Author Topic: Chicken  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Glenr

• Sly Jr.
Chicken
« on: October 10, 2007, 03:01:31 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am increasing my intake of food and having between 6 and 7 meals a day. I am starting to work out hard. The question I have is this. Because in Australia chicken breast is quite expensive, can I instead buy a cooked whole chicken and take all the skin off it and use that instead of just the breast? A whole cooked chicken is about $6.50AU whereas a pack of two breasts is about $14.00AU So I can get two chickens for the price of two breasts. The fat content I would assume is more in the whole chicken but I would pull the skin off and just eat the breast and the leg meat.

Do you think the fat content would be to high or will it be ok?

What do you think?

Offline Jdogs Better Half

• Super Sly
Re: Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 03:13:52 AM »
Everything costs more in Australia...we get ripped!

If you only eat the breast the fat content would be ok, thigh has more fat (regardless of the skin). 

What if you buy chicken breast in bulk, we go once a month and get all our meat direct from the wholesalers - and freeze it - works out loads cheaper.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 03:18:03 AM »
That would probably work. But make sure they don't inject the chicken with flavored oils and butter before cooking it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 05:44:43 AM »
Hey Glen I find Coles meat a lot cheaper and better quality than Woolies but the wholesaler is totally the way to go mate! You can usually get 5-6 breasts for the price of 2 in the grocery store. Lennards are a chicken butcher that have good prices, not sure if they are in Perth though.

Offline Glenr

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 08:58:19 AM »
Yeah I think lennards is in Perth I will have to check them out. Thanks for that .

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:34:28 AM »
I cant believe you all are putting a price on BREAST!  Breast are Priceless....if they are a nice size that is... :D :D :D

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 10:36:50 AM »
Cheapest solution: raise your own! or better yet go veggie!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 10:55:30 AM »
If it's cheaper to buy a whole chicken GO FOR IT !!!  Chicken is one of the best sources of lean protein. 

Yeah, you can check to be sure it's not injected with unnatural junk, as Tyler mentioned.

It would be best to look for organic or "range free."  But if that gets you back into an expensive situation, go for the whole damn chicken any way you can get it, man.

If you're SUPER concerned about the added fat, yeah....avoiding the skin and darker meat helps. (and of course no breaded/fried stuff).

But if you're making the healthier choice by eating chicken as opposed to burgers & Fries, pizza, etc.......you've ALREADY dramatically reduced your fat intake.

When I have gone on fitness quests and changed from the "off season" fare of burgers, pizza and mexican food....to chicken......I eat the whole damn chicken....skin and all.....and have done just fine by getting away from junk food, working out and eating more lean proteins. O0
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:59:01 AM by Robmeister »

Enter your email address: