Author Topic: Not sure whether to shave my head or not  (Read 8256 times)

Offline rob94

• Learning the way of Sly
Not sure whether to shave my head or not
« on: January 18, 2020, 06:25:22 PM »
Hi, I'm 51 here. I've never shaved my head before, but thinking now I need a drastic change.

As most of my friends are either bald or shaved, I thought that's the way to go. I'm not sure if anyone has a view on whether to go for it, or I'm being stupid. I'm also not sure how much effort it would take to maintain the shaved look.

Attached is a present pic.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Not sure whether to shave my head or not
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 06:59:04 PM »
Why not? If you want to, give it a try, it'll always grow back. I had a full head of hair, not quite as thick as yours, and shaved it all to see what it was like. I loved it immediately!

Yes, to be honest, it will take some work. I like to shave everyday, so a little time is required. I have learned to really enjoy my daily routine.

Ok, now some pluses. Without the grey hair, you will probably look much younger. And while I love the bald look, the feel of a smooth bald head is awesome! There are so many advantages to wearing a shaved head. If you search some older posts, there is lots of info here. Good luck, Rob.

Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline rob94

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 04:42:25 AM »
Thanks for your helpful comments.

The main point I was actually wondering was whether it would make me look older. I'm only about 50% grey (not sure if you can tell that).

Offline leibows

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 07:15:10 AM »
First of all, congrats on your thick, wavy hair.
If you are really serious about this, I recommend to take one step at a time.
Get a shorter haircut, are you happy? Still curious, go fo a buzz cut. How about now?
Still serious, it’s SLY TIME.
Good Luck and keep the brotherhood informed on your decision with photos.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 10:56:39 AM »
If I had your head of hair I would never shave it. Will it make you look older , probably not older , but certainly different. Some people look good shaved , but not all . As has been said try a crew cut first, then go from there. If the grey hair bothers you , try coloring it. The grey in your hair makes you look more distinguished, in my opinion. If it was all grey then maybe try coloring. With the amount of hair you have maintaince would be a consideration for shaving.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:11:42 AM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline rob94

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 01:16:52 PM »
This is helpful. Can I ask why you say you would never shave it if you were me?

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 02:49:11 PM »
I’m 56 and still have petty much a full head of hair.  It’s been grey for years.  I have enough of a receding hairline that I keep mine buzzed to a number 2 in the winter and shave it bald in the summer.  I think I look younger with a shaved head because the grey hair is gone.  It takes some getting used to and to keep it bald requires daily shaving with a razor.  I enjoy the routine and like the way my head feels when it’s shaved bald.  Like some of the others have said, it’s a good idea to try a buzz cut first and then decide whether or not to shave the rest.  Good luck with your decision.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 03:22:54 PM »
If you have the itch to try shaved, you just as well do it.  It will take a daily shave to keep it smooth and stubble free.  I started shaving with the first sign of thinning, so I was shaving a relatively thick full head of hair.  Expect it to take you 20 minutes to shave at first, but with daily practice, the time it take will go way down.  Usually aft a month or two, most guys can shave in 5 minutes.  I do not know how long you spend styling your hair now, but in my case, shaving take me less time than the daily styling did prior to shaving, not to mention trips to the barber.

If after a trial (I suggest a 30 day trial) you do not like it, you can always grow back.  I instantly loved it the first time I shaved, but it does take most guys dome time to adjust.  So don't expect instant love of the sly look.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:27:29 AM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 06:28:42 PM »
This is helpful. Can I ask why you say you would never shave it if you were me?
The only reason I would not shave, is my preference if my hair looked that good not to be bald. But that’s me not you. You should follow your needs .

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 08:49:30 PM »
Shaving off all that hair could be fun and drastic change. I’d say find a St Baldricks event near you and shave it for charity and take it from there. It will be a good reason to shave and make you feel good about it. Otherwise try a crew cut first.  A crew cut is a little more stylized than a basic buzz cut. It’s though a bit shorter than Ivy League cut.

Offline rob94

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 04:25:24 AM »
I'll probably make the decision in the very near future, and I am thinking of taking the plunge (but weighing up all the comments and pros and cons).

One thing I was wondering, was if I repeatedly keep it sly for a fair amount of time, then want to turn the clock back, will it grow back exactly the same way as before, or does continual shaving mean it can change the texture/volume etc when it grows back?

Also, I wondered how long it would take to grow back, as I've never done a close shave or anything like that.

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 04:51:59 AM »
Everyone is different.  They say that hair grows at a rate of 1/2 inch per month.  Mine grows at least that fast.  I can feel heavy stubble one day after shaving.  My hair always grows back exactly the same as before. 

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 08:30:36 AM »
I'll probably make the decision in the very near future, and I am thinking of taking the plunge (but weighing up all the comments and pros and cons).

One thing I was wondering, was if I repeatedly keep it sly for a fair amount of time, then want to turn the clock back, will it grow back exactly the same way as before, or does continual shaving mean it can change the texture/volume etc when it grows back?

Also, I wondered how long it would take to grow back, as I've never done a close shave or anything like that.

Shaving changes nothing other than the length of the hair.  It will grow back exactly the same. Just the time to grow, and like said above, the average is 1/2 inch of growth per month.  Some guys grow much faster, some grow slower.
SlyBeard

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 10:32:06 AM »
+1 on all the above , the only thing is after a longer period of time , your hair may become more thinner and more grey. This is the normal, and not due to shaving.

Offline rob94

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 10:59:02 AM »
+1 on all the above , the only thing is after a longer period of time , your hair may become more thinner and more grey. This is the normal, and not due to shaving.

Is there a reason why it becomes more thinner and grey? I thought some of the others were saying it grows back the same as before,lol