Author Topic: A little bummed out, can't eat or sleep  (Read 8199 times)

Offline wayman

• Learning the way of Sly
A little bummed out, can't eat or sleep
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:54:40 AM »
I was wondering if anyone can give me a little advice. I have been thinning for about 7 years, but I have been using a concealer to hide my thin spots. Finally I decided to try a hairpiece called the "Virtual Reality" system. I had it placed on my head for a total of 6 days. During the 6 days it was very hot and uncomfortable. Not to mention that it was the wrong color and very very thick and unnatural looking. I complained to my wife for 6 days. I couldn't eat, sleep or concentrate at work. About 12 of my coworkers commented about it. They couldn't really figure out what I did, but they all seemed to think that it looked really weird. One coworker asked if I had hair plugs. After stressing out for 6 days I decided that the stress was just not good for my health. My wife, two kids and I went to the hair salon and I had my head shaved. Now I feel like I look even worse. Not including that I have to go back to work and face all of my coworkers with no hair. So I went from some hair, to a ton of hair and then absolutely no hair within a 6 day period. I shaved it close to the skin ,but not razor blade close. Everyone thought I had really thick hair, but now that I shaved it you can see my receding hair line and a bald circle at the back of my head. I'm going to be 39 soon and want to stay looking my best. Right now I feel like I have anxiety. My hands keep shaking and I feel like I have to vomit. Last night I only slept for about 3 hours. I really don't know what to do from here. I was thinking about calling off of work tomorrow.

Offline jdcsky

• Sly Jr.
Re: A little bummed out, can't eat or sleep
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:11:45 AM »
Please calm down. Hair does not determine who you are, just how you look. You are still the man you were days ago. Stand tall and be proud you took the step to cut it all off. Keep it short for a few days to let everyone get used to it then take a razor to it and become sly. It will be ok.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
Welcome to SBG !  You will find all sorts of good advice and friend guys and gals.

What happened to Honesty Is The Best Policy?  

Go to work on Monday with a razor shaved smooth head and when the "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HAIR" questions arise just say you tried fake hair and freaked out so "au natural" is only way to go.  Those jerks who keep nagging about that explanation, just rub your bald head and say "all comments just slide right off".  Good luck and put bald pride on your head and not bald thoughts inside your head !

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 10:31:05 AM »
My goodness,you act as if you have a terminal illness. It's only hair it will grow back.Wear a hat if you must,so you get a few remarks.It's not the end of the world.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
What happened to Honesty Is The Best Policy?  

+1, I most emphatically second that. Secondly:

!*u%e

Ya know, in the past it has been my habit to either chime in with the gang and rub peoples' backs when they're feeling insecure about their hairline or read the original post go vomit and move on without saying anything. But this time I think there is more at stake than some 39 year old man who's starting to lose his hair. Dude, you have 2 kids and a wife and they need a man in their lives, especially your kids. You have got to think about what kind of example you're setting for them. If you think it's good for them to see daddy get bulimic over a bald spot what can they expect from you if some really nasty defecation gets tossed into the air conditioning. I'm talking something like car wrecks or cancer or death and all that $h!t exists in great quantity in our everyday world. Every time you walk out your front door is a crap shoot. You might come home and you might not, same for anyone else that you love. So shave your head or wear a rug, whatever, just do it and get it over with and start walking upright.

And no, I'm not sorry. Buck up.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum! I think after Buddha's post nothing more needs to be said....Life is too short to let hair loss dominate it.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 11:11:30 AM »
Oh, and welcome to the forum. Don't let my bluntness turn you away. I really do mean well.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 11:30:33 AM »
Oh, and welcome to the forum. Don't let my bluntness turn you away. I really do mean well.

This forum has many warm-hearted members with years of experience and advice dealing with hair / less issues.

I remember one day my older Bro (who still has a full head of hair today) whining, and I do mean like a little girlie who lost her dolly, that the barber cut his hair too short. It was just a regular ivy league cut ... not even brutally buzzed ... and I got so fed up and confronted him with "What is your fracking problem?  You've got hair on top and I don't (he was 30 and I was 25 and slick bald on top).  Life is w-a-a-a-y-y-y too precious to waste worrying about a haircut. Take what is given and appreciate the scenery while going down the detour".  Dang ... I should of been a  newspaper Hairloss Columnist .... haha

Offline wayman

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice and input. Especially Buddha. It helps that someone is completely blunt. I am almost get up to 40 and should make my loved ones my primary concern. I guess I am so freaked out because I never thought in a million years that I would be bald. To tell you the truth I like not having to worry about concealer, glue, hairlines, rain, my head sweating under a rug etc. I'm having a little bit of an issue worrying about what others think. I know that I should not give a hoot, but deep down I do. Can some one tell me about how long it typically takes to get used to things and actually embrace that this will be the new me for the rest of my days? Thanks again everyone!

Offline jdcsky

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »
It is a mental aspect of accepting the baldness. The sooner you accept the look, the sooner you can move on with total confidence.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 12:15:13 PM »
Welcome to SBG.

Think of it as freedom from the tyranny of hair (and stuff like "hair systems" that fool no one).

How most people will react to you is cued off how you react to yourself. So hold your head up high, and the answer to the question "why" is simply "because I wanted to". No other justification is needed. Did they ask your opinion about their hair choices?

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 04:02:52 PM »
Welcome to SBG.  You've already received some excellent advice.

Although you still seem concerned about how you will be received in the workplace etc I think you have already deep down made the deicison so why not just do it.  No rugs (always obvious), glues etc just the real you.

Post a pic when done and hold you head up high as you will find you feel so much more confident,

As for how long it takes to get used to the new you I've been shaved for 9 years and I still am sometimes surprised when I pass a window or miss to think this is me.   
Roger

Offline wayman

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
Thanks again everyone! I have decided that I am going to take tomorrow off of work to take my kids to the water park. That is something that I was afraid to do in the past. Not including that if I get a little sun on my really white head I think that it might look a little better. You guys are all right! Having a good life with my children and wife should far out way hair on my head. I have attached a picture of my new look. You guys are very inspirational. I am not 100% cured, but I know that with a little time I will learn to embrace my appearance for what it is. Also, I have to admit that when I got ready for the day today I was able to shave off about 20 minutes of my usual time to get ready.  :)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
Thanks again everyone! I have decided that I am going to take tomorrow off of work to take my kids to the water park. That is something that I was afraid to do in the past. Not including that if I get a little sun on my really white head I think that it might look a little better. You guys are all right! Having a good life with my children and wife should far out way hair on my head. I have attached a picture of my new look. You guys are very inspirational. I am not 100% cured, but I know that with a little time I will learn to embrace my appearance for what it is. Also, I have to admit that when I got ready for the day today I was able to shave off about 20 minutes of my usual time to get ready.  :)

I think it looks great. And I think you'll find when you go back to work that a lot of people won't Eben comment -- and those that do will be overwhelmingly positive.

Offline jdcsky

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »
I also think it looks great. Have a good time with your children at the water park.

Enter your email address: