Author Topic: TOP DE RAZOR FOR HEAD SHAVING?  (Read 11094 times)

Offline frangi

• Sly Jr.
TOP DE RAZOR FOR HEAD SHAVING?
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:09:07 PM »
Looking to start using de razor,  which model should i buy for a first timer and type of blades

thanks

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: TOP DE RAZOR FOR HEAD SHAVING?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:31:39 PM »
Hi Frangi:  Glad that you are wanting to try a DE razor for head shaving.  All I gotta say is that there are many DE razors.  As far as choosing which razor. . . this is very subjective.  This is an excellent example of YMMV (your mileage may vary).  What one hates the other loves.

With all that said. . . you might want to go vintage and purchase a Gillette Super Speed.  You can get a good one on Ebay for  about $15.  Or you can purchase a modern razor and get a Edwin Jagger razor like the EJ89L.  You can get the EJ89L at reputable vendors such as WestCoastShaving, BullGooseShaving, LeeSafetyRazors, or The Italian Barber (in Canada).

I can talk about this all day so I am going to stop to try not to confuse you.  But I would go with a Gillette Super Speed or an EJ89L.

If you have any more questions... asks us or you can PM me.  Good luck and keep us posted.

WARHAWK O0
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 05:49:56 PM by Tyler »
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline frangi

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:36:38 PM »
hey warhawk, thanks for the reply, i was looking at the merkur progress adjustable with the long handle
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 05:50:36 PM by Tyler »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »
Hi Frangi:  Here you go, straight from the Italian Barber website.

http://www.italianbarber.com/edwin-jagger-double-edge-razor-de89l-lined-chrome-plated

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »
hey warhawk, thanks for the reply, i was looking at the merkur progress adjustable with the long handle
Hi Frangi:  I actually have the Merkur Progress (regular handle).  That is an excellent razor and you can adjust the settings for either a mild or aggressive shave.  I love how it shaves. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline frangi

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »
Hey Warhawk, so is it safe to go with the merkur, italian barber joe recommended the long handle over the short. also any tips for a first time user, what steps should i follow.

thanks again!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Re: TOP DE RAZOR FOR HEAD SHAVING?
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:46:38 PM »
Here is a pic of the Merkur Progress in one of my SOTD pics.  Also... our very own Bluebriz owns a Merkur Progress .  I hope he can chime in.

WARHAWK

Offline frangi

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 08:49:50 PM »
what blades do you recommend to get bbs, is long handle ok and how do you care for it

thanks

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 08:54:05 PM »
Hey Warhawk, so is it safe to go with the merkur, italian barber joe recommended the long handle over the short. also any tips for a first time user, what steps should i follow.

thanks again!

Hi Frangi:  I anticipate that you will like the Merkur Progress.  I prefer the regular handle because I can control it and have better handling compared to the long handle.  When I DE shave the face... it doesn't matter if it is a regular or the long handle but I just prefer the regular handle because I get better handling and control on my head shaves.  

Joe from the ItalianBarber DE shaves his face but he does not use a DE razor on his dome shaves.  Joe is a member of www.badgerandblade.com and he mentioned that he DE shaves his face but not the dome.  He actually uses a Gillette Guard which is a disposable cartridge razor.

For me. . . I would go with the regular handle.  Again... that is just me.  You can do what you want.

WARHAWK O0
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 05:51:25 PM by Tyler »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 08:59:56 PM »
Hi Frangi:  As far as blades. . . my favorite blades are the Astra SP, Polsilver Super Iridium, Gillette 7 o'clock Black, and Gillette Silver Blue.

As far as caring for it... after you shave with the Progress just do a cold water rinse and I would spray it with alcohol and let it air dry. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline frangi

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »
italian barber short handle out of stock, joe says the long handle the balance is better
have you tried the long handle?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »
italian barber short handle out of stock, joe says the long handle the balance is better
have you tried the long handle?
:*)) :*)) There is a reason why the regular handles are out of stock my friend. It is obviously the better razor. Again... Joe face shaves only with a DE razor but does NOT HEAD SHAVE with a DE razor.  He head shaves with a disposable.  Again... I am an experienced DE face and head shaver.  I get better shaves with the regular handles but that is just me. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »

Offline frangi

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »
he says he does not carry the short one because it does not sell, anyways west coast has them , would it be the same one?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »
he says he does not carry the short one because it does not sell, anyways west coast has them , would it be the same one?
I would go with Bull Goose Shaving.  Phil (the owner) is a true gentleman and he provides great service.

WARHAWK O0