Author Topic: U.S and North American cell phone networks.  (Read 4130 times)

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
U.S and North American cell phone networks.
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:18:43 AM »
This may seem like a silly question.

When you sign up to a cell phone provider(Verizon,Cingular,Tmobile etc) are you issued with a SIM card that you can put in any cell phone handset or do the handsets set and configure automatically with the specific Provider?

In Australia ,you are given a SIM card by your provider that is encoded with your phone number and ,as long as the handset isnt locked to a specific network, you can use any handset you want.

I know in Europe it is the same.

Any info or feedback would be appreciated.

Jesse

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
Re: U.S and North American cell phone networks.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:23:38 AM »
For the record, I apologize for the topic title.What I meant to have it as was

North American Cell Phone Networks.

X The Hierophant

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 07:21:53 AM »
This may seem like a silly question.

When you sign up to a cell phone provider(Verizon,Cingular,Tmobile etc) are you issued with a SIM card that you can put in any cell phone handset or do the handsets set and configure automatically with the specific Provider?

In Australia ,you are given a SIM card by your provider that is encoded with your phone number and ,as long as the handset isnt locked to a specific network, you can use any handset you want.

I know in Europe it is the same.

Any info or feedback would be appreciated.

Jesse

Well, the problem I have come up against is that a SIM chip for T-Mobile, is not the same size as a SIM chip for Verizon.  So if you try and use a T-mobile chip in a phone configured for Verizon you will have a problem.  Not sure about the other providers, but I assume you would have the same problem.

Hope that helps...

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 07:25:38 AM »

Well, the problem I have come up against is that a SIM chip for T-Mobile, is not the same size as a SIM chip for Verizon.  So if you try and use a T-mobile chip in a phone configured for Verizon you will have a problem.  Not sure about the other providers, but I assume you would have the same problem.

Hope that helps...
[/quote]

It does thanks X.

Very interesting too. Because all of Australias 5 main Cellular providers,the SIM card is the same size

X The Hierophant

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 07:29:48 AM »

It does thanks X.

Very interesting too. Because all of Australias 5 main Cellular providers,the SIM card is the same size

Wish that were the case here in the US  :'(

I had a free phone (Verizon configured) but my SIM chip is T-Mobile ... so I am stuck with my old beat up cell for now...

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 07:31:30 AM »
I've always been with Cingular and the SIM card I've had has always been the same, even though I've used different makes of phones (Nokia & Samsung).

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

X The Hierophant

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 08:00:42 AM »
I've always been with Cingular and the SIM card I've had has always been the same, even though I've used different makes of phones (Nokia & Samsung).

Oh yeah, you can use different makes (Nokia/Samsung), but Nokia will make a phone configured for Verizon and a phone configured for T-Mobile.  The SIM chip slots will be different sizes depending on who they make it for.  So Nokia will make the same phone for different providers (I am assuming) with different SIM slot configurations.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 03:47:07 PM »
Where's Albert on this one? 

The problem is that all the phones here are locked.  I think there's actually a lawsuit here in CA to break that up.  But, if the phones were unlocked, they could use the same sim card, being that the phone took the same model of sim card.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 04:06:06 PM »
Where's Albert on this one? 

The problem is that all the phones here are locked.  I think there's actually a lawsuit here in CA to break that up.  But, if the phones were unlocked, they could use the same sim card, being that the phone took the same model of sim card.

I think it's the same in Kansas and Missouri.  I've never heard of being able to change but do know that phones won't transfer between carriers around here.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline the_sLiDe

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 05:47:11 PM »
if you buy an unlocked phone on ebay you can transfer your sim card... i did it and it works perfect... but then again i live in canada might make a difference? but i would think not...

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 11:20:03 PM »
if you buy an unlocked phone on ebay you can transfer your sim card... i did it and it works perfect... but then again i live in canada might make a difference? but i would think not...

you can do that here in the US also.

Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 03:50:42 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone,this has helped me better understand the N.American cellular networking ability.