Author Topic: How to start shaving daily?  (Read 9434 times)

Offline BuzzedandProud

• Learning the way of Sly
How to start shaving daily?
« on: September 28, 2013, 01:16:15 AM »
I have been shaving my head off and on for a little over a year and a half now. And more recently decided that I want to keep it shaved all the time, and since I hate the velcro feeling that you get after a day or two, I want to shave my head daily. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to shave in the shower, going with the grain, everday. Would this keep my head smooth all the time? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:10:10 AM »
I shave every day, during the week, straight after a good hot shower, use a shaving oil before you Lather up, really helps with irritation, I go wtg xtg (across) then atg...cold rinse, ice cube rub, witch hazel and aloe vera, remember, your head is more sensitive than your face, so not too much pressure

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: How to start shaving daily?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:54:48 AM »
I shave daily, in the shower.  I shave ATG and by feel go back over places missed.  I have a few difficult spots that I have to go over in several directions to get smooth.  I use a few drops of Shave Secret and Head Slick, with a Personna M5 razor.  Remember to take it easy at first to get an idea of how sensitive your head is and how it will react to daily shaving.  It may take a few days to adjust to daily shaving.  Most will get about 8 hours of smooth after a shave, some more, some less.  Some may shave twice a day on occasion if they really want to be smooth for a special event.
SlyBeard

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:09:07 AM »
Shaving with the grain is the least irritating for you scalp, but if you already have shaved a few times, you probably have a good idea of the how well wtg works for you. For me, it doesn't get me near to the smooth I want, so I have to shave against the grain and across it.

The pre-shave oil Geeman recommended really is a great thing to cut down on irritation. I use it every time. Getting your hair and scalp warm before you lather up will result in a closer shave with less stress for your skin. Some guys shave in the shower, but I just put my head under the hot water from the tap in my sink before I start.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline BuzzedandProud

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »
thank you for the advice, I shaved in the shower this morning. And it does feel smooth, but nowhere near what it would be if I went against the grain, But Iam not sure how much irritation I would get daily doing that.

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »
I'm lucky as I shave daily, sometimes twice and never get any irritation. Considering I don't use half the products some people do I must be lucky!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:56:20 PM by Slyest »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »
Buzzed and Proud....If I haven't welcomed you already, welcome aboard! When you shave against the grain, quick action can prevent irritation. When you finish shaving, rub your head with an ice cube and then splash on some witch hazel. Sea Breeze is another alternative if you want to invest a little more but doing this after shaving prevents irritation and bumps and has a nice, refreshing feeling after. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
Shave almost every day, in the shower, WTG then ATG.  Currently using a HB Shark and a Schick Hydro 3 for touchups and spots that never seem to come off.  I use Nivea Shave Gel for Sensitive Skin and Nivea After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin.  I'm not fond of the velcro feel, but I'd have to shave twice a day to not get any at all. 

Light pressure, the blades are sharp, let them do the work.  I'm pretty sure that all of us, at one time or another, have had that one patch that they pushed down on that turned from stubble to stubble with a razor burn and/or gash that they regretted.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
I shave at the sink after a hot shower to soften the hair, daily.  Head slick and shave secret as others do.

Wtg first, then atg.  Finish up with witch hazel and something to make it shine, like head lube glossy or aloemvera, or coconut oil?

Does not stay smoothie all day, but several hours are great.

Out dancing tonight, so late in the day shave today. (English country folk dance)

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 11:20:23 PM »
I basically do what all your other brothers herein do.  Just remember to take it easy, especially when starting to go ATG (which for me is the best way to get the desired smoothness I desire). I use a pre- shave hot/wet towel most days, or sometimes in the shower, or in the tub with my wife :@` Witch Hazel has been a daily shave staple since about month 1.  I also use a nice non alcohol based after shave like Nivea, Every Man Jack, Head Slick, Bald Guyz. A decent razor is a must (I use a Mach 3). Use to use Shave Secret and Head Lube... But now am enjoying the brush and Mama Bear soaps. Experiment, and if you get sore, take a day off or two. Welcome and good luck!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Oklahomabald

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »
I'm two weeks into shaving my head. I was doing it every other day but this week I've been doing it every day. It seems to be easier that way. I'm still in the learning process myself but this is what works for me. First shave wtg then a second time atg and that gets it really smooth. Afterwards I use Nivea post shave balm. Takes about 15-20 minutes.

Offline silk N SLYme

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 05:25:02 AM »
Shaving in the shower makes a huge difference for me. When I first started to want to shave everyday, I shaved with the grain for a couple weeks, so my head could get used to the blade touching it everyday. Then you can Start going atg.

I shower with hot hot water and massage the head then wash with cetiphil cleanser. I then exfoliate with apricot scrub, then rinse with hot!!! Water... apply shaving soap with a brush, then wtg, xtg then Atg. Followed by alum and rinse with cold. Once out the shower use witch hazel, let dry thenv moisturizer

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 06:26:25 AM »
That sounds like a lot of hot water. You must have solar water heat and a well (vs. electric heat and city water).

Sounds like a good routine.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 07:38:52 AM »
I shave one day with my Braun and the next with my Mach 3 (Waiting to buy a Merkur Progress as prefer DE shaving).

Good brush and lather is a must. Go wtg first, xtg then and then atg. Even then, i am still left with some stubbon patches! Plus, the stubble returns rather fast for me. Within a few hours it starts to creep back!

Currently use Bump Patrol.

Which 'Witch Hazel' do you guys recommend please? Link? Ta

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 08:25:05 AM »
Does everyone have this complicated regime?  I use cheap disposables and Barbasol and haven't had any problems

Enter your email address: