Author Topic: Jumping into Safety Razor shaving!  (Read 9073 times)

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Jumping into Safety Razor shaving!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 02:41:30 AM »
After 6 years shaving my head I'm also going to try a DE razor.  I've bought myself a '61 Gillette Fat Boy off eBay. 

I don't think I've used a DE since about 1965 when I started shaving.  I'll report back after the first shave.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 05:36:18 AM »
Let me know how you like the fat boy, Red. I'm using the 1954 Gillette flair tip my dad gave me when I was 15. I hear alot of good things about fb.

Mike
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 06:05:40 AM »
Let me know how you like the fat boy, Red. I'm using the 1954 Gillette flair tip my dad gave me when I was 15. I hear alot of good things about fb.

Mike

Will do, Mike.  I doubt if I'll have it in hand until the weekend, earliest.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline TheHeadShaver

• Sly Guy in Training
    • The HeadShavers Club
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 04:21:34 PM »
Given the numerous requests and the fact that I tried a DE and loved it, our company has just switched from cartridges to DE Safety Razors.  Good to see the culture of Safety Razors growing.
The HeadShavers Club
Head Shaving products delivered monthly
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Head-Shavers-Club/307442616110881
Twitter: https://twitter.com/HeadShaversClub
"Because real men comb with a razor."

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »
After 6 years shaving my head I'm also going to try a DE razor.  I've bought myself a '61 Gillette Fat Boy off eBay. 

I don't think I've used a DE since about 1965 when I started shaving.  I'll report back after the first shave.

Red

That is great  to hear.  Kindly post pics of your Fatboy when you get it.  Also.... I would love for you to participate in the Safety Razor SOTD thread with pics.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline RockHiker85

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 12:55:11 PM »
I shaved for the first time with the green Proraso shave soap this morning and it made my whole experience 1000 times better! I love the smell of it, the feel of it, the feel of the blade on my skin. Wonderful stuff! It wasn't as easy to get a good lather as a cream but I'm working on it. Any suggestions on lathering soft shave soaps?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
I shaved for the first time with the green Proraso shave soap this morning and it made my whole experience 1000 times better! I love the smell of it, the feel of it, the feel of the blade on my skin. Wonderful stuff! It wasn't as easy to get a good lather as a cream but I'm working on it. Any suggestions on lathering soft shave soaps?

I would add a few drops of preshave oil....I usually put a few drops of Shave Secret in a scuttle before mixing my soap and brush inside the scuttle. There are many preshave oils, but Shave Secret is available for under $4 at walmart.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline RockHiker85

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 07:00:45 PM »
Thanks!! I love Shave Secret! I'll have to add a few drops to my lather bowl tomorrow.

Offline bald.metalhead

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 07:57:15 AM »

Given the numerous requests and the fact that I tried a DE and loved it, our company has just switched from cartridges to DE Safety Razors.  Good to see the culture of Safety Razors growing.

I'm thinking about joining that club, actually.
The razor and blades and all the stuff your company is now offering looks like high quality stuff.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »
I agree with you Geeman. I think using a shaving brush enhances the shaving experience.

I am still working on using a de razor. I guess I just need more practice. So far it hasn't felt as smooth when using it on the head as on the face. Hopefully it will come with time.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »
Joe, it took a while before I got a good shave using a DE razor. When I was learning, I used to have to finish up with a cartridge razor. Now that I have plenty of practice under my belt, my shaves are very smooth.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 04:53:38 AM »
Joe and Mike EP, I'm in the same boat.  Giving DE a try.  Not finding DE yet as smooth as the multi-blade cartridge, but I'm using the DE first to get used to it.  Only been a week, so that's really not a fair trial and the jury is still out.

Sir Harry, comment more on the scuttle, lathering and the oil.  Right now, I have my soap in a mug and build up the lather in the mug.  Would I put the shave secret into the mug? or into the lathered up brush?  Or are you saying that the scuttle is used in lieu of a mug?

I'm moving along carefully to avoid the nicks I've heard about associated with DE shaving. None so far.  I think that my head is looking more shiny than with the cartridge alone.  Maybe that's just bad memory.