Author Topic: Just For Men Hair Color  (Read 14774 times)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Just For Men Hair Color
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »
I have used it in the past for the salt and pepper look.  Just use a small amount and brush in with the brush provided.  You will be basically brushing in streaks of the dye, the object is to not saturate the entire beard.  It is easy to add more later if not enough was used, so start small with it.
SlyBeard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 08:28:01 PM »
So I hadn't shaved for about a week until last night and decided to leave my beard grow for a while.  I'm starting to remember why I shaved it in the first place, too much grey.  I think it makes me look 10 years older with the grey in my beard.

A lot of that comes down to perception. While a grey beard is never going to be associated with youth, it doesn't necessarily make you look older.  If you grow a beard and it comes in grey, it can be a bit jarring -- and aging.   But you've worn a beard for a long time and it turns grey and then you shave it off -- you may find you look older without it because you may suddenly see the ravages of time on your face, which were previously hidden by the beard.

It can be difficult to adjust to a greying beard but as time goes by you eventually come to terms with the fact that even if you had your original color back, no one is going to mistake you for a 25-year-old.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:30:05 PM by Razor X »

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »
I'm keeping the grey.  Just was curious as to the use of it, hence my original post.  Funny enough, lately, I've been getting compliments on the grey in my beard.  One girl said it looked sexy, another said it suits me, and another said it makes me look distinguished.  So as long as the positive feedback keep coming, it's staying! 
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 06:52:03 PM »
I like the gray in my beard. It think it adds something - makes it more noticeable or interesting.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline PabloSanDiego

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 07:22:51 PM »
Doc and Mike, it looks like you guys have that "touch of gray" look that I want to get, if your photos are still recent.  My goatee is mostly gray, very gray in the middle with some color left on the outsides.  I think it looks patchy and just too gray.  I'm thinking of giving the JFM a try to get a more even color with maybe 20% gray or something like that, if it's even possible to control the coloring which sounds difficult.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »
Doc and Mike, it looks like you guys have that "touch of gray" look that I want to get, if your photos are still recent.  My goatee is mostly gray, very gray in the middle with some color left on the outsides.  I think it looks patchy and just too gray.  I'm thinking of giving the JFM a try to get a more even color with maybe 20% gray or something like that, if it's even possible to control the coloring which sounds difficult.

Yeah, mine is a small but noticeable amount of gray in the chin area, but I like yours. I'd leave it!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
Pablo, my photo is very recent.

Give it a shot, got nothing to lose. Seems like there's some good advice here on how to do it so it looks natural, a shade lighter than your normal color and just use enough to shade in the areas you want.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »
I don't wanna sound hypocrital by telling you to try it while I decide not to. For me it just boils down to not wanting to go through the hassle of the upkeep.   

Offline PabloSanDiego

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »
Yeah, mine is a small but noticeable amount of gray in the chin area, but I like yours. I'd leave it!

I just saw that my profile photo shows my patchiness pretty well.  Dark on the sides and gray in the middle (under my nose and on the chin).  Not a look I like, it looks like I only colored the sides.

I think I'll give it a shot.  I can see my wife rolling her eyes and wondering what I'm doing now as she isn't even used to the shaved head yet!  

Offline PabloSanDiego

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 07:39:52 PM »
I don't wanna sound hypocrital by telling you to try it while I decide not to. For me it just boils down to not wanting to go through the hassle of the upkeep.   

no worries at all Doc.  I hear you on the upkeep part.  Already the head shaving is adding 20 minutes to my morning getting ready.  I still haven't figured out a routine that works.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
Re:
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 07:56:38 PM »
You will. It took me about 3 weeks to get a routine down and then I just changed it up again a couple of weeks ago. I went from shaving every other day in front of the mirror to shaving by feel in the shower every day. So far shower shaving has been working well and has been much faster. Just give it time, you'll get there.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 09:59:21 PM »

I just saw that my profile photo shows my patchiness pretty well.  Dark on the sides and gray in the middle (under my nose and on the chin).  Not a look I like, it looks like I only colored the sides.

I don't think it looks patchy at all in your avatar.  And I am no stranger to patchiness since I see it in the mirror every day.

Offline restless bald guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Be bald and proud
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »
There a lot of good  advice out  here .I think what works for someone may not work for others.My self I have a lot of grey in my beard
and that is the way it's staying.I just don't want hassle of the up keep.It has taken me this long to get this grey I'm keeping it.Lots of luck to those who are trying to change the beard color.I hope it go's well for you.

Offline PabloSanDiego

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »
I was all set to give it a try and I read all sorts of posts about guys who have tried it recently and have had all sorts of bad reactions to the chemicals.  There were enough posts to make me reconsider trying it.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
Re:
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 01:24:57 PM »
That's another reason why I'm weary about trying it. Don't need any reactions on the face.