Author Topic: Just For Men Hair Color  (Read 14773 times)

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
Just For Men Hair Color
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:00:28 AM »
Anyone use or try Just for Men on their beard?  Don't get me wrong, I've accepted the fact that my beard has grays, but every now and again I get the urge to try and color it, but just don't know if I want to go through the hassle.  I have a couple of friends who have tried it and it seems to look natural, but I'm still not convinced.

Who's tried it?  What's the upkeep and time commitment?

My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Just For Men Hair Color
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
DOC,

I color my beard and I have used JFM, but I now find that other products work better for me.  Since my beard is longer and almost totally gray, there just is not enough product in the JFM to color my beard.  It looks like with the few grays you have, JFM may be for you if you decide to try.  I suggest you start with a color lighter than your natural color, and just apply to the grays.  Since you control how much product you use with JFM, you could try on one small gray area before trying to get all the grays.  Since you are not totally gray, it would be easy for you to stop anytime you wanted.  Being totally gray, if I stopped, I would end up with a weird looking gray underneath a dark beard, so I would likely have to shave and start over.  Good luck.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 01:23:04 PM »
I haven't tried JFM because of the upkeep, but out of curiosity, I tried some of that cheap spray color you use at Halloween. I think it looked pretty cool!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:35:24 PM by reddog »
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 03:45:57 PM »
I haven't tried JFM because of the upkeep, but out of curiosity, I tries some of that cheap spray color you use at Halloween. I think it looked pretty cool!

I can't imagine why you woul dever want to dye that awesome white goat of yours!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:46:41 PM »
Anyone use or try Just for Men on their beard?  Don't get me wrong, I've accepted the fact that my beard has grays, but every now and again I get the urge to try and color it, but just don't know if I want to go through the hassle.  I have a couple of friends who have tried it and it seems to look natural, but I'm still not convinced.

Who's tried it?  What's the upkeep and time commitment?

Wear your greys with pride my Friend.... like most of us that have them... I'm sure you earned them.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »
Yessir Reddog, that is a pretty awesome white goatee!

Mike, don't get me wrong I've accepted the greyness in my beard.  I think it adds character, and it definitely has been earned! But as with anything, we get antsy every now and again to change things up.  I can't grow my beard long like some of the others, and thus the only thing I can think of to change the look would be to color it for a spell.  But again, not really up on the upkeep.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 09:47:56 AM »
I haven't tried JFM because of the upkeep, but out of curiosity, I tries some of that cheap spray color you use at Halloween. I think it looked pretty cool!

I can't imagine why you woul dever want to dye that awesome white goat of yours!!!

I totally agree with this, your goat looks great as is.  O0

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »
Thanks guys, the color just washed out with soap. I only kept it black for about 30 minutes.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »
I've used JFM a few times to color in parts of my facial hair that are still growing in. I have a few greys but not that many.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:52:16 AM »
It works well enough for me, but with my goatee being so long and kept rolled up most of the time there ends up being very few moments in time when it is unleashed and where I want to be bothered coloring it.  It works, but the color just doesn't last long enough.  It is definitely true that you should not keep the dye on very long because after about 4 minutes it just starts turning it black even when I use the light brown color.  I think it is a chemical reaction that continues on for up to an hour or so after it has been washed out.

Once it does go gray I'd like to try out different colors just to see what I would look like as a blonde or ginger. 
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 07:54:28 AM »
I have dark hair, I've found that if using JFM to get a natural looking color it's best to pick a dye that's a bit lighter than my hair color such as medium brown.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline matt548

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 11:06:34 PM »
I've been using JFM for about ten years now - not because its grey but because it grows in multiple colors (hairs are brown, blonde, red, black) and I think it looks better as one set color. It has some greys in it now but I still use the jfm because of the multi color thing (I also think it makes it look thicker)

I use it every other week (depending on when I trim the beard) its easy and not too expensive.  One box lasts about a month

some advice - try going with a shade lighter than you would expect. I have natural brown hair. I tried the drak brown and it was way too dark. The medium brown is okay. The best one for me is the light brown

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »
So I hadn't shaved for about a week until last night and decided to leave my beard grow for a while.  I'm starting to remember why I shaved it in the first place, too much grey.  I think it makes me look 10 years older with the grey in my beard.  I've used JFM in the past, but was a lot of upkeep.  Not sure what I am going to do this time around, but I'll make that decision when my beard gets longer.

Offline PabloSanDiego

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 10:28:25 AM »
I've considered using JFM for my goatee also.  After shaving off the mostly gray horseshoe I'm thinking of trying it out and seeing how it looks.  My beard is mostly gray, and if was possible to get some sort of natural salt and pepper type look I think that would look good.  What I'm afraid of is a really fake, unnatural look.  A friend of mine (also sly) did his goatee in JFM and it looked like he used black shoe shine, it looked unnaturally black.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »
My partner uses JFM on his goatee now and again. The trick is to use it sparingly and don't leave it on too long. That way, the natural variation in the colors of the hair is retained for the most part.

What makes things look fake is if all the hairs are the same color. That just doesn't happen in nature, and is a sure sign of a bad dye job, or a bad wig.