Author Topic: will it get better?  (Read 2907 times)

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
will it get better?
« on: September 15, 2014, 08:06:36 PM »
I have just started shaving my head going on almost two weeks, and I still have quite a lot of irritation and bumps on the sides and back of my head. I have changed my routine based on the information found here.  I am just wondering if any of you guys started with the same problem and it eventually cleared up?  I can be patient,  but man it sucks to go out with my shiny new melon looking that way

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
Re: will it get better?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
Just go with the grain for several days.  Also if you can, lay off a day to give your skin a break.  I hardly ever go against the grain in the back because of the chance of obtaining nasty razor burn. Put cold water or rub an ice cube (Harry's idea) on your head immediately after shaving. Also put some astringent like witch hazel on and 100% pure aloe vera gel. The aloe vera gel is really good for burns.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »
It gets better! If I remember correctly, it took my scalp close to a month to adjust to being shaved.
Hair is over rated.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 05:52:04 AM »
Go to Wal-Mart and get some Bump Patrol, it really worked great for me when I started out.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:09:50 AM »
I'll add ... be really careful about applying pressure. Use the lightest touch you can until your scalp toughens a bit.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:22:55 AM »
I'll add ... be really careful about applying pressure. Use the lightest touch you can until your scalp toughens a bit.
[/q5uote]
Good idea! I do catch my self getting a bit too aggressive with the razor trying to get as smooth as possible. Thank you

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »
Go to Wal-Mart and get some Bump Patrol, it really worked great for me when I started out.
I will give that a try, do you think it would be helpful to use on days i dont shave also? I've cut back to shaving every few days

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 09:28:24 AM »
It gets better! If I remember correctly, it took my scalp close to a month to adjust to being shaved.

So there's hope for me yet O0 yay!
Thank you!

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 09:33:34 AM »
Good idea thanks, i have cut back to shaving every few day's and decided i will only go wtg for now even though it gets very tempting to go atg!, i had no thought of just going wtg on the back i just assumed there would be a noticable difference if i went atg on top.
Thank you

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:08:40 AM »
Staying away from full-on ATG passes has really helped for me, but it will likely take some experimenting to figure out what works for you.  Try to only change one thing at a time and give it at least a week before changing anything else. 

I switched to a double-edge safety razor, which has helped a huge amount.  I can shave ATG now if I want to, with minimal chances of razor bumps, although I still get more irritation doing so.  For me, the problem is folliculitis, not ingrowns. 

I have very coarse hair, hence very large, open follicles following my shaves.  I have to use alcohol-based aftershaves and occasional use of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid products to keep the bacteria from getting into my freshly shaven follicles.