Author Topic: Newbie hello  (Read 3471 times)

Offline mrbalding

• Learning the way of Sly
Newbie hello
« on: April 11, 2018, 06:40:17 PM »
Hello!  My wife came across this site and said I should post a pic for feedback.  I am 38 with an ever increasing receding hairline...just a little thinning in the back.  It doesn't bother me much (and wife doesn't care either way) but I've never liked my hair all that much and now its even harder to make look decent, especially when shorter and I don't like long hair.  Attached is a recent photo with normal/longish length hair and another from a year ago or so when I buzzed it down pretty short.  Do you guys think I should hang on to what I have or just buzz it off?  I don't think I would ever want to razor shave, just no/low guard clippers probably.  (Does SLY stand for something related to shaving your head all the way?)  Anyway, thanks for reading!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Newbie hello
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:17:52 PM »
I'm not a fan of the buzzcut. Only one way to go from mrbalding to mrbadass. If you didn't like it, it will grow back to a shot buzzcut in a week. Nothing feels more awesome than a smooth shaved head.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline JohnRa

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 06:35:30 AM »
There are also good wet/dry electric razors out there if the thought of using a blade razor makes you nervous.

I agree with reddog, give it a shot! It'll grow back.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 03:10:47 PM »
hi . I am a barber.  IMHO a buzzcut on you actually ACCENTUATES how badly you have receded.  “sly” is a term for the “style” - Sly Bald Gus Re guys who, either by choice or because they are balding choose the shaved head as a great looking dtyle and carry themselves with confidence.

I truly think that you will look, and feel, great with a clean shaven head.  If the thought of razor shaving throws you, get yourself an Andis pro-foil lithium box razor.  we use them in the barber shop and they shave you as smooth as a baby’s bottom.  They only cost about $79 on line.  You don’t  have to shave every day, every other will suffice.  but if you go more than three days you will need to get out the clippers first.

Remember the 30 day rule!

Offline mrbalding

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 07:39:17 PM »
Do you guys think buzzing with no guard would be good?  I feel like razor would be a lot of work... I liked the buzz being able to just knock it down once a week.  I didn't think it looked great but felt nice with no long hair and was easy.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 12:52:30 AM »
sure, you can try it, but it won't look quite as good.  It will still call attention to how badly you have receded.  You will look as though you have "given up" as opposed to when yhou shave you look as though you have "taken charge"!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 04:54:13 PM »
Welcome
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline zlybaldguy

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 07:33:10 PM »
I'm  newbie. I'm Z.

I've been getting thin all over up top and feel like its time to get sly. I'm just worried because recently my skin seems to be more sensitive than usual after just getting my normal haircut. I've seen things about creams like....Magic Razorless Shave cream thats supposed to remove hair. That is intriguing because I won't feel the razor irritation.

Anybody have some suggestions for a noob? Somebody also told me if I catch a tan it will be better for shaving my bald head...I guess cuz the skin is a little tougher??? idk about all that...but....asking you experienced brethren...

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »
buzz with no guard would be perfect. good balance with your stubble beard, etc.

you'll be happy once you go this route. and any hair 'worries' will be DONE.

Enter your email address: