Author Topic: Early vs. Late-Onset MPB  (Read 52888 times)

Offline DeathTyrant

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Early vs. Late-Onset MPB
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »
I'd have had a much easier time with MPB at 30/40 than I did at 19/20 - trust me. I don't need to experience later life MPB to know in my case. I look at movie stars, politicians, and everyday blokes with baldness in their 40's, and they look fine to me. I would have no problem being bald as a wiser, older man. I just feel that MPB looks a lot worse on a younger guy like myself. Guys at Jason Statham's age or older can look cool with it, just as he does.

HoodooMan

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2008, 05:20:02 PM »
i'd like to second that last post. i'm 23, and going through mpb starting at age 18 was horrible. i spent alot of money on vitamins, shampoos, rogaine, etc. while all of my buddies had full heads of hair. it KILLED my self esteem. especially around the ladies.

Offline Mr.Gleam

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
In my 40's I didn't have to worry about gray hairs or weight gain. My metab is still kicking it pretty good and for some reason I never got gray. Low stress in life maybe. But there was that sneaky MBP thing creeping around.

I think the way it ended up was all good though. The self esteem is definitely there without the droopy receding hair...

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »
good thread razorX! and a lot of good points!as well as from schro, rick, and all the other guys.

to handle early or late mpb developing is a kind of self-refelction i guess. we are all individuals.
it's all about how you developt yourself over the years. i feel with everyone having issues with
"growing out" an mpb. no difference in which age.

i the guess the most important is thing to find peace with it (asap)

-----------
and don't forget this is german-english   ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:26:09 AM by Ben32 »

Offline Big Boss

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »
like has been said before, it all kind of depends on the person.  It's never easy, no matter what age you are.  I started losing my hair at 15, yes, thats right FIFTEEN.  And it still hurts, but something I've found is that if you just be yourself, people dont care.  I think a lot of why people don't want to go bald comes from outside, we as a society have kind of demonized going bald, even though it's not THAT big of a deal, there are far more horrible things than going bald. 

I remember being gutted when I saw had bad it was going, I would stand over the sink running my hands over my hair and watch as it literally down poured hair.  It was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to go through (which is good, because like I said before, there are TONS of things that are much worse) but I think it's taught me a lot.  shortly after i kind of discovered my MPB I cut my hair, as short as I could, and then even shorter, and I just continued my life, no one cares, none of my friends ever stare, in fact I get tons of compliments. 

Like I said before it wasn't easy, and it still isn't and if there was some magic cure that didn't require some ugly scar and fake looking plugs, I'd consider it, but at the end of the day I'd question as to whether or not its worth it.  Again it wasn't easy and its still isn't (im 18 now) but when it comes down to it you just gotta play with the cards you've been dealt, because dwelling on it will only make it worse.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2008, 09:51:07 PM »
... it wasn't easy and its still isn't (im 18 now) but when it comes down to it you just gotta play with the cards you've been dealt, because dwelling on it will only make it worse.

Amen! Glad to see that somebody gets it!   O0

Offline Big Boss

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2008, 09:56:19 PM »
... it wasn't easy and its still isn't (im 18 now) but when it comes down to it you just gotta play with the cards you've been dealt, because dwelling on it will only make it worse.

Amen! Glad to see that somebody gets it!   O0

O0

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2008, 03:22:26 AM »
...but when it comes down to it you just gotta play with the cards you've been dealt, because dwelling on it will only make it worse.
Here, Here !!  Truer words were never spoken.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline nicolasraage

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2008, 04:00:24 AM »
I'm thinking back to high school.... waaaaay back, about 1988.....  and I remember someone coming to school with a shaved head.  It was soooo different, but it was accepted so well... everyone (graduated with 600)  gave him positive attention.  But now I'm thinking that maybe he was one of the people you hear about that had early mpb.  And if that is the case, WOW... what an awesome kid!  To confront something like that at his age head on (pun intended).

Whatever the reason people shave their heads shouldn't matter (in my novice eyes), we have all reached the same plateau; Slyness

Offline Jodah777

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2008, 11:54:58 PM »
It's funny how you made a comparison between those who have MPB at 30 and those who have it at 40. Hear this:
I just turned 25 and have already thinned drastically. MPB starting at 30 is NOT early MPB. MPB starting at 20 IS EARLY MPB. Believe me, it isn't easy to deal with this sh*t at this age... I can't even grow a proper beard yet I am balding severely. Life is great innit? I would give almost anything to keep my hair until I'm 30. I'm almost 100% certain that losing hair couldn't hurt this much if I would be 10-15 years older. It's not about looking older, it's not about getting used to having hair. It's all about what other ppl perceive as normal. Losing hair when you're 30-40 is not a big deal, it's normal. However, only under 5% of males lose their hair in their 20's, it's like being some kinda freak.

That was very eloquently put. It is hardER to go bald before you find the right person to share your life with. It is hardER to go from late bloomer straight into balding. The younger you are, the hardER it is to accept. I typed hardER the way I did because it's never easy, it's always hard, but the qualifier is definitely on a sliding scale. By the time anyone reaches their 30s or 40s, they'll have something obviously aging them, so everyone at that age is pretty much on common ground. At teen-20s, you either have to have MPB or be a severe drug user to have aged noticeably. That does indeed make you a kind of freak/outcast in the eyes of your peers. It does suck having to wait for your age group to catch up to your misery-maturity level. (In my eyes, misery increases maturity through humility. That's why "perfect" people are usually jerks until they start to fade and understand.)

Northernlion

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »
Started balding at 17, now 2 years later and shaved I think I'm glad it happened this early so I could get it out of the way and not have to deal with it at 40 when life is probably more stressful.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2008, 09:32:58 PM »
Started balding at 17, now 2 years later and shaved I think I'm glad it happened this early so I could get it out of the way and not have to deal with it at 40 when life is probably more stressful.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!   O0

Northernlion

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2008, 09:49:31 PM »
I actually kinda feel sorry for my friends that will have to deal with it in the future. I mean, they're gonna be hitting up SBG in 10-20 years while I'll have been rocking the look for ages. I hope it's like the 40 year old virgin and I'll be able to teach them the ways of the sly.

You gotta stop puttin' the hair on a pedestal!

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2008, 08:01:25 AM »
I actually kinda feel sorry for my friends that will have to deal with it in the future. I mean, they're gonna be hitting up SBG in 10-20 years while I'll have been rocking the look for ages. I hope it's like the 40 year old virgin and I'll be able to teach them the ways of the sly.

You gotta stop puttin' the hair on a pedestal!

love your attitude brother

look after your friends, they'll need it

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2008, 08:53:28 AM »
It's funny how you made a comparison between those who have MPB at 30 and those who have it at 40. Hear this:
I just turned 25 and have already thinned drastically. MPB starting at 30 is NOT early MPB. MPB starting at 20 IS EARLY MPB. Believe me, it isn't easy to deal with this sh*t at this age... I can't even grow a proper beard yet I am balding severely. Life is great innit? I would give almost anything to keep my hair until I'm 30. I'm almost 100% certain that losing hair couldn't hurt this much if I would be 10-15 years older. It's not about looking older, it's not about getting used to having hair. It's all about what other ppl perceive as normal. Losing hair when you're 30-40 is not a big deal, it's normal. However, only under 5% of males lose their hair in their 20's, it's like being some kinda freak.

That was very eloquently put. It is hardER to go bald before you find the right person to share your life with. It is hardER to go from late bloomer straight into balding. The younger you are, the hardER it is to accept. I typed hardER the way I did because it's never easy, it's always hard, but the qualifier is definitely on a sliding scale. By the time anyone reaches their 30s or 40s, they'll have something obviously aging them, so everyone at that age is pretty much on common ground. At teen-20s, you either have to have MPB or be a severe drug user to have aged noticeably. That does indeed make you a kind of freak/outcast in the eyes of your peers. It does suck having to wait for your age group to catch up to your misery-maturity level. (In my eyes, misery increases maturity through humility. That's why "perfect" people are usually jerks until they start to fade and understand.)

I think that it is a shame that you view it like this.  I am 30 now and couldnt grow much hair on the top of my head even if I wanted to.  I dont always like it, but it is the hand i have been dealt.  I met my current partner and mother of my child when I was severely thinning.  It wasnt and isnt my hair she loves me for but the fact that I am eloquent, occasionally funny, but moreover am her equal, soulmate and best friend.  She doesnt find me any less attractive for the fact that i have no hair, in fact she laughs at the fact that sometimes i dont like it and says she hates looking at photos of me with hair, becuase it doesnt look like me. 

Dont get me wrong I havent taken to baldness easily i have taken a fair share of ribbing, but whilst i am in my 20's and bald, others are fat, thin, short, big nose, big ears etc.  One man's baldness is anothers alternative insecurity. 

I genuinely do not believe that it is hairloss that hinders you in anyway, I believe it is the resulting attitude.  For me i have always sought to challenge my attitude rather than the cause of it, if a miracle cure appeared I think i would almost see it as defeat to go for it.  Not suggesting that should be everyone's attitude. 
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!