Author Topic: paul's goals  (Read 37108 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: paul's goals
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2007, 07:55:46 PM »

Good luck bro.  Soda's were really hard for me.  I don't know why.  It was almost just as hard as giving up smoking.  Weird.  But it's been about 2 months now.   

It's the high fructose corn syrup in the sodas.  It's very addicting.  The body doesn't recognize it as sugar and doesn't break it down as efficiently.  But it definitely makes you crave sweets more.  Sadly, it is a main ingredient in most of the pre-packaged foods we eat.

Offline HotCajun

• Super Sly
    • myspace
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2007, 08:24:02 PM »
lipton makes a diet green tea w/ citrus that is pretty good. has helped alot. dad is doing ok.

Yummy I'm drinking one right now!!!

jusbnme

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2007, 04:28:52 AM »
dad has been home for a week and seems to be doing really well. as for me, i am still fat and smoking.

Hey bro, first off...I'm glad to hear your dad is doing better.  I wish him speedy recovery. 

About your habits...Don't give up man.  Just keep at.  One thing I found that worked better for me was trying one at time.  If you try to give up everything at once it's kind of like getting disciplined when you were a little boy doing something bad.  I hope that made some sense.  But anyway, what saying is start with one habit you want to kick or work on.  My strong opinion would be the smoking.  Keep at it.  Because I am one to tell you it is one of the hardest things in the world.  I may only be 30 but I smoked from the age of 16 until a little over 29.  The day my son was born I gave it up.  I probably tried to quit smoking in all those years about a "gazillion" times...If you know what I mean.  I tried everything too.  I mean everything.  There's no telling how much money I blew on trying to quit.  But one thing I found when I did quit was that if I would treat myself a little more with other things it made it easier to kick the habit.  For instance, I was just like you for about a year before I quit.  I wanted to drop a few pounds and quit smoking at the same time.  So I was putting myself through misery trying to cut back on what I liked to eat and my portions plus trying to cut back on the smoking.  It was just too much at once for me.  I could never stick with it.  I love food and all kinds.  So it's hard for me to try to cut anything out.  So finally when my son was born I made my mind up right there that I was ready to give it another try.  But this time I stopped worrying about the fitness part of it and just concentrated on kicking the smoking.  During the first 6 months or so I just continued to eat whatever I wanted and pretty much whenever I wanted.  Yes, I put on quite a few more pounds but I was, in my mind, rewarding myself for not smoking.  Then once I figured I had the smoking under control, which was almost a year after quitting, I started to work on my fitness.  Which I still don't go all out for because I love food too much.  I just try to cut back on how much I eat now and get enough exercise to maintain my body.  I'm not looking to be "buff"...I just want to be fit enough so that I can get into the fire department.  So anyway, I hope some of this might be of some help bro.  Just remember...One thing at a time.  Start with the smoking.  Some people might think it's unhealthy to let yourself go while trying to give up smoking...But the way I look at it is like this...I can always at anytime, as long as my body is able, down the road start to exercise to drop some weight but I can't go back and reverse the damage of smoking.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2007, 02:08:04 PM »
ok, let's revisit this topic.

i quit smoking three weeks ago. only six months late, but hey, better late than never. now i just need some motivation to get my lazy butt up and do some exercise. have gotten way too lazy in the last decade. maybe after i feel better i can try something. ( feeling a little crappy this week )  if anyone has any ideas, i would be glad to hear them. but be warned, it will have to be better than "GET YOUR BUT UP AND GO" cause i have a million excuses for that one. haha at least i do know that they are excuses, not real reasons.  so throw your ideas at me.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

jusbnme

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2007, 02:14:24 PM »
First off brother, let me say congrats on quitting smoking.  Keep at man because it can come calling back.  Don't get discouraged.  It's been over a year for me now and I love looking back at how long the time period keeps getting.  As far as exercising I don't know what advice I can give you since I'm just as lazy when it comes to that.  I had mentioned in the fitness thread a while back about wanting to start working out a bit to get fit for going into the fire department.  But if I'm being honest here, I haven't started doing a damn thing.  I guess we're both sort of in the same boat.  I know I need to drop a few pounds but I love eating and hate exercising.  What do you do, huh?  Good job on putting the smokes down though.  O0 

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »

i quit smoking three weeks ago. only six months late, but hey, better late than never. now i just need some motivation to get my lazy butt up and do some exercise. have gotten way too lazy in the last decade. maybe after i feel better i can try something. ( feeling a little crappy this week )  if anyone has any ideas, i would be glad to hear them. but be warned, it will have to be better than "GET YOUR BUT UP AND GO" cause i have a million excuses for that one. haha at least i do know that they are excuses, not real reasons.  so throw your ideas at me.

ok...how about this one then...I'm no box of chocolates, but with the "sly" going on and being a fit dude, I have being getting a lot of attention from some fine looking minxes...

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2007, 02:38:06 PM »
not bad yosp. but the wifey would shoot me. :*)) :*))

BALDANDRE

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2007, 02:38:20 PM »

Remember that chick with the blonde crewcut? Susan Powter? I always remember her slogan and it makes perfect sense....just move.....do something...anything..

I think we all get into that "all or nothing" mindset...try going to the gym once or twice a week...straight up, that's all you'll expect of yourself...do only weights or do only cardio...just get a small rhythm...let it build up...going from one extreme to another is too much!

Do the same with eating....cut out sweets and processed foods....only perimiter shop at the grocery store....sounds funny, only eat food from the earth (not processed)...have to have cookies?..... eat only homemade ones...and not 10 of them! Homemade is always better than store bought!

I know I'm rambling, just some advice,,,if you hate it ignore it... I'll just go back to my corner now! ;)

Good luck dude!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2007, 02:48:32 PM »
ok...how about this one then...I'm no box of chocolates, but with the "sly" going on and being a fit dude, I have being getting a lot of attention from some fine looking minxes...

Wait a minute, aren't you about to get married?
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2007, 02:53:16 PM »
andre, that is some of the most sound advice i have heard in awhile. no offense to anyone else but that is good stuff right there.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2007, 03:06:33 PM »
andre, that is some of the most sound advice i have heard in awhile. no offense to anyone else but that is good stuff right there.

Thanks dude...

it's kinda of the misse's credo also, I should have posted a full body shot of her...you'd see, she looks great after having her first baby at 38...

the avatar shot is 8 months after she delivered our little guy!

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2007, 03:24:17 PM »

Stew...of course I'm getting married soon, I never said I was giving the attention back ;) I still have a couple of months of freedom left!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2007, 03:34:20 PM »

In that case, I agree with what Andre said...  ;D

Congrats on quiting cigs bro!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2007, 03:40:52 PM »

Stew...of course I'm getting married soon, I never said I was giving the attention back ;) I still have a couple of months of freedom left!

No the point is you NEVER will miss the extra attention, doesn't matter if you're married or not, getting a look or comment or small flirt is flattering to BOTH the dude and his girl.....IF they are secure in their relationship!

My wife always says a certain waitress has a crush on me...especially when she sees me being 'daddy" with little Dre'! She always gives me a hard time...it's fun, no big! man....little kids are like puppies though...chick magnets!!.......

JUUUSSSTTT kidding, well not really , but kind of! ;)

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2007, 03:59:01 PM »
my wife is insanely jealous. i had a thshirt on awhile back that said "WANNA SEE MY TATTOO" and women kept asking about the tattoo. she got pissed. owell, not my fault she married such a sexy sumbitch. O:O