Author Topic: I found it! The new member forum area. So here goes lol  (Read 5058 times)

Offline iBloke.V1

• Learning the way of Sly
I found it! The new member forum area. So here goes lol
« on: March 30, 2018, 04:41:24 AM »
I’m a newbie. First post. I’m also an admin or moderator on some other personal interest sites so it took me a couple mins to find the introduction thread which wasn’t right at the top where I usually expected to find it.
No biggy. I’m here now so all good  O0

I’m a 56 y/o ugly bald bloke from Victoria Australia lol.

Signed up here after a week of research into new noggin shaving gear...which ultimately led me to buy a Headblade Moto starter kit from a local vendor.

Contents of this kit down here in Australia is a Moto+HB4 cartridge, 4 x HB4 cartridges, big bottle of HeadSlick, and small bottle of Matte Headlube. Decent price, but much more than I’ve ever invested in shave gear over the decades..

This has been my first change of noggin shaving product for over 25 years.

I watched many headshaving YouTube clips before purchase..some of which were from Slybaldguys, which were Very helpful by the way.

Anyway, I’ve had my first headblade shave with polarising results, so I’m here now to maybe find out what I could be doing wrong in relation to the longevity of HB4 blades, which is blunt and useless after my very first shave.

I’ll post this and go searching the forums for some more info.

Cheers, and beers  `Dr!n#

iBloke, and iBald

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
Re: I found it! The new member forum area. So here goes lol
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 07:51:18 AM »
welcome @iBloke.V1, looking forward to lots of interaction from you

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
Welcome! I have found when it comes to headshaving, the fewer the number of blades, the better. Less chance of irritation.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »
Welcome!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 02:41:38 PM »
Welcome from another Aussie, I'm from Canberra and have been shaven since 2004.  Love the look and  feel although on some chilly Canberra winter mornings a beanie is definitely required.
Roger

Offline iBloke.V1

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 02:52:24 AM »
Thanks All for your friendly welcomes  O0

And G’day Nuts, yeah I’ve been to Canberra a couple times and I agree with your cold mornings sentiments LOL

Cheers
iBloke, and iBald

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »
Welcome
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 06:06:32 PM »
Welcome @iBloke.V1  How many shaves have you made so far with the HB4s?  What did you shave with before?  How long do you go between shaves?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline iBloke.V1

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 05:24:32 AM »
Welcome @iBloke.V1  How many shaves have you made so far with the HB4s?  What did you shave with before?  How long do you go between shaves?
G’day Tyler :)

Firstly once again thanks for all the friendly welcomes :)

Edit: the following mentioned prices are in Australian $ just FYI

First HB4 lasted only one shave before being dulled beyond further use. I was Very disappointed about this at the time.
One shave/one blade = $4 AUS which I thought was pathetic!
This was the blade that came with my HB Moto starter kit.
The kit also included a pack of four HB4 blades.
I’m now using my second HB4 blade, which is the first from the supplied pack of four.
I’ve had my third shave with this blade now and it still has just enough “cut” or “edge” left for one more shave.. at a guess.
This is more acceptable than the 1 shave I got from the first HB4 blade attached to my new, and very expensive HB Moto.

Your next question Tyler: I shaved for decades using Schick extreme 3 which has a flexible head that I originally thought would work well on my bony noggin due to the flexibility of the blades...and it did! For decades!
But only up until about 6 months ago when the blades would go dull after one shave instead of the 3-4 ish I’d experienced prior.
(0.75 cents AU per blade)
My guess is schick changed the blade metallurgy because I went from 3-4 “nice-ish” shaves per blade, to the next purchased pack that each blade barely lasted one full shave..and even then it wasn’t as “close or smooth” as it had been in past decades..
Exact same shave gel. Exact same shave interval (2-3 times a week).

Researching a decent replacement regularly brought Headblade up in my search results.
HB Moto was the one I found the most consistently reviewed positive..so I bought one.
Edit: I have found my Moto to be incredibly easy to use on both my head, And face.
It’s also easy to use behind my ears which was always a tricky area to shave without nicks. (Zero nicks so far)
Contrary to several reviews I’ve personally had Zero problems with learning curve, and from my very first shaving stroke of the Moto it’s been a close to perfect head shaving product. Common sense finger placement. The ability to “feel” as I stroke with my thumb and pinky. Being able to apply perfect downwards pressure on the blade. Swapping from right to left hand quickly and fuss free (Although to be fair I’m ambidextrous).. And being able to simply use it on my face like a normal razor is a bonus extra.

Unfortunately in my relatively new experience whoever makes their HB4 blades have very lax manufacturing techniques proven by the original blade going uselessly blunt after one full shave, compared to the 3, hopefully 4 from my second HB4.

So jumping from paying 0.75 cents per blade to $4 per blade has been an incredibly big, and expensive, situation to swallow.

Third question from Tyler: 2-4 days between shaves depending on both my weekly situation, And how bad my shave rash/irritation is.
HB HeadSlick has been the first new shave lubricant I’ve used for decades. And it’s a mixed bag so far.
Seems to lubricate well. Feels great during shave. Smells wonderful. It’s great to allow me to see where I’ve shaved without all the froth and foam of my previous gel.
But appears to also be an irritant to my sensitive neck skin as my horribly red, spotty, and painful shaving rash is coming back after years of finally having reasonably clear skin.

The HB Headlube moisturiser in my kit is useless for me and I’d Never waste money on it in the future.
My skin feels tight, and a bit “burny” after applying it to shaved areas.
It soaks in Way more quickly than my previous moisturiser (Aloe Vera gel + pure vitamin E oil)
And leaves my facial skin dry and almost red even after 3 applications a day (I’ve exclusively used Only HB Headlube moisturiser since I got it to see what would happen, for research purposes).
And the red, dry, flaky skin on my cheeks and around my nose (non shaving areas but still require moisturiser) are ridiculously bad again.
So Headlube absolutely Doesn’t work as a general moisturiser for my skin at all.

In summary, I signed up here to research shaving, both face and head, and have read through a mountain of information which I’m Very grateful for.
Slybaldguys is a fantastic resource! THANK YOU!

But the end result has been it simply comes down to what works for a particular individual.
I’ve found some products of the Headblade company work for me, and some absolutely Don’t!
You mileage may vary.

I spent a lot of money I can’t afford as a crippled/disabled bloke.
I needed to try at the very least.
I may be crippled but I at least want to take some kind of pride in my personal appearance...it’s all I have left.

So really the only thing I can say is, Suck it and see...if you can afford the trial and error.
I can’t afford it.
But I spent my $$ trying.
I learnt a lesson...a couple.

Good luck All in your pursuit of the perfect shave.
I haven’t found mine yet..but I’m sure it’s out there.

Cheers n beers :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:04:09 AM by iBloke.V1 »
iBloke, and iBald

Offline iBloke.V1

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 06:10:41 AM »
Welcome @iBloke.V1...stuff..and etc..
Oops, I just realised you’re the Admin here and I’ve watched several of your YouTube clips over the past month while researching headshaving gear.
I did watch many, Many YouTube clips from You and a few others in my search but hadn’t realised this was your site.
But that’s a good thing, simply because yours were the clips I “liked” the most often.
Although there was one bloke, whom I won’t mention coz he was nearly always a bit of a dick, that I “disliked” regularly.

It’s funny, coz I thought your face was familiar but due to my old age/early Demetria I didn’t put 2 & 2 together.

I’m currently watching one of your YouTube clips now and it’s all coming back to me. You know how it is to get old and forgetful right? Your dear old Dad may be going through some of the same old brain farts I’m having...although hopefully Not.
iBloke, and iBald

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
Hey bloke, I'm glad you mentioned the Extreme 3 issue. I use them too, and noticed the same thing. They must have changed something. Try buying the women's version Extreme 3. They seem to be better, I get about 10 shaves from them.

As far as getting old and forgetful, I am much smarter since I started shaving my head. I think removing the hair has made it easier for thoughts to exit my head!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 12:16:35 AM »
I use a Gillette Sensor 3 from Big W.  Packet of 8 for $11.00 and I find they do a reasonable job and last for quite a number of shaves.

Roger
Roger

Offline iBloke.V1

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 11:59:47 PM »
Hey bloke, I'm glad you mentioned the Extreme 3 issue. I use them too, and noticed the same thing. They must have changed something. Try buying the women's version Extreme 3. They seem to be better, I get about 10 shaves from them.
G’day Red.
I’m glad it’s not just my imagination with the xtreme 3.
I’ll give the women’s version a try once I’ve used up my dwindling supplies of the blokes one.

I’ve also got half a dozen really crappy twin blade disposables in the cupboard to use up. They’re absolutely terrible and I barely get through one rough face shave before they’re blunt. I could bin ‘em but I don’t like wasting anything lol

As far as getting old and forgetful, I am much smarter since I started shaving my head. I think removing the hair has made it easier for thoughts to exit my head!
:*))

I use a Gillette Sensor 3 from Big W.  Packet of 8 for $11.00 and I find they do a reasonable job and last for quite a number of shaves.

Roger
Thanks Roger.
I’ll keep those in mind as well  O0
iBloke, and iBald

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »
Hey @iBloke.V1 I'm assuming you have pretty coarse hair given how quickly blades dull for you. I have a German buddy that has the same issue.

I use the Dorco Thin II blades on my Moto. You have to use the original adapter for the HeadBlade 3 blades, but I found the flexibility of their blade works best for me and I get about 7 shaves with them before I need to discard them. Using them or the Gillette Atra blades might be an option for you to get a better shave.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 11:13:20 PM »
I’m a newbie. First post. I’m also an admin or moderator on some other personal interest sites so it took me a couple mins to find the introduction thread which wasn’t right at the top where I usually expected to find it.
No biggy. I’m here now so all good  O0

I’m a 56 y/o ugly bald bloke from Victoria Australia lol.

Signed up here after a week of research into new noggin shaving gear...which ultimately led me to buy a Headblade Moto starter kit from a local vendor.

Contents of this kit down here in Australia is a Moto+HB4 cartridge, 4 x HB4 cartridges, big bottle of HeadSlick, and small bottle of Matte Headlube. Decent price, but much more than I’ve ever invested in shave gear over the decades..

This has been my first change of noggin shaving product for over 25 years.

I watched many headshaving YouTube clips before purchase..some of which were from Slybaldguys, which were Very helpful by the way.

Anyway, I’ve had my first headblade shave with polarising results, so I’m here now to maybe find out what I could be doing wrong in relation to the longevity of HB4 blades, which is blunt and useless after my very first shave.

I’ll post this and go searching the forums for some more info.

Cheers, and beers  `Dr!n#

Welco
me Bloke.  And if that is "ugly" tell me where to get in line!