Author Topic: When do you know it's time?  (Read 9289 times)

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
When do you know it's time?
« on: June 08, 2007, 09:59:29 AM »
Hello Guys, I am new to SBG,  finally was able to login.

I came across this site about 2-3 months ago, and from that day on I have pretty much
been coming on every day. It has really opened my eyes.
I cannot believe all the wonderful encouragement and friendly banter that goes on.

I am 43, and I'm going through what seems like typical mpb symptoms. I an not in denial
and not in the second stage, but I feel I am on the abyss.
This week I (finally) buzzed down to a 1 on the sides, blended into a 2 on top, and I love it!.
I am going to try a 1 all around when this starts to get sloppy. I have seen some posters who used an even lower setting. Can anyone help with this, I need all the encouragement they can muster.
Thanks,

Newyawka

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
Re: When do you know it's time?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:06:53 AM »
I have gone through 'phase two' and am now have pretty much no hair on top.  The MPB thing hit me quite hard at times as it has happened in my twenties, not an easy age i think, when you are looking for the right woman etc. 

However the one thing that i wish above everything else is that i had gone sly earlier.  I used to obsess about the speed my hair was going, the way it was going etc etc.  Now, I wont lie, i have the odd moment of hating it, but most of the time i am fine with the look.  Also any comments of your losing your hair have stopped.  I get the odd baldy comment from workmates but that is all in jest to which i inform them i can wear a hat whereas they would look ridiculous in a mask! 

My point however is that i have not yet read anyone post on this site saying that they regret shaving completely.  Lots of people with apprehensions before hand, but not a single person who has come back and said what a mistake.  That must tell you something. 

You sound pretty cool with the whole thing so sounds like the best way to go is to take it down slowly when you think you need to.  The minute you start worrying about it though, shave it, its the best way!! 

Good luck
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 10:35:09 AM »
I'm glad you've joined us, Newyawka.  It appears that you already know that it's time because you've buzzed it down and will be at a #1 all over before long.  I imagine you already have found some relief just from doing that -- you don't have to worry about hiding your MPB.  You don't have to think in the back of your mind about whether people you encounter are making mental comments like 'man, that dude is really losing his hair; who does he think he's fooling trying to cover it up?'  I never think negative about an MPB guy who's buzzed it down.  But the people who do all sorts of crazy things to make their MPB look good (not possible), those are the people I feel sorry for.  When you take the final leap by shaving it off, you will be amazed at the unbelievable burst of freedom you will feel.  It's difficult to explain fully until you've done it yourself.  Good luck, welcome, and post a pic when you can.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:41:54 AM »
My point however is that i have not yet read anyone post on this site saying that they regret shaving completely.  Lots of people with apprehensions before hand, but not a single person who has come back and said what a mistake.  That must tell you something. 

Argyle, I can't recall anyone regretting it either, and the apprehensions all fly out the window as ridiculous and a lot of wasted time.  By the way, you need to change your picture because everytime I see it, I get thirsty for beer.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:44:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum.You won't regret buzzing it down further
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 11:17:59 AM »

Argyle, I can't recall anyone regretting it either, and the apprehensions all fly out the window as ridiculous and a lot of wasted time.  By the way, you need to change your picture because everytime I see it, I get thirsty for beer.

Yeah that was a great night in Grenoble
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 12:49:04 PM »
Newyawka, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!

I agree with Stew, it sounds like it's the right time for you.  Even if you don't like it, it will only take a couple of days to back to the length that you have it now.  You can do it bro!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

KALBO

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 02:17:21 PM »
Welcome to SBGs, newyawka! 8) I echo everyone else's encouragement...and from the sounds of it, you are close enough already. Why not just do it? O0

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 02:24:48 PM »
First, welcome to the forum newyawka, glad to have you with us.  Second..you know it's time when you have found this site and its awesome support network.  GO FOR IT, once you do you will wonder why it took so long. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 03:04:12 PM »
Welcome, newyawka,

They say, "There's no time like the present"

You can wait a long time for the "right time", but in the end, ya just gotta DO IT!!

I found that, while it may seem like that last 1/16th is a big step, if you are comfortable with the #1,  shaved isn't much different to others around you. 

Go ahead and try it.  If you don't like it, it only takes a few days to grow a #1...

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 04:13:59 PM »
Yeah, just do it. Oh, and welcome to SBG
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »
 ;D Dear New. Argyle pretty well said it. You will not regret taking it down and then shaving it all off. This gives you a "take charge" position in your life. Many on this site have been there, and no one regrets accepting the inevitable. Just don't be seduced by pushers of rugs and transplants. I was wounded by a fall recently; you cannot imagine how eager I was to shave, to reclaim my bald identity. You'll come to it. Give it time. Re-adjust your aesthetic and you'll be fine. Let us know how you're faring. Professor Mellon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 04:44:32 PM »
I echo the sentiments expressed by Prof. Melon & everyone before.
Going sly is a cool feeling. You're kicking Mother Nature and heredity right in the cajones (ok, if she had 'em) and taking charge.

Go for it, I don't know anyone on this board that has regretted their decision to adopt the sly look.

Welcome!
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 07:22:16 PM »
How do you know when it's time?  You really don't, but the fact that you're asking the question means that the time is near.  Better to do it too soon rather than too late.  Once you reach a certain point in the balding process, it's not an attractive look on anybody and you just aren't going to look right until it's all gone (either through shaving or waiting for Mother Nature to very slowly make you completely MPB).

I always swore that I'd shave it all off once I got to that point.  I checked my scalp from every angle, under every type of lighting almost every day, and thought I was really on top of things.  Now I look back at old photos from that time and cannot believe how bald I was.  I really had no idea at the time that the thinning was as bad as it was.  Find some photos of yourself under some bright lights, or find an overhead shot of yourself and you'll know what I mean.

Believe it or not, it's a tremendous relief when the hair is finally all gone.  Don't postpone that relief any longer than you absolutely have to.

Good luck.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 08:42:37 PM »
How do you know when it's time?  You really don't, but the fact that you're asking the question means that the time is near.  Better to do it too soon rather than too late.  Once you reach a certain point in the balding process, it's not an attractive look on anybody and you just aren't going to look right until it's all gone (either through shaving or waiting for Mother Nature to very slowly make you completely MPB).

I always swore that I'd shave it all off once I got to that point.  I checked my scalp from every angle, under every type of lighting almost every day, and thought I was really on top of things.  Now I look back at old photos from that time and cannot believe how bald I was.  I really had no idea at the time that the thinning was as bad as it was.  Find some photos of yourself under some bright lights, or find an overhead shot of yourself and you'll know what I mean.

Believe it or not, it's a tremendous relief when the hair is finally all gone.  Don't postpone that relief any longer than you absolutely have to.

Good luck.

I had almost forgotten what is was like to stand in front of the mirror trying to check to see to how bad the hair looked.  Sure am glad those days are over.... ::)
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed