Author Topic: Just Another Bald Head In The Crowd  (Read 8671 times)

Offline AdamzHedz

• Sly Guy in Training
Just Another Bald Head In The Crowd
« on: November 23, 2007, 11:29:56 PM »
I have to say that I am completely surprised by this group. I'm shocked to find such a large group of guys embracing their baldness rather than trying to conceal it or reverse it. I have been dealing with hair loss since my late teens and have to admit that I've done pretty much everything but embrace my own baldness. I was actually searching for a solution to my problem when I came across your group.
While it's not exactly what I was looking for I think this group may be the solution I've needed. I've tried all kinds of products and treatments and nothing has worked. I felt like a freak going bald in my early 20's and I told myself it would be easier to deal with when I reached 25. It wasn't. I then figured it would be easier to handle being bald at 30 and yet here I am 30 and still trying to find another solution.
Like I said earlier, this site wasn't what I was looking for but maybe it's exactly what I needed. Hopefully I can learn from all of you to first accept my baldness and maybe one day embrace it like all of you.

Adam

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
Re: Just Another Bald Head In The Crowd
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 01:47:47 AM »
Hi Adam

Welcome to the group, glad you found us. I would definitely suggest hanging out here for a bit & I'm sure that after only a short time you will begin to feel a lot better about yourself. If you don't mind me saying this, from your pic you are a good looking guy even as it stands but have you ever considered just shaving everything off except for maybe the goatee? I think you'd carry the look off really well & it can do wonders for the old confidence thing! Anyway, stick around & check out some of the old threads  O0
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 02:26:01 AM »
Adam, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  One of the main reasons for this site is so that guys can find what we consider the only real solution to hair loss, embracing it.  To many, embracing it seems like a very complex thing to do, but in reality, it's very easy.  If you haven't tried shaving your head down to the skin, I recommend you plan on doing it.  This doesn't mean that you have to keep it the rest of your life, but there's an amazing feeling of liberation that many guys feel after shaving their head.  Some guys see an instant boost in confidence.  Almost like they shaved their insecurities away. 

Again, welcome to Sly Bald Guys.  We're here for any questions you may have.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 05:26:48 AM »
Adam, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!

Give you a try and shave. I'm sure, you will find, that you look bald very good!

Go on the journey through this forum and enjoy.

J

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 06:57:05 AM »
Adam, we dont want to fool you and tell you that by just coming here will cure all.  But I will tell you this....This site will make the transition much easier and more widely accepted.  I wasnt going bald when i decided to shave so I guess, and I have never really thought about it this way....but I have never had to deal with the going bald issue.   BUT,  in here you will find all the support, friendship, techniques and learning how to be really cool with a sly slick noggin.  I wouldnt trade this site for anything.  I just stumbled acrossed it one day and visited and never left.  I still say Tyler has some sort of gama rays or something that emit from the monitors when you find this site and it just sucks you right in.  Once you get bitten by the site....youre stuck for life.
By looking at your picture....why not...go ahead...shave it off.  Just like everyone else will tell you, follow the tips and techniques posted by our more experienced shavers, shave it off ....see how it goes....Give it 30 days....and I guarentee you will not be growing it back.   But you always have the option of regrowing if it doesnt suit you.  And another thing...you dont have to be shaved slick to be  member here....post up give us your experiences when you finally start to shave.  Welcome to the site bro.
GOOD LUCK!

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 07:06:35 AM »
That's true, TimmJ.  I, too, went bald by choice,  although i was receeding a little, but I never had to face going bald and wonder what to do about it.  Its easy for us guys with hair to say 'go ahead and shave it' - we do still have a choice, after all.  I remember a mate I had who was bald, and he shaved right down, and when i did it too, he seemed pleased, but then said at the end, 'But at least you have a choice to grow it again: I'm stuck with it.'

I never saw it that way before.  It really is a life-changing decision to go sly for all of us, but coping with the ever-increasing baldness cannot be comprehended by those of us who choose to go bald.  It's easy to just say 'go shave it', but I dont feel I'm qualified enough to give my advise when I'm only bbc.

But, do what you feel is right, and it'll be right. O0

Offline Oto

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 08:06:55 AM »
Adam, you will look fantastic with a shaved head! If I were you, I would go for it.

Offline kojakJR

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 08:11:22 AM »
Hey Adam first and foremost welcome. I know where you are coming from bro, I am 23 years old and I started losing my hair at the age of 19. I didn't really do anything about it until it got worse at the age of 22. When you start losing your hair you begin to notice people around you, some doing the comb over some just letting it grow and I rarely saw guys shaving their head. Well I had told myself that when I lost my hair I would never try to keep it and that I would shave it all off. Honestly from the picture you have posted the shaved look will suit you bro. Try it out I know you will be satisfied by how it makes you feel both mentally and physically.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 08:33:42 AM »
welcome adam. wouldn't look bad at all on ya bro.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 08:38:40 AM »
Hi, Adam.  Welcome to the group. I think you look OK now, but if you were to shave off the fringe, it would be a dramatic improvement.  It would make you look at least 5 years younger and a tremendous boost to your confidence.  You're in a risk-free position.  If you don't like being completely shaved, within 3 days you can have the fringe back and look like you've got a short buzz-cut.  And within two weeks it will be back at the length shown in your photo.  But I'll bet that if you try it and give it at least 30 days, you'll love it and never want to go back.

You are only a few strokes of the razor away from a whole new you.  You know that you want to try it; otherwise you wouldn't have joined this group.  The worst that can happen is you spend a few weeks with a "haircut" you don't like.  Seems like a risk well worth taking to me. 

If you need further convincing, check out the photos in the Before & After Gallery.  I challenge you to find anyone who doesn't look better in their "After" photo.  One of the best examples I can think of is our member "Champ007".  Here's a link to his "Before" photo and his steps along the way to his current look:

Now check out his profile to see how he looks today:

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=645

Dramatic improvement, isn't it?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 08:42:44 AM by RazorX »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 08:49:23 AM »
Adam, first off welcome and glad you found this site. Lots of folks from different walks of life gives you a take on most any topic imaginable. Enough about that.....

Tyler hit it right on the head (no pun intended).....LIBERATION. Based on your story, that word would probably fit. I was comfortable with my MPB as was my wife. However, I have found complete relief from the terrible dandruff-type of skin condition I have when I keep it clean shaven. For that reason alone, I plan on keeping it sly for the rest of my life.

I would always wear a baseball hat if I were out in the sun for an extended period of time. Now, I just reach for the SPF and love to show off the dome. It's a liberating feeling to be free of the burden of hair (even if it's only in a horseshoe shape).

I think Paulie, Shy, Razor and others are right. The look would look good on you and the feeling you'll have about yourself will be one that many others have shared...........WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS A LONG TIME AGO???

Cheers,
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

JohnMont

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 11:20:21 AM »
hey man.   i agree with Razor X ....    give it a try (keep the goatee ) ...  You could also try going gradually shorter on teh fringe ....  #2, #1 ;;; # 0 ...    then when you finally take a razor to it; it will be a "non-event"  as far as the world at large is concerned.    There are many "journies" to slyness on this site, mine included.  Take a look; it will help convince you and build up the confidence to 'take the next' step ... which as razorX says is not irreversable -- within days you will look like your old self if you really don't like the shaved look.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 05:13:03 PM »
Welcome Adam, glad to have you with us.  Take the plunge bro, you can always grow it back, but as many of us have found, you probably won't want to.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 06:11:18 PM »
Welcome, Adam, Glad to have you with us.  I totally agree with everything that has been said.  I think you'll find that your best solution is just to shave it all off.  Do it gradually, if that helps.  But just do it!!!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

BALDANDRE

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 09:21:12 PM »
Welcome bro!

I say this with the utmost respect..

you're too young to look THAT old brutha! You owe it to yourself and life to try shaving your head clean dude...

trust all the dudes here..

You'll LOVE having a COMPLETELY slick bald head...BY YOUR CHOICE..it changes everything!