Author Topic: New here and TERRIFIED!!  (Read 10819 times)

Offline Hyperocker

• Sly Guy in Training
New here and TERRIFIED!!
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:19:52 PM »
Ok, so this subject probably happens on a daily basis and for that I apologise..........

So, I've got quite significant hairloss and things have progressed at a steady rate for about 4-5 years during which I've been using concealers and wearing caps, the usual techniques I suppose! So, having endured this for a number of years I can see the appeal of at least a buzz cut or full shave! No concealing, no worry, no hassle!

Ok, so, I'm booked to have this done on Saturday but I don't feel ready and I'm infact terrified! I think it'll smash my confidence, I'll be treated differently and I'll be a completely different guy! However, I've currently been away from work for a few weeks, and on Sunday I'm due to fly off literally around the world!! With work! Sweet I know! So this seems to be the perfect time to get it done! Get confident with it, get a tan on it all with people who I will have mostly just met! Return home in a few weeks with a new look that I'm hopefully comfortable and confident with!

Good plan?

Seems so....... So why the hell am I struggling so much with this?!?! I know as I get nearer to Saturday I'll be an absolute wreck!! Any words of wisdom, advice or help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

I know there are more important things going on everyday and really I'm very lucky but I'm sure you can all relate to the fact this is tough!

Anyway, hope to talk soon,

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
Re: New here and TERRIFIED!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »
Welcome aboard Hyperocker. All first times are always nerve wracking but with a lot of thrill. Dont stress about it too much. You have a good plan.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline dustin5338

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »
I was terrified at the beginning also. It is just an idea that you have to become comfortable with. It may take some time but once you have decided to go through with it you will become comfortable with it.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »
Relax. It's just a haircut.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 11:32:54 PM »
Take a deep breath and then go for it.  You will be amazed at the surge in confidence and the timing, being away for a few weeks, will allow you to get used to the new you and return to dazzle all your workmates and friends.
Roger

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:03:26 AM »
Welcome to the club.
Anything that's new and different can always be terrifying. But, like skybear said, it's just a haircut. If you you don't like it your hair will grow back. I'm willing to bet, though, you'll be fine and come to appreciate the new look. So will your family and friends. It's just a matter of adjusting to it.
Hair is over rated.

Offline sahil15

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:28:39 AM »
Trying something new can always be a bit scary but remember you are not alone... we are all here to support you... take the plunge and see what happens and if you don't like it then you can always grow back what you have.... best of luck

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:27:26 AM »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 03:20:27 AM »
Welcome! Are you going to do it yourself, or is a barber/someone else going to do this for you?
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 05:44:36 AM »
the short buzz or shaved look is quite common now.  relax and just enjoy.  your self confidence will increase

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Re: New here and TERRIFIED!!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 09:56:59 AM »
guarantee you'll wonder what all the fuss was about

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 02:45:43 PM »
+1 on what Geeman said. I was there one time. Now love being bald.

Offline Hyperocker

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome, and support! I'm hoping it goes as smoothly as you say, and my confidence stays relatively intact! I suppose what I'm really thinking about is people's reaction when I'm 'buzzed' and it's pretty clear I'm suddenly a lot balder than it has always appeared! I've let my hairline receed naturally it's just my crown has been covered by the concealer!! I've got my excuses but they're all pretty lame! Any thoughts on what I can say to the obvious impending questions?!?!?

Thanks guys, :-)

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »
Hi, HyperRocker!

Welcome to this forum, mate. You will find a lot of support & encouragement here.

When I first had my first full-on head shave I was very nervous, but the barber put me at ease by saying to me that If I didn't like it, it would only be a few weeks until I was back at my regular #2 buzz cut length. I must admit, despite being nervous at first, a kind of strange feeling of confidence began to rise within me as I realised I was taking control and making the decision to become a bald guy. I did have a little thinning going on but nothing major and so the choice to be a bald guy was entirely mines to make. It was a good choice.Enjoy the "trip" to becoming a cool bald guy.A bit of advice for you: instead of going for a buzz cut, just ask the barber to shave your head. You will be nervous, but you will become more confident also. weird how that happens, but it does. You will look back in weeks & months to come and wonder what all the worry & fear was about. All the best.
BaldBill

Offline NoPony

• Sly
    • James Barley Woodturner
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »
Any thoughts on what I can say to the obvious impending questions?!?!?
Just tell them what I did "you found the best solution ever to stop hair loss". :*))