Author Topic: New Guy (Yet to be Sly)  (Read 10094 times)

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
Re: New Guy (Yet to be Sly)
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 12:22:39 PM »
Me too... when I decided to go SLY it was all the way!   O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 12:33:23 PM »
Hey Out,

I just shaved my noggin for the first time yesterday morning and it is not bad.  My barber has been clipper shaving me for a while so I essentially look bald for half the week and it grows out into an extreme buzz by the weekend. 

I just joined myself and decided to take the plunge. It's a clean look and a good feel.  Welcome to the next great style and welcome.

Ken

Congrats KC - Liberating feeling isn't it?  Welcome to the Sly Fraternity
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

KC

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 08:10:57 PM »
Ken,

How long have you been buzzing your hair for?

This saturday i am going to buzz mine at number 1 or 2 i will decide on the day. I've let my hair grow a little lately, but am sick of it.

The first time i went to work with a number 2 i remember my boss saying "Did you just join the Marines?" I know he was saying it in jest. I got a few more like that that day.

I am blabbing now so i will say good night as it is midnight here and i need to go to bed.

Hey Out,

I have been buzzing my hair to a #1 or shorter for roughly 5 years when my hair started to thin.  Before that, when the hair was a little thicker, I had a short flat or a hi n tite-- the classic military "grunt" haircut. 

Regarding my military career, I'm former Coast Guard and my hair was very short for a Coastie but it suited my personality.  My former wife claimed that my personality dulled when my hair grew longer and encouraged me to remain well groomed.  BTW, she also thought I was certifiable and even though we are divorced, we have remained very close friends; even though we live on opposite ends of the country.  She was my college sweetheart and best friend, but I digress.

As a volunteer firefighter and medic, extremely buzzed hair is politically correct and in my day life as a defense contractor, it is not too far off the mark even if it is not the norm.  It is common knowledge that I am known for keeping my head closely buzzed/ shaved and most people feel I pull off the look well.

I have been debating shaving my head for some time.  Like anything else, it is a style.  Some guys look awesome, some look OK, some look better with a little hair.  As has been said in these forums before, it is your attitude in terms of how you pull off the look.  At least in the US, the shaved head is becoming more common place and depending on facial hair, level of fitness, etc, you display different images with the shaved style.  I still come across as a military grunt, but now look a little better groomed and cleaner with the head shaved.

I will probably shave the noggin 2-3 times a week.  It was fairly easy to take the plunge-- I clipper shaved the growth, lathered up and shaved it off with a Mach III nice and easily after a shower. 

Try it.  If you don't like what you see, it will grow back.

Best of luck,

Ken C

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2007, 09:35:36 PM »
Out, Welcome to the sly family.  Like you, I approached slyness gradually.  I buzzed my hair down over a period of 4-5 months, the last 2 of which I didn't use a guard at all.  Then, I just went sly one day & I love it.  I've gotten many compliments and before going sly people guessed I was in my mid-30's which was sort of frustrating since I'm only 28!  But now, no one can figure out how old I am!  SInce you sound apprehensive about going sly, I think gradual will work for you, but once you finally take that last step, I guarantee you'll be pleased with the results!  You've joined a great group of guys & gals and this site is full of advice so take some time and read through the forums!  Good luck on your sly journey O0

Offline outsider82

• Sly
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 06:34:35 AM »
Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. This saturday I will go down to a number 1 or 2 depending on how i feel at the time. Keep it like that for a while (a month or 2) then move down again. I will have to make sure i keep it a constant length as to get people used to the length. That also means i've got to purchase some clippers.

I think the single most annoying thing about the way my hair grows is the annoying uneven growth on the temples going backwards. It makes for the appearance of an uneven head shape, which i believe i dont have.

Tips on the beard length?

Thanks guys, keep up the great look :)

Out

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:37:16 AM by outsider82 »

BALDANDRE

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 08:41:35 AM »
Tips on the beard length?

Thanks guys, keep up the great look :)

Out

Ok, a very cool look is when the beard and hair are exactly the same length...for those of you that know the refernce, think "Speed Racer's Race Bannen"...if you're not slick and sly I say it's a pretty cool look...

but I say go for the #1 all over beard and face, it's closer to a slick shave, still some nice even stubble "hair style"..

Good luck dude!

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
I'm partial to the "Goat" myself.  I think it'd look good on you bro!   O:O

As for length, I'm with BALDANDRE.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:23:42 AM by Sgt. Pate »

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2007, 08:04:38 PM »
I suggest shaving it all off.  That's what I did.  I don't think you will regret it.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Beer Barron

• Super Sly
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2007, 10:03:32 AM »
Welcome outsider82.  I too gradually knocked the hair off.  Once I made the leap to fully sly, I never looked back.  Go for it!

Offline outsider82

• Sly
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2007, 06:48:58 AM »
Well Guys, its been a while since my last post, i would like to fill you in on what's been happening.

I have been having regular haircuts as to keep the length consistant. Hoping that people will be used to the length. My next trick is to go shorter to #1 all over. Leave that for a while.

I've noticed that the thinning is now ever so slightly turning into receeding on one side.

I've also got my beard shorter as to blend with the top. This picture better shows my head shape than the last one i posted.

Keep up the sly look

Out

BALDANDRE

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2007, 08:55:11 AM »
Well Guys, its been a while since my last post, i would like to fill you in on what's been happening.

I have been having regular haircuts as to keep the length consistant. Hoping that people will be used to the length. My next trick is to go shorter to #1 all over. Leave that for a while.

I've noticed that the thinning is now ever so slightly turning into receeding on one side.

I've also got my beard shorter as to blend with the top. This picture better shows my head shape than the last one i posted.

Keep up the sly look

Out

Yea. looks good bro...you'll totally dig going to the #1...it'll be much 'cleaner"....WAIT until you go totally SLY...now THAT'S clean!!!! O0

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 08:38:39 AM »
Hey outsider....I think you would look cool going all the way bro.  Here is my point of view.  I started out somewhat like yourself.  I was trimming it down to a #2 and then to a #1 as summer got closer.  I never really considered ever going all the way but one day I was tired when i woke up and i started to trim it down and i forgot to put the guard on.  Yelp you got it...I was like sh*t now what do I do ..i have this racing stripe down te middle of my head.  So i go all over with no guard.  I was sorta worried what people would think about it.  You know..guys can walk around with piercing in thier nose , lips, nipples and stuff liek that ...so why can we not walk out with confidence in a bald look.  When I first went out into the "PUBLIC"  i had a weak feeling in my stomache...but I just grabbed ahold of myself and said Hell with it..if htey dont like it..then dont talk or look at me.  I have been sly for about 2 months now and my wife never really said if she liked it or not but I finally got the question last weekend..When am I gonna grow my hair back?  I said never...and my oldest daughter stood up for me...she said Mom, Dad will be going bald naturally soon so just leave him alone...He looks good..my daughter is 13.  So at 37 years old...I dont worry about people thinking i have being going for chemo or anything like that..i have got nothing but good compliments on it...stuff like..well you have a good shaped head for it...
So Outsider....what I am saying is you are already down to a #1  so just go all the way and if you dont like it....in a what?  3 days...you will be back to a #1 again if you decide to grow it back out...but like what the others are saying...once you go sly you will love it man.  And be patient....the first two weeks of shaving it...it will seem like a pain because you have to let your head "SEASON"  after that ..shaving will be a breeze..you will get inot your routine...and what I have found to shave with works well for me...go get a HeadBlade.  Some like them..some dont, just make sure you get a good quality razor.  I wish you luck bro... and hey I will even pray for ya.
Welcome to the Slybald guys
Tim

Offline outsider82

• Sly
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 08:50:08 AM »
Hey Timmj,

Great post! I loved the story about your accidental #0. Did you razor it after you did that or just let it grow? Mines at #2 on top at the moment. These are my sticking points, 1. I wear glasses for distance so they're on all the time, i've got contacts but thats another story for later.  2. I tend to listen too much to what people think, 3. I dont want to put people off at work ( my boss said as a joke, did you go and join the SAS did you?) 4. The parents, my dad #0's his head as he has MPB (same trend as mine but later go figure! hehe).

I do know one thing, I am hooked on the sly thing even though i'm not there yet. Gone will be the days of checking the mirror for hair density :).

Out

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 09:19:16 AM »
Thanks Outsider...glad you enjoyed my ( at the time my misfortune) no actually i used the trimmer for about a week without a guard until one day my wife said she was tired of seeing my 5 o'clock shadow on my head and that I should just shave it all off.  So up to the shower I went and shaved it.  But I will have to tell you..the razor that I had and the shaving cream was really bad.  I had not found this site yet and I got on line to find ways to care for shaving your head bald.  I found this place ...discovered Headblade stuff ..rushed out to get them and have been enjoyin shaving ever since.  The headslick stuff that Headblade makes is awesome stuff.  Just take a leap of faith bro...and just try it...if you dotn like..you can alway go back..and you will still always be welcome here.

jusbnme

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 11:20:56 PM »
Welcome outsider82.  Post up if we can be of support and help with advice.

Enter your email address: