Author Topic: Red spots and bumps, itching and pressure points.  (Read 7935 times)

Offline Mav

• Sly Guy in Training
Red spots and bumps, itching and pressure points.
« on: July 14, 2018, 05:13:48 AM »
 Hi folks,

Been lurking about on these forums for around a year now since taking the decision to shave my dome.

I suffered from a bald spot on my crown and had receded at the front badly that it joined up leaving what was effectively a small circle patch at the front. Needless to say I had lost confidence I was aware that I was trying so hard each day to make what I had left look appealing for other people's sakes rather than my own I even reported to using products like cabooki hair sprinkles to regain a bit of confidence.

I got sick of the daily comments even if they were in jest and decided I'd just go bald by choice rather than wait for nature to take its course.

I love being bald. My wife hates it. That causes problems but she's not going to stop me I feel more confident now and I love the smoothness.

My only issues are since I'm not completely bald naturally my hair does grow back quickly and I have to shave daily to keep the dark shadow at it's minimum. I'd love nothing more than a head all the same colour and never to shave again! Haha.

So I've played around with different razors and clippers and electric foils and rotarys. I found my fusion proglide awesome for speed and smoothness but it irritates my scalp and I end up with red sore spots everywhere (more prominent on the sides of the head above the ears the very front of the scalp and the back of the neck) so I switched to a merkur double edge safety razor after reading that more blades cause more friction and that could be he issue. (I have sensitive dry skin anyway and I've always had to moisturise with a cream that's for very dry skin otherwise my face cracks up like mad).

I found I had no improvement using the safety razor and it took so much longer to shave with. After more research I found that razors can lift and cut the hair but the lifting means that once it's cut its below the scalp level and the scalp can grow over it and when the hair grows back that causes the redness and itching and soreness as the hair follicle pushes back through the skin. I'd been recommended to use an electric foil razor to avoid irritation of the skin and hope that leads to less spots and bumps.

I've been using a Panasonic Arc5 wet and dry for about 6 months now and the redness has reduced massively, and as far as a electric shaver goes after the first day it's a smooth finish which I like but lasts all of 12 hours usually.
I still get these red spots but less in volume.

I have many skin coloured bumps all over my head now and I'm starting to get self conscious of them. They often become itchy and even as I type this I had a shave yesterday but today I can almost feel the spots and bumps appearing, it's like I can feel a pressure under my skin then over the next day a red spot or bump will appear where that pressure was.

Today I've just ordered the headblade sport and some witch hazel and some clearacil scrub.

My routine was / is:
Electric shaver either wet or dry no prep
I was finishing off with mositorising my scalp but have stopped this for the last 2 months as it always felt greasy during the day. It still feels like that but less so.

Wet shave:
Shower
Gillette Fusion sensitive gel
Fusion / merkur shave (against grain and with)
Rinse
Pat dry
No products anymore.

I'll try and get a picture of these bumps if it'll help but I'm just really looking to see if anyone's had similar or knows how to prevent this from happening.

Sorry for the long post folks I can ramble!

Keep it Sly!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:39:14 AM by Mav »

Offline Mav

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Red spots and bumps, itching and pressure points.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 05:37:34 AM »
These are the best shots I can get right now, minimal flare up but itchy as hell and visible bumps.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 05:43:25 AM »
Hi Mav, the only thing I might suggest is a cold water rinse after shaving. When I started shaving, I used a product called Bump Patrol for the first 6 months. Worked great.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:47:26 AM »
hi mav welcome.you have the same problem i had.i cant shave with a razor,i use a electric shaver every day.it might seem like a pain in the butt but its better than getting a bad scalp blemish.after i shave i use a product called yardley,its a pump and has a moisturizer in it.and then i use aveeno moisturiser after because i have a dry scalp,it may seem to be a little oily but not much and its better than blemishes.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »
Welcome Mav , if after trying a few of the members suggestions you still have the problem, I would say to try a dermatologist. They can often help when nothing else is working.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Mav

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 11:08:14 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses guys I've just bought some of that bump patrol stuff along with a few other bump products see if that helps if not I'll try the other products mentioned and keep results updated here.

Once again thanks guys, have a great weekend 😎

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »
just make sure you wash your head real good after you shave it.

Offline Mav

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 04:48:40 AM »
Washed my head 3 times yesterday and the pressure points have reduced in soreness. I've just taken delivery of the clearacil 5 in 1 pads as well as a scrub, some witch hazel and bump patrol and sea breeze.

I don't do things by halves haha!

I've electric shaved this morning, finished with a cold rinse then applied the bump patrol then some sea breeze and I'll take the pads with me today for later this afternoon.

Haven't used the with hazel yet.

I'll report back in a few days if there's any improvement.

Thanks again folks 🤘👍

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »
To me it sounds like overkill, sometimes less is best. But anyway good luck with the bumps .

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 04:33:59 PM »
One thing you should consider is to make sure your pillow cases are clean or that you aren't sweating too much at night.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Mav

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 03:19:53 AM »
Ok so I've been using clearacil daily since I last posted and I've kept up using bump patrol twice daily as well, I've used a bit of sea breeze once a day usually when I'm in straight from work.

I've started using a 3 blade headblade rather than a 5 blade fusion to reduce friction.

Clean pillows.

I think the redness is going away and the itching has gone completely. What do you guys think? Any improvement ?

Offline Mav

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 03:21:45 AM »
Looking at the last picture it seems not I'm just not sure how to get rid of these spots / bumps. Unless it'll take time that is?

Dermatologist seems likely.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 06:06:43 AM »
Try rubbing your head with an ice cube everyday
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 06:37:38 AM »
i think its time to see your doctor if its not getting any better or dont cut it as short to see if it gets better.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
It does seem a little better , you would know best. Give it a little more time and see if anymore improvement happens.