Author Topic: Willpower  (Read 5330 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Willpower
« on: December 02, 2007, 07:49:59 PM »
I have given up more foods in the past few years than I care to remember, in my quest for a more fit body.  Most of them I don't even think about, as long as I keep them out of the house.  The latest thing I've given up, however -- milk -- is proving to be surprisingly difficult and may be undoing.  In trying to kick a 2-gallon-per-week habit, I haven't had any milk at all since Thanksgiving.  I'm trying to follow that "don't drink your calories" rule in that "Lose 20 pounds in 30 days" (or whatever it was) thread Tyler posted.  I am craving a nice ice cold glass of milk at bedtime, or a nice cup of milky tea.  I'm trying to hang in there for the 30 days but I don't know if I'm going to make it.  I really didn't expect it to be this hard!!   :(

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Re: Willpower
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 08:33:06 PM »
Best of luck, Razor.  You're a better man than I am with a whole lot more will power.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:03:42 PM »
We do only skim milk in our house.  All of that extra fat isn't necessary, and it is possible to switch to skim.  I prefer it now and get grossed out by Vitamin D.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:46:41 PM »
We do only skim milk in our house.  All of that extra fat isn't necessary, and it is possible to switch to skim.  I prefer it now and get grossed out by Vitamin D.

I've always used skim milk or 1%, which is better in tea than skim.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 09:47:33 PM »
Best of luck, Razor.  You're a better man than I am with a whole lot more will power.

I don't know ... I am having one of those hungry nights tonight.  If there were any milk in the house, I'd have had some for sure.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 09:58:13 PM »
I rarely drink dairy milk these days. I usually have Soy or Oat milk.

Nothing better than an ice cold glass of Vitamin D milk though, especially when having a Donut!!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 10:02:18 PM »
I rarely drink dairy milk these days. I usually have Soy or Oat milk.

Nothing better than an ice cold glass of Vitamin D milk though, especially when having a Donut!!

I really can't stand soy milk.  The chocolate isn't too bad, but the vanilla stuff is disgusting. 

Ice cold milk with a graham cracker (haven't had one of those in a LONG time) or a couple of rich tea biscuits really hits the spot when I'm feeling empty.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:05:06 PM »
Razor, I know how hard it can be, because I have gone 30 days without milk and I LOVE to drink milk and eat yogurt.  Though, it does work!  I have my official weigh in tomorrow at the doctor and I'll let all of you know what the final results were.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 10:11:35 PM »
Razor, I know how hard it can be, because I have gone 30 days without milk and I LOVE to drink milk and eat yogurt.  Though, it does work!  I have my official weigh in tomorrow at the doctor and I'll let all of you know what the final results were.

Well, I am cheating a little bit because I am still eating fat-free yogurt.  It's one of the few things I have left to snack on.  That's the only food I have in the house right now, eggs, yogurt, apples, and oranges.   :P

I can't wait to hear what your results are.  I've been curious ever since you alluded to it in one of your earlier posts a few days ago.  So please let us know as soon as you can. 

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 10:18:21 PM »
I thought about following that game plan, too. Don't necessarily have to lose weight, but it looked like a good way to enter the holiday season with some boundaries. The cartons of egg nog in the dairy section are tempting, though...but it's too early in the season.

I only drink skim milk, but once in a while we'll buy some a small carton 2% if a recipe calls for it. The skim's always fine with me, but it has to be ICE COLD.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 10:19:44 PM »

I only drink skim milk, but once in a while we'll buy some a small carton 2% if a recipe calls for it. The skim's always fine with me, but it has to be ICE COLD.

I like to put a measuring cup of milk in the freezer for 10 or 15 minutes and then pour it over cereal.   :@`

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 02:54:29 AM »
Give up milk? Not a chance for me. Like Stew, I always drink skimmed milk but a tea or coffee without any milk is a step too far I think & I am not keen on the soya milk - which is useless in coffee anyway (just sort of sinks to the bottom of the cup as I remember).

Good luck though!

As far as the getting fit thingy goes I probably haven't left first base ... I am still trying to find the willpower to cut out the ciggies!  :(
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 07:17:41 AM »
Give up milk? Not a chance for me. Like Stew, I always drink skimmed milk but a tea or coffee without any milk is a step too far I think ...

That's a Brit thing.   I've known a few Brits who'll drink the odd black coffee now and then (usually when they have a hangover) but tea without milk is considered completely barbaric.   ??? ???  I keep thinking that there must be someone over there who will drink tea black, but I have yet to find anyone!!   ;D  I can do it, but it isn't the same, is it?  :(  I've been tempted to get just a small container to keep on hand for my tea, but less than two weeks into this experiment it seems like too soon to start cheating.

I am with you on the soy milk.  And I'm not giving up "real" milk on a permanent basis.  I just want to see if it will help me shed these last few pounds and maybe then I can reintroduce it into my diet in more moderate quantities.

Offline Hawk

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 07:26:39 AM »
Razor.....Doesn't Carnation or some other brand make a powdered
milk supliment with zero carbs and zero caleries you can try?  I know
back when I was doing a low carb diet they had something I tried and
you mix it up in a pitcher and let it sit for a few hours in the fridge and
from what I remember it tasted just like milk.  Maybe you could try that
as a substitute?
Hawk
"I live life in the fast lane and my hair couldn't keep up"

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 07:31:42 AM »
Razor.....Doesn't Carnation or some other brand make a powdered
milk supliment with zero carbs and zero caleries you can try?  I know
back when I was doing a low carb diet they had something I tried and
you mix it up in a pitcher and let it sit for a few hours in the fridge and
from what I remember it tasted just like milk.  Maybe you could try that
as a substitute?

I don't know.  They make nonfat dry milk, but I think that is basically the same as skim milk.  Still has calories and carbs.  But if you can think of the name of what you used, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Enter your email address: