Author Topic: Questions to switch to safety razor  (Read 8558 times)

Offline xivdef

• Sly Guy in Training
Questions to switch to safety razor
« on: August 27, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
Hello to all of you,

Has you can see I am new here. French Canadian, 33 years old, I am shaving my head a few times a week because of the alopecia. 

i have experimented various things for 3 month now, the results are good so far, i feel good about it.

Those are the items I use right now:

Mach 3 - 8 blades, each blade last 6 or 7 head shaves max  (+-27$) -> 108$ per year approx
Gillette shave gel 198g that will last maybe 1.5 month, (5$) --> 40$ per year approx
Unscented witch hazel --> 30$ per year approx.

TOTAL 178$,

===================

Now i wish to invest an initial amount of money (150$) into another system what will be more cost effective, hopefully. And I need to collect some advices about the following plan:

SAFETY RAZOR
Like a Merkur razor avalible at Amazon.ca this one looks like the most popular,
Merkur Model 180 Long Handled Safety Razor
(could be another similar product. )

BLADES
100 Gillette Silver Blue Double Edge Razor Blades Made in Russia (+-45$ shipped in my mailbox)

SHAVING SOAP
I don't know yet which one to choose.

AFTER SHAVE
I keep the Witch Hazel

==================

QUESTION #1
The blades Gillette Silver blue, do they fit into the Merkur 180 ? (or other similar Merkur product)

QUESTION#2

If 1 Mach 3 blade last 7 head shave, how many shave should I expect from 1 typical safety razor blade? (To shave my head)

QUESTION#3

Which shaving soap should I choose to get maximum lasting and lower cost? (Let's say i shave every 2 days) i will look for a cheap product to buy, that is avalible on Amazon.ca and unscented if possible or very light odour.

Thanks (:

Offline xivdef

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Questions to switch to safety razor
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:11:39 AM »
Waa 48 people came to see this post, quite a lot of activity here.  I guess I miss the common sense of reading before asking and insulted the intelligence of a few people.

;)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:36:28 AM »
First, welcome
Second, sorry you didn't get a quicker response, but the members who viewed your thread may not be DE shavers or maybe they just didn't know a decent answer to your question.

That said, all DE blades should fit in all DE razors. However, you may have to do some experimenting to find the right DE handle and razor combination. I usually get about ten shaves per blade by cleaning them after each use and soaking them in baby oil between uses. As far as shaving soaps, my favorites are the Razor  Rock series. Make sure you get a good shaving brush and pre shave oil to make a nice lather. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline xivdef

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »
Sir Harry  thanks for your advices and tips.

I'll go to some shops around, they have various models.. i'll try some of them on my head without a blade and see.. it's hard to figure out which one will do right now. But I wish to pay around 45$ + tax + shipping maximum for a first DR.

If you do 10 head shave per blade, then it's a real money saver, i am getting enthusiastic about this (:

Question about the Pre-shaving oil:

Just for the sake of argument, can I just use another kind of oil to improve the lather?  I saw a doctor the other day with a wax buildup problem into my ears, after the removal she told me to put vegetable oil drops into my ears to prevent further buildups.

If i can put cooking oil into my ear, is it possible to put a drop baby oil or even cooking oil for the lather?? it's 2.99 for 1 litre instead of 15$ for 10 ml for the "authentic pre-shaving oil"
 :XX

(Just checking, it could work fine)

-----

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »
Check Out Amazon for some bargains on DE razors. I know you're in Canada, but check into ordering a Micro One Touch Safety razor which goes for about $20. Shave Secret is an excellent pre shave oil that goes for $4 a bottle and you only need 5 drops mixed with your soap.

Offline xivdef

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:21:27 AM »
Hello

Thanks for those suggestions, but I still have 5 disposable Mach 3 blades to use, not ready yet to order but I keep those products in bookmark for now.

I would like to know more about the shaving soap, let's say i take your soap suggestion from beginning, the RazoRock Classic artisan shaving soap 125ml jar.  How long does a jar like that could last (approximately) if I shave my head 3 times a week ?

thanks

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »
Here are my frugal recommendations, which will still give a great shave once you've devoloped a little technique.

I've never used one but from what I've read the 180 is a decent beginner razor.  I started with the Feather Popular which is a good cost-effective option.

As far as blades, i highly recommend a small sampler to start with before committing to a bulk buy.  If you're going to drop $45 on GSBs, you should know you like them first.  I also wouldn't expect 10 shaves per blade.  It depends on your hair, skin, and how you shave (ATG passes will dull your edge faster).  Many of us only get 2 or 3 comfortable shaves per blade.  But still a huge cost saving over carts.

Willliams Mug Shaving Soap is a good cost-effective option.  Don't know about Canada, but many drugstores and grocery stores still carry it down here, so no shipping either.

I would recommend a nice Omega boar brush.  I bought my 10066 model for about $12 shipped and i really like it.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »
Well, xivdef,  I usually shave twice per week (sometimes three if I want to be smooth for something special) If you use the right amount each time (a small dollop) a tub can last as long as about 8-10 months. Some people can go as long as a full year. I got my tub of Razor Rock in October 2013, and I still have about 8 shaves worth left. I do alternate between Razor Rock and Head Slick so your mileage may vary. I don't get ten shaves on every blade, but if you soak them in the baby oil you should get more than three shaves

Offline xivdef

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 06:42:49 AM »
gwsmallwood ok it makes sense for the blades... if each blade is different then I should try various kind before. maybe buy my items progressively between the time I finish the Mach3 blades.

Thanks for the suggestions for the Williams and Omega brush.

Well now I am sure it's a great deal to switch to DE, the blade and soap / cream last long time and cost less, the razor itself is not really expensive too.

Ill start my progress with the cream / soap + the brush to see the difference with the standard Gillet gel can.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »
I'll weigh in here. But first, the basic vocabulary of Double edge shaving (DE). Razor is different from blade, Razors hold the blade.
Since you are a starter to the DE experience I recommend the following
1) start with a mild inexpensive razor such as the Microtouch one. After getting your technique down and you feel comfortable with DE shaving you can move on to a more advanced razor if you wish. Why start with a mild razor you ask? Because it's more forgiving especially for beginners.
2) get a DE blade sample pack to try different blades and determine which brand works best for you before investing in more of any brand.
3) get a badger brush such as one from simply beautiful.
4) go with Taylor of Oldbond street shaving cream.
5) if you don't have a spare bowl or mug, get an inexpensive shaving bowl.

Overall DE shaving is fun inexpensive and highly rewarding once you learn the basics for which there are several videos on YouTube (I recommend watching videos by Geofatboy and Mantic59).
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »
And any DE blade will work with any razor, which is nice to not be handcuffed to any particular blade.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 12:56:09 PM »
Sample packs are really good. Imagine spending a lump of money on one make of blades and then you get them and hate them! Get a sample pack first.

DE shaving has a lot to do with technique so look at the many videos on Youtube.

TOBS Shaving cream is awesome as is a good badger brush.

Offline notquitethere

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »
Good advice so far.

As to the oil.  Search the interweb for homemade shave oil. You can find some recipes that are olive oil based that seem pretty good.  I plan to try some when I run out of shave secret. 

I've tried proraso shave soap and have a couple of harder soaps that I haven't gotten into yet.  Mostly because after my first couple of shaves with the proraso I was really happy with the lather and conditioning and haven't felt like trying the others.

I am working my way through a pseudo sampler of blades. I think I got 5 blades each of 5 different models/brands. Have yet to find something that seems good from first to last shave. In restrospect I wish I would have gotten one of the multipacks of 25 different blades, one each. We'll see how it goes.

I would also recommend getting your DE setup before you are finished with your mach 3 razors.  It is a very different way of shaving and there is a learning curve.  Start with learning on your face while continuing to shave your head with the mach 3.  Once you are comfortable using a DE on your face, then move to your head.  I am still primarily using a headblade on my head because I haven't had the time to slowly figure out the are of DE on my scalp. Given the learning curve on my face, I fully expect it to take 2 or 3 times longer to shave my head with a DE until I can figure it out. Once I gain experience (months not days) I expect to be close to the same time, but with a closer shave so that it will balance out when considering weekly time spent.

A lot of people here will say it is a process and zen like to shave with a DE razor.  I don't necessarily disagree, but being a morning shaver I always have limited time to complete the process.

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 05:57:22 PM »
Figured I would chime in, so far you've got some good advise to go on.

Seeing as you're in Canada, take a look at italianbarber.com - he's a Canadian vendor so that should save for a couple of $$ in shipping (not to mention Joe is good people).  He will have everything you'll need to get your DE adventure started.

As to a cream or a soap, I would go cream - easier to lather (IMHO), something simple such as TOBS, Trufitt and Hill or even C.O. Bigelow

If you feel a need to use a preshave oil, I used baby oil for years before I started making my own.  Always worked well for me.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »
+1000 on Italianbarber.com
As you're in Canada the shipping costs will be low.  Really no reason you couldn't get everything you need from there.  He even has a bunch of kits which look good value. 

This would be a great starter razor, and it comes with 5 Lord blades.

Omega brushes, Proraso soaps or creams, all low priced, all excellent products.

You could even email the proprietor, Joe, and he will talk you through your wants and needs.  There are not many friendlier owners than him.

Enter your email address: