Author Topic: Smelly electric Shaver Cure?  (Read 21359 times)

Offline EN4CER

• Sly
Smelly electric Shaver Cure?
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »
My Panny wet and dry electric Shaver is starting to get really smelly and I wondered if anyone can recommend a good cleaning product or cure?

Many thanks

Enny

Growing Old Disgracefully - But Bald!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Smelly electric Shaver Cure?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »
What about Simple Green?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline EN4CER

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
Never heard of that stuff here in the UK, but just ordered some Braun blade cleaner, so hope that works. Thanks for posting  O0
Growing Old Disgracefully - But Bald!

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »
I seem to remember reading something somewhere about just soaking the blade assembly in rubbing alcohol?
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:04:43 AM »
It might be in the foil. I take mine apart about once every 2 weeks and soak it under running hot water, blasting it all as clean as possible, then let it dry with the foil still separate. Once it is bone dry, I put the foil back on. Maybe that might help?

I know my Braun has a specific cleaning fluid with it - which generally makes it smell when it's done!  ;D I am pretty sure it's alcohol based (it's probably rubbing alcohol with blue food coloring LOL).

Offline FoiledAgain

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »
After using the shaver and rinsing it, are you leaving the foil assembly off of the shaver so everything can dry out? You should never store it assembled when wet as this can lead to all kinds of molds and bacterial growth on the inside.

I recommend cleaning both the foil head and the cutters by soaking them in alcohol initially for at least an hour to kill whatever may be causing the smell. Use 70% Isopropyl alcohol; don't waste your vodka, although that will work as well if it is all you have in the house. After soaking, rinse thoroughly with water, reassemble and then run the razor under the faucet. While running the razor, rub a drop or two of liquid soap (any dish soap will work, but I like Dawn because it is better at dissolving grease and oils) on the foil and then rinse again under running water to wash off the soap. Remove the foil assembly and allow it to air dry while open. Prior to your next use, rub a drop or two of light mineral oil on the foil while running the shaver. You should repeat this entire process every month or so. Instead of light mineral oil, you can spray with Shaver Saver which is a silicone based spray shaver lubricant, but it costs more than light mineral oil. Don't use vegetable oil as it can go rancid.

Once cleaned, you can simply rinse after each use and let it air dry. Once per week, you may want to use a drop of liquid soap while rinsing, then air dry, and then apply a drop or two of light mineral oil to the foils while running the razor prior to shaving the first time after using the soap.

This should keep your shaver clean and well functioning. It will also preserve the life of your foils and cutters.

Happy shaving. :)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 01:13:49 AM »
On those occasions when I use my Panny I make a solution of Dawn Anti-Bacterial dish soap and HOT water and I immerse the head of the shaver in that. I turn the shaver on "cleaning speed" which sounds about 10 times faster than regular shaving speed and let it run while submerged until the shaver shuts itself off (about 20 seconds). Then I rinse the foil and blades separately under hot water and set them aside to dry. After the parts have air dried thoroughly I put it back together and it's ready to go.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.