Author Topic: Dry shaving with foil shaver  (Read 5193 times)

Offline jk7143

• Sly Guy in Training
Dry shaving with foil shaver
« on: November 13, 2019, 10:31:36 PM »
I just bought a  foil shaver. I got tired of using the safety razor, , etc. pretty much wet shaving. I needed something to knock out the shave quicker. Plus I was Getting a little tired of the shininess and razor burns from wet shaving. I decided to try the andis pro foil, and it still gave me razor burn. My head isn’t as shiny though, and I knocked the shave time way faster. Lol, do you guys have any tips on using this thing? I know everyone’s skin is different, but if you guys do use it, what is your guys routine? I like it, but I think I need to get used to it. I’m also going out of the country for a little vacation in a few months. I think this would be perfect for days I need to bang a quick shave. Thanks for your time guys.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:39:55 PM by jk7143 »

Offline JohnRa

• Sly Jr.
Re: Dry shaving with foil shaver
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 06:03:15 AM »
I use a foil shaver and I had razor burn initially until my scalp got used to it. I applied witch hazel to the dome after shaving and it does help.

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 08:05:18 AM »
I shave after I take a shower and I dont have any problems.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 08:36:00 PM »
Tried my Braun foil shaver a few times , but it was slower than a regular razor. The Pit Bull Gold from Skull Shaver was fast and easy , I could shave my head in less than 2 minutes.But had problems with durability.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 09:59:49 PM »
I usually apply Electric Shave cologne on my head before passing the foil shaver. It gives me a better result than just dry shaving with the foil shaver.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline jk7143

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 10:33:45 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen. I appreciate the replies. I shaved the noggin with the andis foil again this afternoon. Much better results. Prior to shaving, I took a hot shower*. Then went ahead and shaved. This time I took my time and did it gently. I think I might have added a little too much pressure the first time. Plus, I applied some talcum powder to make it a bit smoother. Got the tip off some barber video. I’m not sure if the powder damages the blades, or the shaver as a whole, in the long run. I’m definitely going to try out the pre electric shave solution/cologne when I get a chance. I had no idea this existed. I guess it’s worth a shot. I’ll do an update in a few when I find a better solution. Thanks again, guys!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:37:02 PM by jk7143 »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 06:50:26 AM »
I usually shave everyday, and the sides and back grow so flat, I used my Remington triple head foil shaved first. I use a pre shave lotion, Afta, with the green label. I get it at Wal-Mart for $2. I use the electric before I shower, then run the razor over my head in the shower.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 12:28:48 AM »
Thanks, gentlemen. I appreciate the replies. I shaved the noggin with the  foil again this afternoon. Much better results. Prior to shaving, I took a hot shower*. Then went ahead and shaved. This time I took my time and did it gently. I think I might have added a little too much pressure the first time. Plus, I applied some talcum powder to make it a bit smoother. Got the tip off some barber video. I’m not sure if the powder damages the blades, or the shaver as a whole, in the long run. I’m definitely going to try out the pre electric shave solution/cologne when I get a chance. I had no idea this existed. I guess it’s worth a shot. I’ll do an update in a few when I find a better solution. Thanks again, guys!
We barbers use powder with the Andis and the Wahl  foil shavers.  The powder dries the scalp so that the foil doesn’t stick to it, and the powder works like 1 million tiny little ball bearings to allow the foil to glide across the skin.   you get a much smoother and closer shave with the powder.

Offline Keith183

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »
I swear by the Braun's, top-of-the-line, Series 9. I've been dry shaving with it for about 4 years. My hair is very dark and has a shadow right after a blade shave; this is why I migrated to the Braun. It is the closest, fastest, and most robust electric shaver I've ever tried...and I've tried about 15 models over the years.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 02:05:47 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen. I appreciate the replies. I shaved the noggin with the  foil again this afternoon. Much better results. Prior to shaving, I took a hot shower*. Then went ahead and shaved. This time I took my time and did it gently. I think I might have added a little too much pressure the first time. Plus, I applied some talcum powder to make it a bit smoother. Got the tip off some barber video. I’m not sure if the powder damages the blades, or the shaver as a whole, in the long run. I’m definitely going to try out the pre electric shave solution/cologne when I get a chance. I had no idea this existed. I guess it’s worth a shot. I’ll do an update in a few when I find a better solution. Thanks again, guys!
We barbers use powder with the  and the   foil shavers.  The powder dries the scalp so that the foil doesn’t stick to it, and the powder works like 1 million tiny little ball bearings to allow the foil to glide across the skin.   you get a much smoother and closer shave with the powder.
good info!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 09:35:20 PM »
Recently purchased tha Braun series 5 . Found it did a good job as a head shaver. Takes me about 3 minutes to shave. Not as fast as the Pit Bull gold shaver, but it cuts closer.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 08:36:04 PM »
I swear by the 's, top-of-the-line, Series 9. I've been dry shaving with it for about 4 years. My hair is very dark and has a shadow right after a blade shave; this is why I migrated to the . It is the closest, fastest, and most robust  I've ever tried...and I've tried about 15 models over the years.

Wow Keith;  you sure did get a smooth clean shave for that photo!  Lookin’ good buddy!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 02:32:01 PM »
These are great reviews. Thanks. I’ve never thought about foil shaving on my own, but when I go to have the barber shave my head a foil shave feels amazing. The shop I go to starts out with a foil shave and then a razor shave. It’s like a mini massage.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 02:16:32 PM »
These are great reviews. Thanks. I’ve never thought about foil shaving on my own, but when I go to have the barber shave my head a foil shave feels amazing. The shop I go to starts out with a foil shave and then a razor shave. It’s like a mini massage.
love to hear how it works for ya, especially long term.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2021, 05:32:04 AM »
I've always had the best luck shaving with a foil shaver.  The rotaries just don't work for me.  I could add that my best shaves were done with my de but whenever I get a nick, I default to my braun 3.