Author Topic: Backpacking/Hiking  (Read 5535 times)

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
Backpacking/Hiking
« on: July 15, 2007, 03:23:27 PM »
This is a pick-up post from PBurke and my discussion of backpacking equipment.  So, like the title says, post about your backpacking/hiking adventures and equipment.

As I told PBurke, I use an Outdoor Products internal frame 3500 cu. in. that I got at Wally World for $30.  Actually, most of my stuff came from Wally World or Target, since I like to go on the cheap.  I do have an Adventure Medical Kits Thermolite Bivvy 2.0 that weighs in at <7 oz.  and Outdoor Research Gaiters that I wear with my sneaks ;D.   

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Backpacking/Hiking
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 03:37:15 PM »
when i lived in the mountains i had alot of stuff. pack was a LOWE contour IV. tent and sleeping bag were both THE NORTH FACE. hiking boots were ASOLO. etc. etc. only thing i still have is my stove. a whisperlite. but not the international. never planned on leaving the us. would love to get back into hiking/backpacking but there ain't much of that around here in the swamp. as far as trips, in high school I took a class called wilderness experience. we summitted the highest mt in colorado in the winter. and spent a week in utah around moab. was un real. would love to do a trip like that again now.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 04:09:53 PM »
I'm lucky as I live near the Dolomits Mountains, so I try to hike there as often as I can.
Here's a pic from today hike in Tofane (near Cortina d'Ampezzo)

Bye
Francesco

P.S.: just noticed that in this pic I do look like Sultan PBurke  ;D
maybe the mirror shades???
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 04:38:31 PM by zetaeffe »

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 04:12:13 PM »
Another bald hiker pic  O0

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 04:38:53 PM »
holy crap. those are sweet. i am jealous.

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 04:48:17 PM »
two weeks ago...

More pics at http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/6876/
(needs to be updated....)

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 08:21:22 PM »
i always had a habit of overpacking. like filling my pack for a weekend trip. my pack expanded was like 5000 cubic cm. i put it on the scale for a two night trip once and it was like 65-70 pounds. way too much crap. if i ever start backpacking a gain i will get a small pack. not just an expedition pack and use it for short trips. you guys ever do stuff like that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:55:15 AM by PBurke »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 12:04:14 AM »
Those are awesome pics!! 

I don't do enough hiking.  It's pretty much limited to once a year when we hike into camp for hunting.  That's usually on the continental divide separating Montana from Idaho.  Just outside of West Yellowstone.  I'll try to find a couple pics to post up.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline RC The Uncola

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 07:48:21 AM »
I guess i could say i usually underpack.  backpack full of water, maybe a hoodie or something.  but then again ive never been gone for more than an hour or two worth of hiking ya know?

Hiking is awesome, especially when you get to a peak and can just take in everything. 

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 06:28:50 PM »
PBurke, I think you could benefit from reading Steve Gillman's book, "Ultralight Backpacking Secrets."  His approach is much less elitist than I've found Ray Jardine's to be (apologies to his sly-guy disciples).  You can get it here:

http://www.the-ultralight-site.com/index.html

I don't use all the ideas, but it definitely gave me ideas and a jumping off point to do some research, which led to the way I pack now.  My pre-food/water pack weight is ~10lbs.  I could do a weekend with 15.  That makes for a MUCH more enjoyable trip, if done right. 

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 07:15:05 PM »
i will check it out. going by books a million thurs. maybe we need to get a sly back packing trip together.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 07:20:53 PM »
Backpacked and hiked for an entire summer through South Africa and Tanzania culminating in the five day hike up Mt. Kilimanjaro.   One of the greatest times of my life that I would definitely like to do again.  Will post pics when I get back home. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 07:45:01 PM »
i would love to do the highest point on each continent. did the two highest in Co. wanna go for denali before i get too old.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 07:46:09 PM »
i would love to do the highest point on each continent. did the two highest in Co. wanna go for denali before i get too old.

Case you didn't notice bro..you're already there. ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:47:50 PM by Paul »
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 07:52:58 PM »

Case you didn't notice bro..you're already there. ;D

doubt it POPS. sounds like a challenge to me? who's up? we pick a trip (4-7) days and go. what do you guys think? maybe an idea. not really a convention. just a group of us go on some sort of adventure. guys trip. c'mon laydees