Author Topic: What kind of clippers should I be buying  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
What kind of clippers should I be buying
« on: September 29, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »
I'm brand new on SBG and am just learning my way around.  This question may have been addressed, but I'm not sure the best way to know.

Anyway, I'm using a cheap clipper and I'm ready to upgrade to something better.  I'm not looking for a completely bald look; I don't want the maintenance.  I want to shave maybe once a week and I like to keep my head with the appearance of just a shadow.  Anyone have a suggestion for a decent clippers?

Thanks.

Mike E.

Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What kind of clippers should I be buying
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 03:31:32 PM »
Headblade makes a clippers that would probably suit your needs. But honestly, I tried the approach you are describing and found that it is much easier to just shave with a blade every 3 or 4 days. You'll only be slick bald for 10 or 12 hours and if you shave when you get home from work in the evening, you'll have a hint of stubble by morning.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the Headblade.  I shaved all the way down a few times and liked it but someone commented that my head looked blue from my veins.  I'm a little self conscious about how white my head is!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
Looks good, Mike.  Welcome to the forum.  I can't help with the clippers because I used to buzz mine with a cheap one too, before shaving, and never upgraded.

Here is a link that Tyler re-posted on another thread about this topic:

http://www2.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=16794.0
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:19:56 PM by slymyke »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »
There is nobody paler than I am. It does take a while for your skin tone to even out but eventually it will.  I found clippering my hair to be a huge inconvenience. It made a mess in the bathroom and I was always missing spots no matter how careful I tried to be. I'm not trying to talk you out of using clippers but don't rule out shaving based on a comment rom someone who was probably talking out of his/her ass. Experiment a bit and find the method that works best for you.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Welcome, Mike! I have two sets of the Andis clippers (one regular, one t-outliner). They cut pretty close without a razor shave and give the appearance of being smooth even if you are not smooth. I used them when I had stitiches/surgery on my noggin several months back. They cost on average about $50 but I have had one for three years and the other for two. They're also great for shaping up facial hair...Good luck and enjoy the forum!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »
Wahl makes a set of clippers called the Wahl Balding Clippers that I use whenever I get the lazies.

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 03:38:55 PM »
I can't really help as the clippers I bought were in the UK but I will say I have bought expensive and cheap and they both did the same job. Actually I agree with Razor X I had more of an issue with evenness and missed bits with clippers than I ever do with a razor :)

Enter your email address: