World Champion Hiroshi Allen
Little Nine Heaven Kung Fu- first degree Sash- Sifu James McNeil
Hsing Yi - first degree Sash- Sifu James McNeil
Splashing Hands Kung Fu - Blue Sash- Sifu James McNeil
Tai Chi -first degree black Sash- Sensei Bob Allen, Sifu James McNeil
Iron hand-intermediate trainer- Sifu James McNeil
Chi Kung-first degree black Sash-Sifu James McNeil
Chen Style Tai Chi- Blue Sash- Sifu James McNeil

thats about it for a link to the website to gain info on kung fu go to my Sifu site
www.littlenineheaven.com

oh i still do some tournaments but not like i did when i was a kid.
Dave The Modern Day Druid

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 01:52:17 PM »
Did Tae kwon Do for a couple of years.  Did a month or so in Shorin Ryu Karate but didn't like it at all.  That was about 10 years ago, haven't done anything since.
I would love to go back and try kenjutsu or kung fu, two very different arts, neither of which they teach anywhere near me.  >:(

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2007, 10:54:15 PM »
I have been doing Shotokan Karate for about ten years now, and have also done some Ryu Kyu Kobudo (Okinawan weapons).  The dojo that I used to train at was affiliated with with the Amateur Athletic Union, so we did the AAU tournament circuit (moderate contact). 

I have not done any tournament competition in about the last five years.  I just got to the point where I wanted to study and train in the ART, rather than the sport.  There is a difference.  Besides, I got to the point where I understood just what Bob Seger meant when he wrote, "I had nothin' left to burn, and nothin' left to prove".  When that happens, it's time for a change.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
For those Martial Arts Fans:

While doing pre-academy research I'm finding that more hand-to-hand / street techniques being taught in the police academies are borrowed more from Russian Arts (Systema) and Israeli Arts (Krav Maga) than oriental arts.

Normally (at least me) when we think of Martial Arts, we think of Oriental Arts--kung fu, karate, judo, tae kwon do, etc. (which I've been a fan of all my life).  But these Russian and Israeli arts are friggen COOOOL.   

Check out this youtube clip of Russian Systema / combat Sambo.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 07:29:45 PM by Robmeister »

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 10:59:41 AM »
Hey Rob, I was always a big martial arts fan myself, and I was taking some instruction at our local Y about 8 or so years ago. I was really enjoying it and I passed my first promotion. Just that in itself (being there) was very impressive. I was taking Ryu Karate.
This was all before I was married and my beautiful daughter came along, of course, lol.
So it fell by the wayside, but I have also been interested in Krav Maga, as I find it would probably be better in real world situations(street). What's cool is we have a school not too far from me, so I may go and check it out.
I have been wanting to get back into self-defense, and I think this may just be how I can go about it. Have to work a bit on getting back into shape, though. Been a while since I've worked out.
I'll keep you posted.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 12:05:45 PM »
Hey Rob, I was always a big martial arts fan myself, and I was taking some instruction at our local Y about 8 or so years ago. I was really enjoying it and I passed my first promotion. Just that in itself (being there) was very impressive. I was taking Ryu Karate.
This was all before I was married and my beautiful daughter came along, of course, lol.
So it fell by the wayside, but I have also been interested in Krav Maga, as I find it would probably be better in real world situations(street). What's cool is we have a school not too far from me, so I may go and check it out.
I have been wanting to get back into self-defense, and I think this may just be how I can go about it. Have to work a bit on getting back into shape, though. Been a while since I've worked out.
I'll keep you posted.

Ahhhhh......a kindered spirit ! :@`

Offline whitetoast

• Sly Jr.
  • Big & Bald & SLY
    • What I do?
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 06:19:32 PM »
I took Karate when I was in third grade, not sure of the style, but my borther and I both made it to yellow belt and stopped becasue the school closed down.

Now, I take my 4 1/2 year old daughter to Tae Kwon Do, she is a purple belt on the first program, when she gets to brown it is back down to yellow but at the next age group. Then after she goes to brown on that level, she goes back to yellow but that will be the major belt line up to black. They pretty much do two different forms right now, some self defense skills (designed against playground bullies) and lots of games and fun to keep them involved. She had one forms competition last year and took first in her age group. Another one coming up on Sunday and she hope to bring home another trophy for her case. Yeah she is only 4 1/2!!

I myself have always been intrigued my MMA and all of the disciplines that go together. Now I am VERY interested in the Ladies MMA, especially Gina Carano!! Anyone see her before - WOW! a knockout who knows how to knockout!!!

-toast
http://www.nfsnet.com
http://www.whitetoast.us
[img width= height=]http://www.whitetoast.us/images/plate.jpg[/img]

Offline GATMOG

• Sly Jr.
  • serious sly is serious!!
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
Tae Kwon Do:  2nd degree black, 11 years under master Jeff Smith

Tay Son:  1st degree black, 8 years under master Ho Buu

I really want to get into MMA this year  :)

BALDANDRE

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 07:12:01 PM »

See bro you NEED the bald head...

goes with your abilities much better than the "hairy" version of you does! ;)

Offline WannaBePadre

• Look at all of this stuff!
  • Super Sly
  • The hairs of your head have been counted (Lk 12:7)
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 07:18:48 PM »
Got a black belt in Taekwondo 21 years ago ...
Studied Aikido for a bit after that ...
Then got into Taijiquan (TaiChiChuan) for the next 10 years ...
Then just got into being lazy.
Nothing says 'God loves you' more than a bald man in mirrored sunglasses.

Offline GATMOG

• Sly Jr.
  • serious sly is serious!!
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 11:05:44 PM »

See bro you NEED the bald head...

goes with your abilities much better than the "hairy" version of you does! ;)

Yes I figured that too!  Glad someone else see's it that way as well  ;D

Offline whitetoast

• Sly Jr.
  • Big & Bald & SLY
    • What I do?
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 08:10:56 AM »
Got a black belt in Taekwondo 21 years ago ...
Studied Aikido for a bit after that ...
Then got into Taijiquan (TaiChiChuan) for the next 10 years ...
Then just got into being lazy.

Hey Padre - who are you studying under in the Lazy Form? Wanted to see if that option would be good for me?
http://www.nfsnet.com
http://www.whitetoast.us
[img width= height=]http://www.whitetoast.us/images/plate.jpg[/img]

Enter your email address: