Author Topic: New Member 2nd thoughts  (Read 2641 times)

Offline JimHLA

• Sly Guy in Training
New Member 2nd thoughts
« on: September 15, 2019, 05:03:35 PM »

New member here, I have wanted to go Sly for about 8 months. I asked my usual barber for a wet head shave but I ended up with a zero guard cut instead. The look was not quite how I imagined, is this a normal reaction? Is this why we have the 30 day rule? With gray hair is it better to lose the beard and go with a totally clean shave look?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: New Member 2nd thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 05:18:38 PM »
I think it looks good Jim. I didn't like the short buzz either, but loved it shaved. Keep the beard, it's a nice beard. You're so close now, you will regret not trying a shave at least once. You won't believe how awesome a shaved head feels! You have to try it shaved one time.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:23:34 AM »
the buzz is not one thing or the other, given how close it is you may as well shave and try it.  it will be back to where you are now in NO time at all, if you dont like the sly look.  You have had hair a long time so it does take time to adjust your own expectations as to what you look like.  keep the beard its great

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 12:11:16 PM »
A smoothed shave head feels soooo much better than a buzz, you will love it.  Looks better without the stubble as well.  Do it yourself, or find a barber that does straight razor head shaves if you want to be pampered.  And keep the beard, beards and shaved heads make a great combo, IMO.
SlyBeard

Offline leibows

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 08:57:40 AM »
Hey Jim

The buzz is ok but the SLY fits better. Definitely makes the look.
Like the beard. I would do a shorter trim on it.
Welcome to the Family.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »
Jim you look good shaved or a short hair cut . Leave the beard ,I cut mine and was sorry after. Yes it takes time to adjust to the shaved look . Give it a month then see how you fell.. Welcome to SBG .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 01:25:19 PM »
Looks great! I too recommend trying the razor head shave. If you don't like it, you'll be back to clipper shaved look in 3 days or so.   Keep the beard...it looks good with your head shaved.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »
Looks great! I too recommend trying the razor head shave. If you don't like it, you'll be back to clipper shaved look in 3 days or so.   Keep the beard...it looks good with your head shaved.
all that. Plus, try a pic w/ a little smile. That always looks good.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 10:44:35 AM »
Like the others have said, shave it down all the way. And yes, that is what the 30 days is for. Give it 30 days and then decide how you want to proceed.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Peteraba

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 07:03:17 AM »
Hi Jim. Everything these experienced guys are saying is spot on. I'm newly sly and will never go back. I shaved right down on Wednesday and shaved again this morning. The difference between a buzz and a full shave is a quantum leap in terms of how it looks and feels, and most importantly, how you'll feel. I kept my head buzzed for a few months a couple of years ago and just couldn't get used to it (see my introductory post). I had similar feelings when I had the stylist give me a number one the other day. The remaining hair, no matter how short, just didn't seem to blend with the genuinely bald areas at the front, on top and at the crown and I was conscious of a dark corona of hair that just doesn't work unless you have the recession pattern of Jason Strathan, which I don't,  or some of his other attributes! Essentially, for me, the buzz was OK but I think over time it would still have played into hair related insecurities and. anxieties. And so I shaved. I knew before I'd actually finished that it was a game changer for me. If only I could grow a beard like yours!